Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ’05 Tundra DC, XSP #2 package 56K miles. Due to the price of gas, I’m considering an ’07 Taco with max towing. I notice that the difference in towing between the two is 330 lbs. I tow a trailer for my lawn business, but it seems as if the Taco will do just fine too. I only get around 15 mpg on the highway. I don’t know if it’s because of the 20” inch rims or what, but I’ve never seen the 19 mpg that was on the sticker. Does anyone have any towing and how does the truck perform.

:ts:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Waiting to find out for myself also! I've got 700 miles on mine and your supposed to wait for at least a 1000 miles before towing anything. I got a 12 foot trailer (3500 lb) with a gravely 260Z that i'll be pulling in a couple months. Hopefully it won't slow it down much along with the fuel mileage, which so far is only 17mpg hwy with the few miles i got on it. Break in period sucks, lol!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an ’05 Tundra DC, XSP #2 package 56K miles. Due to the price of gas, I’m considering an ’07 Taco with max towing. I notice that the difference in towing between the two is 330 lbs. I tow a trailer for my lawn business, but it seems as if the Taco will do just fine too. I only get around 15 mpg on the highway. I don’t know if it’s because of the 20” inch rims or what, but I’ve never seen the 19 mpg that was on the sticker. Does anyone have any towing and how does the truck perform.

:ts:
I have a '07 Taco V6 4X4 Automatic Access Cab. So far, the best mileage I've gotten in COLD weather has been 21.4. Towing nothing. (I've got about 2,000 miles on the Odometer) It's supposed to get 21 highway. I'm hoping to do a little better when it warms up. This is my first automatic truck.

My old '95 Taco V6 4X4 Xcab (manual) was supposed to get 17 in town and 19 on the highway. I got 27 MPG on the highway and 22 MPG highway towing a 3,000 pound boat through the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire. Now has 141,000 miles on it. The service manager for my dealer, who happens to live across the street from me bought a 4 cylinder Taco at the same time ('95,) and got nowhere near that mileage.

There are THREE towing options (capacities) for the '07 Taco V6.

1. "Bumper Hitch": 3500#.
2. "Tow Hitch" 5,000 #. (NO transmission cooler, automatic trans.)
3. "Tow Package": 6500 # (Transmission cooler, automatic trans.)

I don't think the manual has a transmission cooler.

The POWER in the new 4.0L V6 is a LOT more fun than the old 3.4L.

NOTE the "Quotes" above. TacoGuy

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have an 07 DC 4x4 with the 6 speed and it tows well past my expectations for a mid sized truck. I tow a 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser and with the trailer it is close to 6,000 lbs. The Tacoma pulls awsome, even on steep Tahoe grades (to the Rubicon). On long steep grades at high altitude I usually keep it in 3rd gear and it will maintain a pretty solid 60 mph all the way up. Bottom line, it is an awsome Daily Driver/Weekend Tow Vehicle.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The biggest, heaviest thing I've towed so far is the biggest Uhaul trailer loaded up with all my belongings, or at least what I could fit into it. It towed just fine.

To tow a trailer with lawn equipment the Tacoma will do more than fine. Get the tow package (6500 lb cap) with the manual or auto. I have the 6 spd stick, and only had to downshift on the steepest of hills, such as the Sandia climb out of Albuquerque, or the Apps going into North Carolina. For the most part the cruise control held it steady at the speed limit, but for some of the hills I gave it a little extra gas to keep up the momentum to keep it in 6th. A couple of times it went down to 5th or 4th.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Automatics and Towing: The Toyota owners manual, as well as everyone I've talked to, including ownwers of Gm and Ford trucks, all say DO NOT tow in High Gear (OD) with the automatic, even with the "Tow Package". The theory seems to be.... stay in 4th gear to keep the transmission from continually "hunting".

This seems like a GOOD reason to have a Stick. If I were not getting So LAZY in my old age I would have bought a stick again. :rolleyes: TacoGuy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I drove a Taco on Saturday. I liked it a lot. I've just about got my mind made up. What's the "break-in" mileage, 1000?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The owners manual says DON'T TOW for the first 500 miles. I'd wait probably for a couple thousand before I'd tow. TacoGuy :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts