Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many forums and even the manufactures web site and I am trying to determine how much space is used for the JL stealth sub in the center counsel. Site says most, others say all. I looked for pictures and most are not accessible on the forum anymore. I am thinking about getting the JL Stealth, but am concerned about loosing my storage. Do you guys that have it believe that the storage loss is worth the audio gain? Is most of the space lost or all of it? Can someone post pictures of the center counsel with the JL Sub installed? Also, do you lose the power port in the back of the counsel when the JL is installed? Heard conflicting stories on that also.

Thanks for the help !!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
if you're afraid of losing storage in your center console or actually use it then I would probably not get the stealth box...plenty of people have utilized the space under the rear seats for subs

·
Registered
180 Posts
oh and I would also check out the audio and stereo forum...lots of good info in there about this exact subject

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank AGR1755, I did browse through the audio section, but could not find any pictures of the stealth installed. A lot of discussion about losing space, but was looking for specifics. Is 50%, 75% or 100% of the space used? And if it is all used, what have others done to compensate of the storage loss? Where do they put cds and other things that would be stored in the middle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
well honestly I cant tell you cuz I don't have one in my truck and honestly never considered it cuz I actually do use my center console...like I said earlier though I believe your best bet for keeping your console and having a sub is using the storage compartment under the rear seat

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the stealth box. You lose almost all of the space inside the console. There is probably about 1/2" of space left above the box when the lid is closed. It's enough space to put thin items in like, a notepad, pens, napkins, and maybe a remote in there. Not much else. You do have to pull the rear 12v plug out. That leaves a nasty looking hole in the rear. I managed to find a grommet plug that fits in the hole, so it doesn't look too bad now. If you have the rear entertainment option, you also lose that since you have to pull the wire harness for it out of the console. The install instructions for this are vague and incorrect on some things, so I wouldn't recommend that you DIY install unless you're moderately experienced.

I think it is worth it because the stealthbox sounds much better than any sub I've heard under the rear seat, plus I was never one to load my console up full of junk. I can post pics tonight if no one else has by then.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have the stealth box. You lose almost all of the space inside the console. There is probably about 1/2" of space left above the box when the lid is closed. It's enough space to put thin items in like, a notepad, pens, napkins, and maybe a remote in there. Not much else. You do have to pull the rear 12v plug out. That leaves a nasty looking hole in the rear. I managed to find a grommet plug that fits in the hole, so it doesn't look too bad now. If you have the rear entertainment option, you also lose that since you have to pull the wire harness for it out of the console. The install instructions for this are vague and incorrect on some things, so I wouldn't recommend that you DIY install unless you're moderately experienced.

I think it is worth it because the stealthbox sounds much better than any sub I've heard under the rear seat, plus I was never one to load my console up full of junk. I can post pics tonight if no one else has by then.
AZ is correct.
You lose pretty much the entire center console. Which in my opinion there is more then enough room in this truck to place items. I keep things such as paperwork or other small things on top of the box. To put it plainly it gives you almost the same amount of room as the small top part of the console lid.
It does sound much better then any setup I have ever heard without throw a large gawdy box on your backseat.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi ,i also have it. you lose almost everything. you need to put a bin of sort's 1" high max to hold whatever you decide to put in there. otherwise it will & it will slide off the edge on down & it's gone out of site. it does give you 250 max rms. not enough to blow out your ear's. but i nice clear thump.

you can also add a 10" or 8" right behind the conter console . there was a guy on ebay that sell's them. i have a 10w6-2 in the box, on a slash 500/1 amp on it.

and when i really want to have that heart thumping base i have on my back seat a 10w7-3 in a sealed box, on another 500/1 slash amp.
all are jl audio.

most of the people who have the sub's under the back seat's are nothing to right home about. there is no depth for a large magnet.

it all depends on what you are looking for.
storage space? well, don't buy the jl audio stealth box. it's gone.

amps can go under the front seat's, they fit.,or behind the rear seats on the rear wall.
sub's are a challange.
do yourself a big favor a do a search in audio. it's all there. our members have done some really cool stuff.
i seen a guy who added a 10w7 to the rear of the center cnsole . he lost his cup holders, but he now has a 10w7-3 there. and didn't loose his storage space.
great job. to bad i didn't see that, before i did all my work.
good luck, hope you find what your looking for.
gorilla
P.S. please be careful adding amp's to many and you will find yourself, where your battery & alternator will not have enough power to run your audio.
if you find my post's, you can see all that i added there, plus many other's. it will give you all the idea's and info you need
to have exactly what you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. I believe that the benifits will outweigh the storage loss. I am planning on having a professional auto audio shop install the sub and a pioneer head, and amp. Is there any way to re-route the 12v outlet? Has anyone out there done that. Thought that might be a good idea if it is feasible. I'm not looking to blow the doors off with the sub, just looking for something that will sound great and be loud when I want it to. Not really wanting to be heard coming from three blocks away. Have you guys had any problems with rattling in the consol with the sub being under it? Also, AZ if you could post those pics, that would be great.

Thanks again -

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe you can put a different 12v outlet in there. I tried to keep mine installed and squeeze the stealthbox in too but the 12v outlet is just too long. I recall seeing comments from others about rattles, so I lined the interior of the console with damplifier, and I don't have any. Every once in a while I get a resonating buzz from the bass that sounds like it is coming from somewhere else in the cab.

You won't be disappointed with the stealthbox. It sounds great and can get loud if you push it enough. Pics tonight.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here you go, with the kind of junk you can still put inside. 2 cd cases stacked on top of each are just barely too tall to fully close the lid.

I thought I had better pics from my install, but anyway these show the stealthbox mounted in place without the console over it. That rectangular bulge on the back end is what interferes with the 12v outlet.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used the one from Ebay that mounts between the console and the back seat with ED 10" sub powered by 500 watts. It sounds great plenty of Bass and the gain is still low on the amp. I have done quite a few systems in my other cars and I am very happy with this setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also second or third the positive reviews of the Stealth box. I have had one for about 3 months, and I love it. You do lose basically all the center storage space, but the sound is worth it. that said, you may be able to get a louder set up with the subs under the rear seats, but I personally love how slick the set up is. I bought my JL stealth from ebay for around $200-300 and then I got a Kenwood 500 watt mono sub amp for around $100. the amp is hidden under the passenger seat. I personally an very pleased with the set up, its loud enought for me. the only issue I've had, is I did have some rattles from the plastic storage box, which was easy fixed with one layer of dynamat. as far as the 12v outlet, you may be able to find another outlet to us, but I don't think it would be worth it. the trunk already had 3 other outlets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what my audio guy tells me, there is one made specifically for 2wd models and 4wd models. I have an 2006 4wd double cab. Do you guys that have it installed have 4wd?

By the way, thanks for the pics and all the responses. I am scheduled to have it installed the first week of march, so I am trying to find out as much as possible before I go throught with it. But from what I am hearing, it looks like I won't be disapointed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts