Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2006 DC windshield replaced by a local company who came out to my house and replaced it in my garage.

The job took him a half an hour (which seemed fast) and the glass looks fine but the upper seal looks off.

Does anyone have pictures of a correct 2006 DC upper windshield trim should look? Or a part number?

The installer did a sloppy job: (picts below)

• he did not clean off the sealant (but I can probably get that off)
  • he did not press it all the way down on the passenger side (but if I heat it up, I can get that down)
  • the top seal is a bit wavy in one place
I am leaning toward having him come back with a new upper trim piece and reseal the top, but I don't know if I should have him replace the top seal or how the factory job is supposed to look.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ,I install autoglass for a living. That job looks like ***. I would call that company and tell them to send a manager over to redo the job. That upper seal you are taking about, It is not a seal it is a moulding (just cosmetic) The windsheild is set and sealed with a ureathane adhesive (looks like black caulking) That is what you are seeing on your roofline .Do not try removing it yourself, It does not come off easy and you could damage your paint. What happend there is the company you used prob used a cheap uerathane that does not have a high viscosity, so when the tech set it on the ureathane bead the windshield slid down a little. Thats why the moulding does not look consistant all the way across the roof,and at that one point wavy. That is not a oem moulding it is a universal style. They are know for being wavy if they do not sit snug against the roof. Unfortunatly there are alot of hacks in the autoglass industry. The job deffinatley needs to be redone,do not fall for anything else. The tech might try to say he can run some glue in there and push in a new moulding.That is unacceptable,because the windshield is already sitting to low on the pinchweld.
Also ask the tech if he is NGA(national glass association) certified. He should have his licensce card on him at all times,ask to see it....That will be a clear cut sign if the guy has experience or not.
Let me know how you make out,or if you have any questions...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

It looked like a crap job but I couldn't tell what exactly what was wrong.

So, thanks for the explanation. It will help me when I talk to the company.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Bob

PS - I love this forum! There is a lot of knowledgeable people on here

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i hope it isn't safelite that did the job?
if it is, it's garbage glass. more waves than the ocean, & thin, & known to crack easy.

if i had to replace my glass, i would demand oem glass & take it to my dealership to make sure it is real oem. but thats me.
since my ins. covers glass, especially the windshield.
i'd want the best.
cheap front glass,is dangerous.
something could go right though, & hit you.
safelite, has thin cheap glass, & usually crack's easyly.
if you off road, 1 twist and you will need another windshield.
horrible job they did.

print all of this post and show it to the boss, when he comes out to look.
good luck,
P.S.- look in the double cab thread, you should find some nice pictures.
gorilla

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have to replace my windshield as well and that is my biggest fear. I have had a crack for 8 months or so because I can't afford to have it done at a dealership, and I don't want some mobile glass schmuck to leave me with that.

I also had a friend have glue dripped on his car.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi in many states your suto ins. policy cover's your windshield.
i would look at your latest policy. or just call you agent.
or call your dealership, & ask them if your state has a manditory windshield policy, when you buy insurence.
especially if you have comprehensive ins.
good luck to both of you.
safelite, is usually less than 200 installed for any windshield. where at the dealership it's approx. 800.
thats why some have said where they live ,they think safelite auto glass went out of business. they are still in business in many states. i see them alot ,in south florida. since they have the mandadted replacement. this company is going strong. sadly there glass & tech's are horror show. but you always get what you pay for, ins. comp. love safelite. for 179 they can replace the glass. now they have started this thing, where if it is chipped. the try to repair it. look's like new my a$$. demand a new 1.
good luck,
gorilla

1 - 6 of 6 Posts