Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of an 05 Tundra with extensive frame rust/perforations. I had the recall sealer done in 2014 and this CRC sealer ruined my frame. My deal er said they couldn't help and Toyota customer service also said they would not help me out. My truck still looks really good and runs great, but I can't even sell it because of the big holes in my frame. I live in Northeast Ohio. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Following. I have a 2000 with the same issue in Connecticut. The dealer said they sprayed the frame when the previous owner owned it and Toyota USA said that was all that needed to be done, yet the frame is rusted out. Seems unfair to screw consumers this way. The spray didn't do a thing to help except make it look nice for a little bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am the original owner of an 05 Tundra with extensive frame rust/perforations. I had the recall sealer done in 2014 and this CRC sealer ruined my frame. My deal er said they couldn't help and Toyota customer service also said they would not help me out. My truck still looks really good and runs great, but I can't even sell it because of the big holes in my frame. I live in Northeast Ohio. Any suggestions?
What's their rationale for NOT covering this under the well-publicized recall, service bulletin, or whatever they're calling it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following.. I have a 2004 Sequoia with some serious issues as well. Went through the "Rustproofing" spray in 2014 at Stephen's Toyota in Bristol, CT. I moved to NC a year later and last month I had the rear subframe separate from the frame when I was merging onto the interstate. Toyota Customer Service said the same thing..."Oh we feel bad...but there's nothing we can do. Your VIN isn't showing any recalls."

Frustrating to say the least...pretty sure that rustproofing made it worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with a tundra I bought from my son.....2003 exact same BS from Dealer and Toyota.
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA several weeks ago, I have not got a response but I called them and the
agent told me I would not hear anything unless they get enough complaints about the same problem. So I suggest we get all our Toyota friends with rust problems especially Tundra rust to file a complaint ASAP. I would like to add my family has owned at least 10 Toyota vehicles and still own 4 presently. But the fact is Toyota still won't do squat..they say the anti-corosion treatment would stop any further progression.......horse puckey! Those damn frames are made of inferior steel that will rust, disintegrate, fall apart or what ever.

I suggest we ban together and file multiple complaints until Toyota makes it RIGHT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 03 Tundra and had my frame replaced last summer. Took 3.5 months. They also replaced the entire spare wheel assembly. Up front they asked for $300 for bolts and brackets that would snap when removing them. I agreed. I researched extensively the entire procedure and this was common among guys that had their frames replaced. . Into it, they asked about replacing the shocks ( original 160,000 miles on them ) as well as some front end assemblies, struts etc the one with the big springs etc.All new. This came to $700 extra and well worth it and not covered under the frame recall. No labor, only parts were charged. Glad they did it. Before I made contact with any of the dealerships, I filed a complaint with the NTSB as recommended by other vehicle owners.Easy, 10 minutes. This gets the ball rolling and should sober the Toyota Schmitt bag counter people who try to turn you away from Toyota's commitment. First thing they will do is take your VIN and plug it in. Wa La, you are in the NTSB system and they can't or legally shouldn't turn you away. But if they are jerks, read the writing on the wall and find a good dealership. I researched around and my hunting buddy who has mechanics in the family highly recommended me a particular dealership. I called a few others and didn't like their attitude and then called the one in Charlottesville Va. Great people. Knew the recall, wanted the business. There are dealerships that have their act together so they make money on the recall. Toyota allows X amount of hours . My dealership was good, kept their word 100%, loaned me a brand new 120 miles on the odometer, RAV for all those months. Unlimited mileage, totally free. Nice vehicle.
I turned in the RAV . They had to charge the battery cause it sat all those months and the rep had to recommend I get a new battery. Old batter was fine, just needed a good charge. All in all I am extremely pleased with the work and dealership, service manager etc. They are an hour and a half away and my local one is 20 minutes but would travel the distance to buy new or get service which I won't/can't do, which is not much. So, all tolled, find a good dealership and go with it. Oh, printing out your NTSB and recall papers and have them in hand is good, lets them know not to screw with you, but with the right dealership, you won't need to flash them. Good luck
PS I was joking to all my hunting buddies that the new frame is cleaner than the body.....which it was for a short while.
RichS

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Tundra SR5. 112500 miles. Had frame inspected in 2015 under recall. Dealer said frame was fine and applied the anti corrosion paint to only the rear portions of the frame. Fast forward to 2021. While driving on highway yesterday, the rack separated from frame and I lost control of the vehicle. Thankfully, traffic was light and I was in the left lane. I loved this truck until then. Never had any issues other than regular maintenance. Had an offer to sell it 2 weeks ago. Now it is not driveable. Called dealer, they say it's my problem. Waiting on call back from Toyota. Anyone else have any luck getting repairs covered.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Suspension Auto part Automotive wheel system
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't you people ever look under your trucks? My 2002 was called in for the recall back in 2014-15 and the frame judged ok, but they kept it and put the sealer on it and all that business. They had it for a week, but at least I had a loaner. My truck became undriveable and unsafe in the fall of 2019. I knew the frame was going and gave it a look over every few months. When I could put a hammer through the side of it I knew it was time to move on rather than keep driving it and killing myself. Just like everyone else's here, it was horrible, the hitch receiver fell out one day while trying to pull out a heavy lawn tractor stuck in the mud. The rack look like it was a goner for sure. For the original poster, the sealer didn't ruin the frame, Toyota did when they made a substandard product.

My advice: look for another one. With most of these trucks approaching 20 years old and many hundreds of thousands of miles, the chances of Toyota replacing a frame for you is pretty slim. I found another 2002 with 190,XXX that had apparently been kept in a garage. The underside was expectedly cruddy, by damn it's solid. The rack and hitch aren't going to fall out. That they were only asking $5850 was icing on the cake. They should've started from $10,000 at least.

I looked at several others and most of them were pretty shabby. You got to hunt, and you might pay through the nose for it, but they're out there. And get under your vehicles and check em out--don't drive the thing until it breaks in half.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Amen Lou. I live in the salt belt, and I've rustproofed every car I have ever owned for years now, I dont have a choice, they all rot eventually. Toyota did F up on this one huge, but you're right, people have to take care of their vehicles and take some responsibility here too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following.. I have a 2004 Sequoia with some serious issues as well. Went through the "Rustproofing" spray in 2014 at Stephen's Toyota in Bristol, CT. I moved to NC a year later and last month I had the rear subframe separate from the frame when I was merging onto the interstate. Toyota Customer Service said the same thing..."Oh we feel bad...but there's nothing we can do. Your VIN isn't showing any recalls."

Frustrating to say the least...pretty sure that rustproofing made it worse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went through tat charade in 2014 at our local crooked dealer. Lucklily they were so cheap they didn't do anything. They just went through the motions and told me everything was OKee Dokee. A few years later I had may bed removed and the typical crossmember rust fixed. When they had the bed off, I had it sprayed with POR15. So far no more rust. I still watch for changes so I can " nip it,nip it in the bud" as Barney Fife said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts