Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I own a 2006 Darryl Waltrip edition double cab and need to replace my tires. This truck came with 275/55/r18. The problem is there are not a lot of tire options for the rim size. I am not interesting in changing rim sizes and I prefer the TRD rims the truck came with anyway. So after some searching I came up with some tires that might work and that is why I am turning to you for input.

I know many of you have more knowledge than I do in this area, so please let me know your thoughts. My truck has the factory suspension, so please keep that in mind.

The tires I'm interested in are:

BFG All-terrain T/A KO (275/65/r18)
Yoko Geolander (270/60/r18)

My preference is for the BFG's, so I'm hoping they will fit without having any clearance issues.

Thanks for your input.

JustTom

·
Registered
756 Posts
My buddy runs the KO's and only the KO's on his 2500 hd diesel. He has been thru this set in 2.5 years. I got the GY silent armor at the same time and I still have over half tread left. I rotate mine, he didn't, and his lsd is alot tighter than mine so that added to the wear. My experience says the BF Goodrichs are a softer compound which is better for traction but not so good for longevity. It really depends on what you use the truck for.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Between those 2 I would choose the BFG's. I don't know if they offer the size you want but you may want to look at the Firestone Destination AT's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the BFG's are my first choice. Question is will they fit?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get them in the same size you're running now there should be no reason for them not to fit.
The truck came with 275/55/R18 Michellin Cross Terrain (overall diameter 29.88). The issue is neither Yoko or BFG make the tires I mentioned in 275/55/R18 From what I can tell the Yoko's run a overall diameter of 31." (275/60/R18) and the BFG's were 32"+ I'm worried about the tires rubbing on the mudflap or front bumper when turning the wheel.

The Yoko's will probably be a better fit, even though I prefer the BFG's.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The bfg's you spec'ed will not fit, not even close. You need to keep the outer diameter of the tire under 31.5". Another option is to slightly reduce the width of the tire and look at 265-60-18, as this will open up your options (look at tirerack.com) while maintaining the OEM OD of the tire at 30.6". The cornering ability will marginally reduced, but you won't notice unless you drive the truck like a sports car.

Jmo

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys. Long time no talk. It's hard to believe but it's been over 4 years since I started this thread. Once again I'm seeking your advice because the input I've received here on this forum has always been trustworthy. So here's my situation. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, 4 years ago I was in the market for new tires. I ended up going with a set of Yokohoma's and overall I've been happy with the tires. Unfortunately though the tires have suffered from premature wear due to what I believe was the result of a misalignment. Judging by the wear on the outer edge of the tire, it appears the camber was way off. Anyway....it's time for a new set of tires and alignment. I'm facing the same dilemma as before only now there's a third tire brand I'd like your opinions on these tire choices. If any of you are running these on your truck, I'm especially interested in hearing from you. Since my truck is an '06 Darryl Waltrip edition which came with the 18" BBS rims, these are the tire choices I'm considering:
BFG All-terrain T/A KO (275/65/r18)
Yoko Geolander (270/60/r18)
Nitto Duragrappler (275/65/r18)

I'd really like to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
535 Posts
A buddy with an '07 Tacoma has the Nittos and I've been quite impressed. They've thrown him through a lot of mud, among other things. 275 is a big snug for my personal liking, but they will fit the truck like a glove. I have an '06 DC as well, with simple Bilsteins and every tire shop I've gone to has recommended 275s. They will be my next tire, because functionality > looks. My 2 cents, best of luck.

On an optimism standpoint, atleast you don't have the 20" chrome tx edition wheels. Can't wait to trade those things in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the Toyo Open Country AT2 and I could not be more pleased with them. I have the 275/55R20 which is an overall diameter of 31.9 inches and they fit perfectly. I have the slightest rubbing at full turn but nothing that concerns me or that you even notice when turning. I did have to take off my mud guards because they did rub a lot at full turn.

·
Registered
515 Posts
ANOTHER WALTRIP OWNER! Not too many of us around anymore.
275-65-18s may give you some clearance issues on a stock height truck. I am running that tire size with 2.5" of lift and I had to ask the alignment shop to set the caster (positive) slightly outside of Toyota's specs to get the tire to stop rubbing the frame.

Since our rims are 9" wide, finding tire with the correct width and profile to fit is tough. IMHO, anything narrower than a 270 and the tire would look "stretched" on the rim; Ideally, a nice 285 would be perfect, but I don't think you'd be able to find one with the right profile to fit a stock DW Tundra.

Here's what the 275 65 18 Bridgestone Dueler AT IIs look like on my truck - 2.5" of lift up front, 1.5" of lift in the back. (The truck sits level, but the camera angle makes it appear otherwise.) It's a great tire, and I'm going on over 40,000 miles on them with still lots of meat left on the bone. Great on the road and surprisingly super off road. Some of the lugs are chunking off but it's probably due to all the lava rock roads that the truck needs to occasionally drive over to get me camping.

Good luck on your tire hunt!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see you removed your larger than life DW signature emblazoned checkered flag as well. I did that the first week I owned the truck. What on earth was Toyota thinking. Well...back to the tire discussion. Thanks for your input. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with the same dilemma when it comes to buying new tires. My truck has the Bilstein adjustable 5100's set to the 4th notch which provided a little lift, but very minimal. Aside from my screwed up camber setting....a mistake I won't repeat twice, I've been happy with the Yoko Geolanders. They ride nice and look sharp. They seem to be very durable as well. As for long lasting.....that I cannot judge, given my alignment issue. I like the look of the Nittos but prefer the BFG's long lasting durability. Truly my only concern at this point between those two tires is whether or not the 275/65/18's would work with my Bilstein 5100's without rubbing. They are a taller profile tire than my current 275/60/18 Yoko's.

ANOTHER WALTRIP OWNER! Not too many of us around anymore.
275-65-18s may give you some clearance issues on a stock height truck. I am running that tire size with 2.5" of lift and I had to ask the alignment shop to set the caster (positive) slightly outside of Toyota's specs to get the tire to stop rubbing the frame.

Since our rims are 9" wide, finding tire with the correct width and profile to fit is tough. IMHO, anything narrower than a 270 and the tire would look "stretched" on the rim; Ideally, a nice 285 would be perfect, but I don't think you'd be able to find one with the right profile to fit a stock DW Tundra.

Here's what the 275 65 18 Bridgestone Dueler AT IIs look like on my truck - 2.5" of lift up front, 1.5" of lift in the back. (The truck sits level, but the camera angle makes it appear otherwise.) It's a great tire, and I'm going on over 40,000 miles on them with still lots of meat left on the bone. Great on the road and surprisingly super off road. Some of the lugs are chunking off but it's probably due to all the lava rock roads that the truck needs to occasionally drive over to get me camping.

Good luck on your tire hunt!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts