Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear bumper is chrome and my 06 DC Tundra is black. I'm trying to get rid of the chrome on my truck (even though I really like chrome). I've seen color coded bumpers for blue tundras, white tundras and even black tundras. I've looked every where for a black bumper and found nothing.

Where do you find a black bumper that doesn't already come stock on a Tundra you might find at a dealer? These same dealers won't even sell me a black bumper.

On that note: If you have a black bumper in perfect condition, I'll trade you my chrome bumper that is also in perfect condition. Must fit a 2006 DC Tundra.

I apologize if some of you already saw this thread in the 2007 tundra section. I didn't realize that there was a 2006 and earlier section as well as a 2007 section.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You cannot get a pre-painted bumper, you have to buy the primed steel bumper from Toyota, and get a local body shop to paint it, I will be doing this soon hopefully :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
had my chrome rear bumper scuffed and line-x'ed last year and I painted the top plastic pieces with a black textured paint (designed for plastic) to darken those too

it's held up great and it looks even darker than these pics, someone even backed into it and it didnt dent

it'll be pretty expensive to get someone to prep and paint the chrome, and from what I've heard the replacements are expensive too. I took the line-x shop just the bumper and they charged about 100 and even sprayed the inside too.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same here with the Linex'd rear bumper! Just did it this past weekend. I took off the bumper and the plastic top pieces, and brought it down to a linex dealer and they sandblasted and sprayed it while I waited in the lobby. Cost me $100 also, which was much less than a rhino dealer quoted me to do the same work.

I need to paint the top plastic pieces black really soon though, cuz I think it looks a little tacky with the plastic still being that gray color. Without intending on hijacking the thread, what kind/type/brand of paint did you use on the plastic? I bought some black bumper paint, but I was wanting to get more of a non-slip type coating.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
had my chrome rear bumper scuffed and line-x'ed last year and I painted the top plastic pieces with a black textured paint (designed for plastic) to darken those too

it's held up great and it looks even darker than these pics, someone even backed into it and it didnt dent

it'll be pretty expensive to get someone to prep and paint the chrome, and from what I've heard the replacements are expensive too. I took the line-x shop just the bumper and they charged about 100 and even sprayed the inside too.

Now that's cool.....:tu:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same here with the Linex'd rear bumper! Just did it this past weekend. I took off the bumper and the plastic top pieces, and brought it down to a linex dealer and they sandblasted and sprayed it while I waited in the lobby. Cost me $100 also, which was much less than a rhino dealer quoted me to do the same work.

I need to paint the top plastic pieces black really soon though, cuz I think it looks a little tacky with the plastic still being that gray color. Without intending on hijacking the thread, what kind/type/brand of paint did you use on the plastic? I bought some black bumper paint, but I was wanting to get more of a non-slip type coating.

Thanks!

I used rustoleum textured paint for plastic- cleaned the pieces off with mineral spirits and sprayed them inside and out (dont forget the bolt caps and license plate light housing) - after almost a year theyve held up great with no wear that I can see, and good color

·
Registered
919 Posts
My rear bumper is chrome and my 06 DC Tundra is black. I'm trying to get rid of the chrome on my truck (even though I really like chrome). I've seen color coded bumpers for blue tundras, white tundras and even black tundras. I've looked every where for a black bumper and found nothing.

Where do you find a black bumper that doesn't already come stock on a Tundra you might find at a dealer? These same dealers won't even sell me a black bumper.

On that note: If you have a black bumper in perfect condition, I'll trade you my chrome bumper that is also in perfect condition. Must fit a 2006 DC Tundra.

I apologize if some of you already saw this thread in the 2007 tundra section. I didn't realize that there was a 2006 and earlier section as well as a 2007 section.
I'll sell you mine for 350.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm pretty sure I was looking to trade. I think I'll pass on a bumper for $350 when apparently I can get mine Line-X'ed for $100. Thanks for the offer. Good luck finding a buyer.
Ya , like somebody's going to trade you for a chrome one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts