Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 3rd brake light bulbs melted plastic encasement

After taking off the plastic cover to check the bulbs (one burned out), I noticed 2 places where the area above the bulbs turned molten, dripped onto the bulbs, and burned one out. There is a quarter sized hole above the rightmost light. Has anyone had this? I'm looking to do a led replacement like I've been doing in my rv. Any ideas?

Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
i actually just replaced my 3rd Brake light to a led and i noticed the same burn marks on my stock plastic housing above the bulbs too. i have a 06 AC
IMG_20130111_163641.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Yup..Seems to be a VERY common problem. DONT buy a used housing, from a junkyard or ebay...95% of the ones I looked at were burnt through...Lots of sellers didnt tell you this, or show pics of it, of course.
I DID buy a new LED one off ebay, though....The center part is sealed LEDS...the two cargo lights on either side take regular OR LED bulbs...The good thing is the housing had holes molded in above and below the cargo bulbs, i assume to dissipate the heat that burns out the stock housings.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Same on my '04, I noticed the left side looking at it was out when I got it, bought an led replacement off ebay. Took it apart the lamp sockets were crispy, especially the one with the light out. Make sure your replacement is a true led and you're good to go.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had the same problem. I just replaced the bulbs with LEDs and they've worked great ever since. I didn't worry about the burned plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts