Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2006 2WD doublecab with a blown engine and a 2006 4WD doublecab that was rolled. Going to document the process here...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worked a little this AM and got engine on parts rig ready to pull. Still need to disconnect trans harness connectors, exhaust down pipes (soaked them in PB), and the flexplate bolts (going to pull diff first). Thing is CLEAN. Such a joy to work on rigs that aren’t leaking oil all over. Also pulled 4WD ECU from passenger kick panel.

T Belt (dealer changed) has 30K left on the interval so I’ll probably hold off on installing the Aisin kit I bought for the time being.

I ordered some exhaust gaskets as I will be swapping the TRD “dual” exhaust from the parts rig to the 2WD.

Stopped at Napa and picked up some oil and Zerex coolant (truck had pink in it). Also ordered a Denso radiator as the rolled parts rigs radiator was trashed- even more so after the test start resulted in a violent failure of the fan bracket! 2WD radiator also toast- it’s what took out that engine.

Other parts to swap include a nice Leer topper, an auto dimming rear view mirror, and the seat heaters. And obviously front end hub to hub and rear end (LSD) since the axle codes are different, and 4WD buttons.

the parts truck has a super clean interior (and weathertechs!) but is oak and the 2WD is grey so not much I can swap. 2WD will clean up nicely though. Was owned by an older gal since 45K when she bought it from the original owner- A dealer mechanic!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a little work earlier today- got the engine front diff and driveshafts pulled from the parts rig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Productive Saturday. Engine pulled. Trans pulled. TRD exhaust pulled. Running boards pulled. Spindle/ hub assemblies swapped. 2WD rig pulled into shop.
7F86A558-8827-4B29-A608-355C72688200.jpeg
CB68EAF4-EAB9-493D-BCB0-6E799491F66F.jpeg
3869AB98-EDC7-48FB-ADE9-8C12F5D8A22A.jpeg
54188BF1-5D07-4A66-A600-33AF8111C656.jpeg
22CC0485-5C0F-4A2F-AF5D-6D814D26B9CA.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Productive Sunday. Got rear axle swapped in. Transmission/ transfer case in. Front diff & CVs in. 4WD ECU plugged in. TRD exhaust in. Had to use limited wood grain HVAC cluster since 4WD buttons are not removable but that’s in. Engine in. I finished up fairly late and fired the truck up to let it burn off all the fluids that got where they shouldn’t be when the engine was in a rollover and also to burp the cooling system. A slight intermittent sound was noted that became more pronounced under throttle- I believe the fan bracket may not have been the only rotating component damaged in the wreck. Will check other pulleys after work today. 4WD seems to engage- lights in cluster function as expected and I can hear a vacuum and click from front diff. Looking forward to being able to do a test drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine noise was due to a loose pulley on the power steering pump. Swapped it with that from the blown engine (which clearly had been leaking). Will need to find a better permanent replacement as it still appears to be leaking (looks like OEM is going to be $250-300). Was able to go for a little test drive. 4WD functions as expected and although it needs an alignment the truck runs and drives quite well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Discovered a slightly bent rear passenger axle shaft. Sure is handy to have a parts rig! Got her swapped out last night and it drives much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have to say I really am loving this truck! I have owned several non-VVTi high mileage access cabs and boy the lower mileage/ extra pep of the revised engine coupled with the 5 speed transmission is like night and day as far as the driving experience is concerned. And although the wheel base is longer, the double cab is amazing- well, at least for the golden doodles in the back seat! I see that the cab side window in the topper is removable- id like to explore the possibility of removing the topper window and putting some sort of a "sealing membrane" between the topper and the cab. Basically so i could roll down the rear window (another bada$$ feature of the DC) and (the dogs) have open access to the topper. I was thinking something like a swimming noodle but surelty I'm not the first to think of this and maybe there is a better solution. Ill have to do some searching.

Up on the list is to figure out what is leaking on my power steering pump- fingers crossed for a low pressure line needing a worm drive clamp! If that's not the case Ill try the front seal. Really don't want to have to fork out $250 for an OEM pump... Also need to change the front and rear diff oil as well as the T-case. I bought a tube of limited slip additive off amazon- I've never used the stuff before. Also need to swap over the gas tank skid plate- oddly enough the 2wd rig doesn't have one. And also get some fresh batteries in my TPMS sensors, as the light is flashing. I have a set of airbags to install on the rear too...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Look up an accordion boot or accordion seal or something to that effect. It slides over pinch welds like weather stripping does but is 2 sided so it will seal a topper to the cab. The hard part will be figuring out a way to attach it to the truck cab. With a standard rear glass you just remove the glass and attach it to the pinch welded area. I’m not sure how this would work though with the roll down window. I’ve thought about it many times though, would be super handy to use, we have 2 great pyrenees dogs and just getting them to the vet is a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts