Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2002 Tacoma, but am buying a new 2006 Tundra next week. I have heard all the horor stories about the brake issues in the past. (rotor having to be resurfaced numerous times, etc.) I have not seen anything to show that Toyota has made an effort to fix the problem. Before spending 30K+ on a new truck, I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their brakes in the newer models, or if they had heard of the problem being fixed recently. I am very loyal to toyota, and love my tacoma. Hopefully, the Tundra's are the same Quality of all the tacoma's and toyota trucks of the past.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

· Registered
63 Posts
My '05 will also want to creep or even jump when the compressor kicks in unless I have firm pressure on the pedal. The brakes seem like the definite weak spot in an otherwise great vehicle. Even coming to a stop the brakes don't seem to handle the mass of the truck.

· Premium Member
38 Posts
At 12,000 my steering shook at 65 mph when brakes applied. Dealer replaced front pads and turned rotors.
It seems early in the game for a brake problem. Problem was fixed free by dealer.

· Premium Member
885 Posts
i don't think so. many folks seem really happy with the 06's except minor issues.

regarding the brakes, i found my 04 DC to have weak brakes when i first bought it. after reading a lot of TS posts and working through the bugs hands-on with my own truck, i now have excellent brakes. the only thing i am considering is moving to a little grabbier pad when it's time. i like a little more agressive bite when i step on the pedal, but all other issues are gone. no "pumping up" brakes, pedal is "right there", and i feel really confident stopping.

here is what i recommend doing on any new tundra after you go through the break in period to get the brakes adjusted correctly.

http://www.proactivate.com/tundra/brakes.html

skip steps that don't apply to a new vehicle and focus on the adjustments.

· Registered
63 Posts
Look...here's the deal...I have had Tacomas and the brakes are awesome on such a light vehicle...beyond compare. Buy the Tundra! You will not appreciate the brakes but you will get used to them! The brakes are acceptable...yeah not the greatest...but you will enjoy everything else so much more than a Tacoma! Yeah, sometimes I miss the Tacoma off road at hunting camp but you can't beat the daily ride of the best truck on the market!

· Registered
8 Posts
I'm happy with my 06 Tundra, about 6-7,000 miles and no issues. We have a Honda Accord also and it does take more pressure on the brake pedal to stop the truck vs the Accord but I expected that.

Doug

· Premium Member
885 Posts
things you should be looking for that indicate an adjustment problem:

- excessive brake dust on front wheels and little or none on back wheels (yes, i know the backs have drums and they contain most of the dust, but since getting mine properly adjusted, i have almost none on the front, too)
- nose diving when stopping (front dipping down)
- early replacement of front pads regardless of driving style
- not feeling confident when stopping, especially in "panic" style stops
- having to pump the pedal once before holding it to get a good stopping feel in the pedal

etc.... those are the most common signs in a new vehicle with a mechanically sound system that the rear brakes are out of adjustment. see my link above for the procedure to get the brakes working better.

if you don't have these problems, you're probably ok for now and don't need to worry about it; i personally found at about 12,000 miles that the brakes on my 04 were in bad need of attention and probably were never adjusted correctly at the factory or by the dealer.

· Registered
426 Posts
It's odd to me, hearing of all these brake issues. I bought my rig from a friend, who always had it serviced by toyota and kept up with all the applicable tsb's. I can say these are the best brakes I've ever had, and that includes new vehicles I've purchased. Subscribers can check for any tsb's in the subscriber forum.

· Registered
2,716 Posts
No issues. The creeping thing is not an issue for me becasue I keep my foot firmly on the brake when at a stop.

Towing, it still stops better then my ford did. But it also has trailer brakes helping out. Same trailer and brakes as when it was towed by the ford.

· Premium Member
885 Posts
I totally agree. The brakes on my Tundra are great. Problem was, they were totally out of adjustment. I think the quality of a trucks braking is greatly affected by the time and experience of the tech who does the work. Around here, it's a crap shoot. For those who want to do their own work, it's difficult to find the procedures that work, and different model years have slightly different adjusters on the rear wheels, which makes it hard to share experience in a forum like this.

But, I totally agree. Once adjusted correctly, the Tundra brakes work great.

· Premium Member
38 Posts
15k and the brakes are shaking again. This time at low speed in heavy traffic its everytime I slow for a light or car in front of me. It goes in to the dealer tomorrow AM. I will let everyone know what happens.

· Premium Member
38 Posts
This time the dealer replaced the rotors with an upgraded model and the pads.It was done under warrantee.

· Banned
8,345 Posts
PBadrock said:
I currently own a 2002 Tacoma, but am buying a new 2006 Tundra next week. I have heard all the horor stories about the brake issues in the past. (rotor having to be resurfaced numerous times, etc.) I have not seen anything to show that Toyota has made an effort to fix the problem. Before spending 30K+ on a new truck, I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their brakes in the newer models, or if they had heard of the problem being fixed recently. I am very loyal to toyota, and love my tacoma. Hopefully, the Tundra's are the same Quality of all the tacoma's and toyota trucks of the past.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Beside Toyota using the Tacoma Calipers as a carry over part in the Tundra for 2000 I think that's the main problem's Toyota did. The weight of the Tundra did Not Meet the Calipers and it pretty much was a direct reflection On the Rotor's being warped and premature wear on the Brakes. Toyota addressed all Issues on issuing a Design change (03) which took care of some related problems .. The New 07 Tundra now has 4 wheel disk brakes which is a welcome change coming from this older technology I myself Never really cared for the First Gen Tundra brake setup. I find the first gen brakes overall lacking decent wear patterns and a huge Flaw that should have addressed much earlier..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts