Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
HTML:
Is this vehicle for sale from a local Toyota Dealership? I've never seen a new car dealership offer for sale a car of that age. Normally in my area of the Northeast late late model vehicles like that one are auctioned off...
You would need the Vin # of the vehicle and proceed to a Toyota Dealership Service Dept to find out if the vehicle was serviced for any campaigns issued. Take a look at the tire carrier underneath the rear bed. That was a popular area of safety concerns.
I personally would avoid this vehicle from what I see from your photos as well as based on the $$$$$$ price. Without the recall history your going at this blind. There is a definite Airbag sensor recall on that vehicle. Do you know if that recall was handled?
The vehicle is for sale at my local Dodge dealer but was sold from my town's Toyota dealer a little over 2 years ago. So I imagine it was a trade on a new Ram or something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just an update about my truck.

Toyota's local dealer was called today. They took the VIN number down and looked up the records.
When I look at Toyota's owner site I see records since 2013. The dealer said that the records go farther back from that but he can not see them "probably because of the big lawsuit". They guy gave us the Toyota number to call and we now have a case number started. Toyota said that the cross member on the frame had been inspected. Of course the issue for us is that the frame has cracked on both of the main side rails behind the cab. They will contact us within the next 24 hours about this issue.

All we know at the moment is that they will get ahold of us and as of this date only Toyota corporate can see the past maintenance history of the vehicle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just an update about my truck.

Toyota's local dealer was called today. They took the VIN number down and looked up the records.
When I look at Toyota's owner site I see records since 2013. The dealer said that the records go farther back from that but he can not see them "probably because of the big lawsuit". They guy gave us the Toyota number to call and we now have a case number started. Toyota said that the cross member on the frame had been inspected. Of course the issue for us is that the frame has cracked on both of the main side rails behind the cab. They will contact us within the next 24 hours about this issue.

All we know at the moment is that they will get ahold of us and as of this date only Toyota corporate can see the past maintenance history of the vehicle.
Holy crap! I hope you are not driving that thing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I checked out the toyotaframesettlement.com. Either the site has incorrect Tundra dates (2007-2008?) or this is in addition to the recall I received a year ago to inspect, blast and treat my frame of my 2006 Tundra Double Cab XR5. Treatment was in the form of a greasy black sprayed coating that gets on whatever makes contact with it. .
Another article calls out 2000-03 Tundras being covered by this recall. Confusing.

My understanding was the "lack of sufficient rust resistant coating" Toyota originally discussed in the recall which may actually be "cheap steel" or "incorrectly processed/recycled steel" effects the pre-2007 trucks.
I only used it lightly for the first 2 Wisconsin winters and have stored it winters since. The frame was still 98% factory black before the recall was performed.

After speaking with my dealer I am planning to take my truck back in to REQUEST a frame inspection this spring. I also plan to confirm any drain holes are clear, rectangular punched holes are not oval, etc (per videos on youtube) and then I'm going to stick a bore scope through any boxed frame sections.
With only 70K on it I planned to keep this truck “forever” and don’t want to regret that decision.

Even with the hassle, I've got Chevy and Ford owners at work with holes in newer product frames that are amazed Toyota stepped up on this. Now having learned about the lawsuit, I'm not sure it was their choice?

Of course, entering my vin on TOYOTA.Com under the recall tab now shows no open recalls for my vehicle. Good thing I keep my paperwork: invoices and letters, and take alot of before and after photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I just got a call from Toyota 24 hours later than they said they would call. Denial of any warranty coverage on the truck. They say all inspections were done according to spec an no further recalls or warranty coverage will be provided. They tried to leave it at that. I requested that they at least send me an email or letter detailing why they won't provide coverage and the woman on the phone grudgingly said she would send a denial letter.

I logged into the owner's site and suddenly the maintenance records showing the truck was inspected and sprayed with oil was done on November 7, 2012 when the truck had 77,000 miles on it. Five years later the truck has 101,000 miles on it and a frame with holes in it on both sides.

I guess it is now time to contact the state BBB and get a web site up and running to detail Toyota's fantastic customer service I have received.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That frame is shot. I bought a 2006 SR5 double cab new off the showroom floor in 2007. I noticed rust the first and second year. We are in Columbus, Ohio. I keep track of it, especially in the wake of knowing about the Tacoma frame issues. I sent photos to NHTSA as I knew 3-4 years going in the frame had no undercoating. About 4 years ago, a campaign notice went out to owners in rust belt states to have their frames checked because of the mounting complaints from owners. The local dealership looked at my frame, and said it wasn't rusted through, and they offered a spray coating. I told them no way and would take it for a second opinion. I waited a year, and took it to another dealership, and they immediately failed the frame. About 3 months later it was replaced with a new frame, brake lines, etc... They did not replace the rear differential which looked really bad, but not as bad as your photo. There are other items under the truck now showing rust that weren't part of the frame. My recommendation would be to avoid all 2000-2006 Tundra's unless the frame was replaced. Not having a proper undercoating means it will eventually rust to a point it could cause a major accident. I can see a lot of issues with these frame based vehicles in 3-7 years, and Toyota having to repurchase them as they did the Tacoma's. Scary, scary stuff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my 2005 Tundra DC undercoated with the spray goo on recall about 3-4 years ago. My differential looks as bad as yours, but I didn't think much of it. I am going to make a through inspection of my frame this weekend. Dealers never want to lose $ on an old truck, so I'm not so sure a coating was sufficient..., but it's cheaper than a replacement frame. I really love this truck, but when engineers apply a black vinyl coating to a polished aluminum window trim, and expect it to last... That says a lot about Toyota it's self. BTW, black electrical tape is a quick fix!

Reactions: sg1efc

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Clyde The Ride, my 06 Tundra was cleaner than showroom. Why? California vehicle. And detailing.
Today it isn't quite as clean but there is no rust. Why? California vehicle.

Rust comes from humidity, Clyde would be rusty if it lived in Santa Monica, and from places where salt is used to control snow.
The rust in the photos appears to be flaking and that can be deep.

I would pass on the rust bucket and expand the Craig's List search out of state.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Today it isn't quite as clean but there is no rust. Why? California vehicle.

I would pass on the rust bucket and expand the Craig's List search out of state.
I think that's why we see so many terrorists using Toyota trucks out there in the Middle East deserts = no rust. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I see many Tundras with new frames,but many are not aware that the round cover on the back of the diff. housing is very prone to rust,too. If yours isn't rusted to the point it is leaking,scrape it down as much as possible and hit it with a coat of Fluid Film. Replacing the diff. housing is not covered by the frame rust/replacement program.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
So I did a little investigative research for this truck on toyotaowners.com. It appears the airbag sensor was replaced per the recall on the truck, but last year around this time, the right front shock broke while the truck was in motion. So who knows what other damages could have taken place, although it doesn't list any damage in the repair order.

The truck spent the majority of its life in New York, which explains the rust problem. Also there is a lull in service record from 2008 to 2013 when it arrived in Nebraska. It just had a multi point inspection April 7, 2016 at my local Toyota dealer and says nothing towards a new frame or frame repair. So I wonder if there's any further action I could take to see if this frame is eligible for repair? Keep in mind I do not own the truck.

Don't ever buy a truck with the expectation that it will qualify for a frame replacement unless the dealer who sells it to you has it in writing that they will be doing it and it will be done. I think a few people on here in the past bought vehicles with that expectation and were screwed. Just consider it a best case scenario. Personally, after seeing that recent LCA and frame pic, I'd walk away as it'll be too much work prepping and painting the frame with POR-15 as I've done in the past.

Reactions: sg1efc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra with only 64,000 miles (bought new). The rust is bad and there were recalls and it was treated with something after the third recall I believe. I started spraying RustOleum on the under frame even before the recalls. The Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride that is used here in Maryland for snow / ice probably isn't helping much either.
Had a hard time removing the shocks and am in the process of changing the fuel filter. Good luck !

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, I'm lazy and have the flu right now so I thought I would just fill in my story a bit more while I'm not shivering! I thought I'd continue posting here since I'm already part of the conversation.

Truck was purchased in summer of 2015 with about 88,000 miles on it. Title and VIN searches before purchase indicated no real issues and no recalls. 101,000 thousand miles later frame is cracked on both sides under back of cab. The frame did this while being lifted to change tires.

Toyota records shows vehicle was inspected for voluntary inspection in 11/2012. report states that 77,000 miles were on the vehicle. No holes were found in frame. Frame was sprayed with the oil mix they were using to deal with the problem at the time. Gas tank straps were replaced under warranty.

So 4 years later and 24,000 miles the frame is shot. Their denial is based upon the fact that they did inspect the frame and sprayed it with oil 4 years ago.

Question: Now that I have been officially turned down by Toyota for any help with the frame on my Tundra... which federal and state (WV and PA) organizations should I lodge complaints with?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
176 Posts
which federal and state (WV and PA) organizations should I lodge complaints with?

Thanks for any input!
You can try making official complaints to the States Consumer Protection Departments/Agencies, NHTSA, Better Business Bureau (BBB.org), local TV Stations sometimes even get involved in consumer complaints for various products. They may love to do a piece on the Safety Risks/Defects on your rusty Tundra. Also, others here have mentioned contacting Toyota Corporate office directly and asking for a case manager = please post back & let us know how you make out. I'm sick too, hope we both get better soon, hate being sick, LoL. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, I'm lazy and have the flu right now so I thought I would just fill in my story a bit more while I'm not shivering! I thought I'd continue posting here since I'm already part of the conversation.

Truck was purchased in summer of 2015 with about 88,000 miles on it. Title and VIN searches before purchase indicated no real issues and no recalls. 101,000 thousand miles later frame is cracked on both sides under back of cab. The frame did this while being lifted to change tires.

Toyota records shows vehicle was inspected for voluntary inspection in 11/2012. report states that 77,000 miles were on the vehicle. No holes were found in frame. Frame was sprayed with the oil mix they were using to deal with the problem at the time. Gas tank straps were replaced under warranty.

So 4 years later and 24,000 miles the frame is shot. Their denial is based upon the fact that they did inspect the frame and sprayed it with oil 4 years ago.

Question: Now that I have been officially turned down by Toyota for any help with the frame on my Tundra... which federal and state (WV and PA) organizations should I lodge complaints with?

Thanks for any input!
Crap... Did I get mine because none of the recalls were done? Call corporate and get the explaination from them. Did the dealer actually request a frame replacement and were denied by corporate? Wow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO I would stay away.

1) The price is too high. I payed just over 11k in 2013 for a 05' Limited with 110k and drove from Michigan to Chicago to get it. Your paying the same thing even later for a SR5.

2) Are you aware of the settlement lawsuit currently taking place for this generation Sequoia? Brian Warner et al. v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., Class Action Settlement

With a little more hunting and flexibility you may find a better deal.

If you could talk them down on price your still going to be wondering about that frame and after you put all that work into it how long are you willing to go and be happy if rust starts appearing in a year or 2?

On a post awhile ago a guy had frame rust concerns and he said after driving in wet conditions and he parked the car overnight the water would drip off the frame and leave rust spots on the pavement. To me that was a reasonable way to say you've got problems.

Sorry to scare you. Again this is my 2¢

Regards.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts