I found out about the undersized calipers on the 2000 to 2002 on this site
and have found it the best info on Tundras period, that includes the dealers,
which in Socal, have a habit of not giving you the whole truth. Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks, 10cal

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
It's the same truck. The ball joint recall was the only significant problem, and that included both model years.

I've not heard about a 2006 rust problem.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have an 06 dc and while its had a few problems it is still the best vehicle I've ever owned. I always try to pick the latest model of a particular body style as the manufacturer had the most time to iron out any problems with it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an 06 DC and have had no real issues either. We see a fair bit of sand/salt on our roads for a large portion of the year and my frame is fine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a 2005 D/C with 120+ thousand miles. Like noted earlier, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. My son will use it when he turns 16 soon. I recently bought a 2006 D/C with 40K miles to replace the 2005 as my daily driver. Close your eyes and you can't tell the 05 from the 06. I could have had the newer body style but MUCH prefer this one. Find the 2005 or 2006 that suits you and get it. You won't be sorry

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I got an 05 and have had no problems. Love the cab space and the standard bed size.

·
Registered
544 Posts
the only difference an 05 and 06 will have is the access cab's tail lights...

rust... just paint the frame over if its really bad in your area...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for all the info. I may have found a 2005 double cab, fully loaded with
all the bells and whistles including leather, which I don't necessarily need, now here's
the kicker, with 160,000 miles. The truck has had all its maintenance from the dealer
and I was told these were freeway miles. I was told that this truck could easily go another
100,000 miles if it is maintained. I use synthetic oil and do most of the flluid, pad, etc... changes myself. Now, I haven't yet seen the truck, but I can get it for under $10,000.
My thoughts were, even if I had the engine rebuilt, I would
come out ahead if everything else is in tip top shape. Naturally, I would check compression
before buying the truck. What are everybody's thoughts on this. Should I pull the trigger
if everything looks good?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I have an '06 DC, and it has been 100% trouble free!! It is THE best truck I have ever owned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No issues with my '05, but it is a very low mileage truck. Except maybe the "Overdrive" switch glitch.

They both have the same huge turning radius. My wife hates driving it. Especially after her old Expedition, and her '08 Sequoia Platty. Those both will turn inside of the Tundra. I'll admit, the Home Depot parking lot is a challenge.

RE: the 160K truck. Make sure the maintenance has been done, most importantly the timing gear and the coolant replacements. Otherwise the truck should be good for another 100K, no problem. And I prefer leather over cloth by a mile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts