Toyota Tundra Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I have a 2002 SR5 I bought 2 years ago from the original owner in Pennsylvania. It only had 87,000 miles on it and got it for low asking price.
Truck was purchased in summer of 2015 with about 88,000 miles on it. Title and VIN searches before purchase indicated no real issues and no recalls. 101,000 thousand miles later frame is cracked on both sides under back of cab. The frame did this while being lifted to change tires.

Toyota records shows vehicle was inspected for voluntary inspection in 11/2012. report states that 77,000 miles were on the vehicle. No holes were found in frame. Frame was sprayed with the oil mix they were using to deal with the problem at the time. Gas tank straps were replaced under warranty.

So 4 years later and 24,000 miles the frame is shot. Their denial is based upon the fact that they did inspect the frame and sprayed it with oil 4 years ago.

Question: Now that I have been officially turned down by Toyota for any help with the frame on my Tundra... which federal and state (WV and PA) organizations should I lodge complaints with?

Thanks for any input!

There's supposed to be a 15 year warranty on the frame from the date of purchase after the CRC coating is applied from what I've seen people post online. Did you confirm with Toyota Corporate if there's a warranty to the CRC spray and that it starts from the date of original purchase/first use? You may be right on the hairy edge. Mine just went by 16 days ago.

Reactions: sg1efc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So I kind of went a completely different route on the Tundra. Instead I bought something 20 years older for less money and non-running.

Hopefully going to pick it up tonight and start to tear into it. I'm super excited as it's a 1985, 1 owner 4x4 pickup. The best thing about it is it has very little rust if any--rare for any pickup this old.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Crap... Did I get mine because none of the recalls were done? Call corporate and get the explaination from them. Did the dealer actually request a frame replacement and were denied by corporate? Wow.
Looks that way. I'm waiting for the denial letter to see what the actual rationalization is. In the meantime I'm waiting for this bleeding flu to go away. I'll let everyone know the continuing saga as I deal with this. I did have a corporate case manager dealing with this. She had to be asked for a denial letter to be sent. I need to call the dealership again to see if they now have access to all the records. They didn't before. In the meantime I need to gather together all the paper work / car fax / vin search that I did before I bought the truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's supposed to be a 15 year warranty on the frame from the date of purchase after the CRC coating is applied from what I've seen people post online. Did you confirm with Toyota Corporate if there's a warranty to the CRC spray and that it starts from the date of original purchase/first use? You may be right on the hairy edge. Mine just went by 16 days ago.
Well, It's a 2002 so the 15 years is past I assume. I'll need to find the first sale date for the truck. I'm the second owner. The coating was applied November 2012. 4 years and 24,000 miles have gone by. I'll have to do more research to find out what that really did as far as extending the warranty.

Me? I'd be happy if they bought back the truck at current market price (about $9,000 I think) if they don't want to spend the $15,000 to replace the truck from the body down.

I'm just over all disappointed with Toyota. Family has had a Camry, a Corolla, a Tacoma (with a bad frame that was bought back) and we got a second Tacoma. This Tundra was bought thru a car lot in Uniontown PA so It's the only Toyota we bought second hand but all other vehicles were bought from them. Our purchases weren't huge but I think a defective product with a history should be dealt with to encourage repeat purchases.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same boat with my 2002 Sequoia, I purchased it in january of 2014 but before buying it I called toyota and asked them if the recall had been done on this vehicle and they told me it was done in january of 2013 and the frame was fine and it was coated. I find it hard to beleive that after 3 and a half years the frame is now rotted out. In my opinion they didn't inspect it properly and pushed it through knowing damn well it was junk. I called and the recall was ended in july of 2013. I'm really pissed at Toyota for this. I've always bought Toyota's and convinced so many other people to as well. I wish there was something I could do.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Arranb:
Lots of times I don't agree with Sucker but in this case I have to. You said before you bought it you called Toyota and asked about the recall, so this makes me think you knew these cars had frame rust issues. I just find it hard to believe the frame on a 12 year old Sequoia was in any way clean when you bought it and 2 years later its now junk. It had to be well on its way out when you bought it. You said they didn't inspect it right, did you get underneath it before you bought it or have someone do that for you? Yes, it sucks that your frame is shot, but I don't see how you didn't see that coming.
And by the way, because I live in the rust belt, I rustproof every car I buy and do it every year. Its not just the frame that rots, salt gets everywhere and that means so does the rust eventually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the recall on Tundra frame only covered 2000-2003 Tundras? I've never been able to find info on 2004-2006 frame recalls.
i have a 2004 they sent me a recall notice from toyota ,they checked out my frame and sprayed some black coating on ti for free ,my tundra was 10 years old at the time ,..2014

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll explain exactly what happened..... My spare tire suddenly broke off the undercarriage. Needing a new tire as I couldn't get it back from off the highway I went to several different local flat fix shops to purchase a rim and spare. The last one I visited said to me that I should go back to the dealer because there may have been a recall for the bracket. I had nothing to lose so I went to the local dealership here knowing that there was an airbag sensor recall that I had to take the vehicle in for.
Service Mg said that none of the recalls were done on the vehicle. We're going to do a full inspection. Result: we're requesting from Toyota a new frame. Was authorized within a few days of request. Frame came a little over 3 months later. Call from Dealer....Bring vehicle in. Frame has arrived. Vehicle completed Today.
Now. How can you get the same treatment???? I don't want to lie to you. I really don't know.....
Can start by letting us know the name of the dealer.
All, please reference your dealership name and location instead of saying 'my dealer'

Successful frame replacement seems to be dealer dependent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can start by letting us know the name of the dealer.
All, please reference your dealership name and location instead of saying 'my dealer'

Successful frame replacement seems to be dealer dependent

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here some pics of a 2005 crew cab with 95k that is up for sale here in Taiwan... what are your opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Frame doesnt look all that bad but if it were me I would buy some rust inhibitor and coat everything. If you cant buy that stuff there then find a way to get some shipped to you.
And it looks like that CV joint is slinging some grease. Maybe its just the angle but it doesnt look like that boot has a clamp on it anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Frame doesnt look all that bad but if I would buy some rust inhibitor and coat everything. If you cant buy that stuff there then find a way to get some shipped to you.
And it looks like that CV joint is slinging some grease. Maybe its just the angle but it doesnt look like that boot has a clamp on it anymore.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, the boot needs to be replaced. Worried about the cam adjuster, do you believe it is too far gone?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
The cam adjuster is a bolt. If it bothers you that much then replace it. The frame is what you dont want to be F'd. That frame is not that bad......yet, so hit it with a rust inhibitor spray.
You dont have to read through this whole thread but hit the last few pages and just scroll through till you see some pics. This!!! This is what a seriously F'd frame looks like.

Tundra frame rust recall???

Reactions: viducce

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I'd replace the lower control arms and CAM adjustment hardware and wire brush/lightly grind the frame holding them (inside and out). You want to treat that area so it doesn't get worse since it's a key part in holding up the front suspension after you remove the LCAs and before you put the new one in there. It's a good truck otherwise.

Reactions: viducce

·
Registered
127 Posts
Run away. If you can get a frame recall approved prior to sale then go with it. If not, run dont walk away. My central florida truck with zero rust got a complete inside/outside the frame treatment, with the bed off. This one is a total loss imo from pics 9 and 10.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Not sure what you are looking at that is a total loss but I dont see it. I live in the salt belt and I've driven some real piles of shit. You know you're truck is rusty when the only reason your foot doesnt go right through the floor is because rust bonded to the carpet and is holding it in place.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts