Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a normal operating temperature. My gauge sits a tad below center. Just got a ODB2 and will be hooking it up tomorrow. So if any of you have any readings I'd like to see them. Please, just 4.7s.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Anywhere around 200° or less I wouldn’t worry about. It depends a little on the thermostat that’s in it. Having an obd2 reader myself I’m fairly aware of what mine runs at. Pulling a heavy trailer on a hot day pulling a hill don’t be surprised if it gets around 220°. Haven’t tested that with my new radiator though, I don’t think it’ll get that hot now. Don’t believe what the gauge does. It’s meant to make you feel better as the driver. I’ve had my scanner plugged in and watched it while warming up from cold. It gets to the “just below center” spot somewhere around 170° and mine still never moved when I approached 220°. I did some research on this. They do this so people aren’t scared of the needle moving, as far as I could figure out. They spike very quickly when it gets too hot. Kind of weird but if you know how it works it’s okay. I like the old school way, where it actually read the temperature accurately. But you don’t get that kind of gauge anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts