Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Tundra SR5 TRD V8 4.7 Access Cab - Stepside with tow package. It has the tow package, transmission cooler, 7 pin plug. I have been told 5,000 max and 7,000 max. Someone help! Please. The sticker that someone told me about is washed out or not there. On the plastic part of the bumper it says tongue weight 500 maximum tow 5,000 but not sure if that is for the bumper or the actaul factory hitch that is on this one. I am trying to figure out what I can tow. I am looking at a 27 foot travel trailer - dry weight 4400 lbs MAX 7,000 lbs tongue weight dry 396. Also can I tow a fifth wheel and if so what is the maximum weight I can put in the bed on the fifth wheel. I guess that would be like the tongue weight only it would be on the fifth wheel in the bed of the truck. What would be the total weight of the fifth wheel I could tow. I have tried to figure this out in the manual with no success. Thank you in advance Ken

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe that with the towing package on my 4x4 DC is 6700, so properly equipped (which you are) the AC probably is 7000. Keep in mind that assumes your not loading up the bed with stuff and putting 4 adults in the truck as you also need to consider the limit of the total combined weight of your set up - there are some good threads on this in the towing forum lower down.

On a side note, with a trailer that big make sure the brakes on it are working properly as trailer brakes are often neglected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that with the towing package on my 4x4 DC is 6700, so properly equipped (which you are) the AC probably is 7000. Keep in mind that assumes your not loading up the bed with stuff and putting 4 adults in the truck as you also need to consider the limit of the total combined weight of your set up - there are some good threads on this in the towing forum lower down.

On a side note, with a trailer that big make sure the brakes on it are working properly as trailer brakes are often neglected.
jmo, thanks for your input. I'm still not sure why the plastic on the bumper says MAX 5,000 unless that really is the BUMPER Hitch, there is a place to put a ball there. I have the factory receiver and presently I tow a little 16 ft 1900 pound max trailer with no problem. This is a little scary going 750 miles to pick up a Brand new trailer I have never towed and never this weight. Yes it will be just 2 people in cab and don't plan on loading up the back but I do have 150 pound ARS cap Z series. Brake systems I am looking at the Tekonsha P3 #90195 any comments on that model? Thank you again for this info, I'll try and find the towing threads. Ken

·
Registered
756 Posts
The number to be thinking about first would be the total weight. 11,800 lbs is what all tundra's are rated for. That means your total weight including yourself the truck the trailer the kids the dog water firewood towels propane spare tire EVERYTHING 11,800. A standard cab 2 wheel drive model with a 150 driver weighs around 4700lbs and would max out with a 7100 lb trailer, an A/C is probably around 600 lbs heavier than a standard cab with that same 150 lb driver would be maxing out with a 6500 lb trailer and a d/c is around 400 lbs heavier than an a/c so it would be maxing out around 6100. Any weight you add is subtracted from the 11,800. A 4x4 model is less because of all the added weight from the drive trane. Passengers and gear reduce this number even more. You might be able to swing a 27' with no slides if it is not wood construction. It seems like the numbers work well with a 26' or less. A nice 24' with a slide will probably be close to max. Take your truck to the scale with the people and gear you know you will need, subtract that from 11,800 and start shopping. Also keep in mind that listed trailer weights are always light by around 600 lbs and they don't account for any options, like air conditioning, spare tires, full propane tanks awnings ect... I hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To Mytunderrocks
Thanks, yes I am trying to do my home work. The Coleman CT240 has an actual weight of 4430, they have to put a sticker on it from the factory now. As you say this is empty. But it does include any option on the Trailer at the point of delivery to the dealer. This is also an ULTRA LIGHT trailer with 1 slide 27'2". Yes it is right at the point we wanted to stay. Our limit was 24' but this came in just a few feet bigger as you say, we were told 24', but when you go measure it, geee they forgot the tongue and maybe even the rear bumper, but nonee the less it is actual 27'2" with a tape measure. I think my truck weighs 6230, if so as you say do the math and subtract 6230 from the 11,800 and that is what I can load the truck (with us) and the trailer, with any propane, water, extra snacks LOL... Thanks again for your help on here. Ken

·
Registered
756 Posts
No problem Ken,
Just so you know trailer lengths are given for just the box, not the entire frame. 5th wheels are possable, but not recomended, they are big heavy units requiring a 3/4 at least in most cases. Your best bet is to figure that dry weight at 5000 putting you at 11230 roughly. If you did get this unit I would try it out with as little gear as possable and add as you go. The scale is really the only way to know for sure what all of your weights are, front axle, rear axle, tongue, and trailer axles. Is there a dealer close to you that you could test tow one of those units and see how she feels?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The rating on the bumper is for the bumper not the drop hitch.

·
Registered
917 Posts
To Mytunderrocks
Thanks, yes I am trying to do my home work. The Coleman CT240 has an actual weight of 4430, they have to put a sticker on it from the factory now. As you say this is empty. But it does include any option on the Trailer at the point of delivery to the dealer. This is also an ULTRA LIGHT trailer with 1 slide 27'2". Yes it is right at the point we wanted to stay. Our limit was 24' but this came in just a few feet bigger as you say, we were told 24', but when you go measure it, geee they forgot the tongue and maybe even the rear bumper, but nonee the less it is actual 27'2" with a tape measure. I think my truck weighs 6230, if so as you say do the math and subtract 6230 from the 11,800 and that is what I can load the truck (with us) and the trailer, with any propane, water, extra snacks LOL... Thanks again for your help on here. Ken
Who is making this trailer for them? I have been rving for 40+ years and that sure seems lite. There are a couple of red flags with the unit. How is the slide operated.Who is building it and what is the true wieght.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You should be fine with that coleman,

I really like this 250RKS its so difficult with all the different floor plan choices but I thought I would throw a couple up for you to look at.

Keystone Bullet | Floorplans

Keystone Passport | Floorplans

We currently have a 2007 Jayco Jayfeather 218 and we are almost ready for something bigger with a slide. Just bought a new house and waiting for our old house to sell otherwise I would have already pulled the trigger.

Happy camping let us know what you end up with.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I just purchased a Aljo 250LT with a dry weight of 5180 and GVWR 6440 and I am towing it with my 2005 Tundra Double cab. I have yet to take it on our 1st trip but I did tow it about 150 miles and it seems to tow fine but more power would not hurt. I have the weight dist hitch, trailer brake controller and air bags in the back but I will tell you that I am a little worried about what it will do fully loaded on grades. If you can afford it get a new 5.7L Tundra.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Petcutz, can you tell me more about the air bags and what kind of WD are you using (I'm leaning towards the EQUALIZER-new one that does all in one bar, no extra sway bar to attach,yet it has sway control, like a Hensley) and what brake controller are you using. We have to bring it home 750 miles but after that we have 250 mile a day limit and we will be work camping which means we will be parked for 4-6 months at a time. This is why I'm questioning the air bags , will I need them? Thank you in advance,Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SR5Mike The Coleman is made by THOR and is under the roof of Dutchman
Coleman-rv.com - Coleman travel trailer and fifth wheel campers - Photo Gallery
It is the CT240 model weighing in at 4412 empty. Today they have to put the actual weight on the trailer and it is signed by a tech. Mine showed 4380. That is EMPTY, But with all options that was delivered to the dealer. So I knew I was going to be close here but we plan to work camp which means, we go down the highway and park for 4-6 months at a time. This is all planned so when and if we start traveling everyday, -week. I will get a different set up. Probably Smaller lol . . .Ken

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I have a reese WDH with a Prodigy Brake Controller. The Air bags are Air Ride and they are currently on sale at Amazon.com for $158 and can be installed in your driveway. Get the air bags they are cheap and work great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts