Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ac/heater control unit has gone out, and I’ve been trying to replace it through the dealer.

There is a unit for limited, and another that is “limited-luxury”. They say the “limited-luxury“ is unavailable from any distributor in the country, and may no longer be available at all.

I have found some salvaged units, but I’ve also been told that the units must be programmed to the vehicle. Does anybody know if that is true, and if a salvaged unit can be reprogrammed to a different vehicle than it came off of?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the electronic control module.
None of the controls are functioning. I had it checked out by the local dealership, and the said it was the control unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I’m going to call a local shop that specializes in imports Monday. I tried a general auto shop, and they don’t have the tools to program the part.

The dealer said, if they could get the part, it would cost $1850 for the part, and $2200 with labor.

The used part is $150, and that’s only because I asked them to rush shipment to me.

I popped the panel off in 30 seconds to get the part number. I can’t imagine it taking more than another 15 minutes to get it off the bezel and plug the new one in.

Maybe I’m fortunate that Toyota doesn’t have the part anymore.

As long as I have the right part, and the local shop can program it, I’m hoping to save about $2,000.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok. I’m going to call a local shop that specializes in imports Monday. I tried a general auto shop, and they don’t have the tools to program the part.

The dealer said, if they could get the part, it would cost $1850 for the part, and $2200 with labor.

The used part is $150, and that’s only because I asked them to rush shipment to me.

I popped the panel off in 30 seconds to get the part number. I can’t imagine it taking more than another 15 minutes to get it off the bezel and plug the new one in.

Maybe I’m fortunate that Toyota doesn’t have the part anymore.

As long as I have the right part, and the local shop can program it, I’m hoping to save about $2,000.
I hope you can find someone to program it for you! Luckily I haven't had to deal with that part or any part that needs programing... well except for the zero point calibration but I got lucky with a local shop that saved me a ton of money and hooked it up to the Toyota tech scan tool for $65 total. Do a little more research and confirm its not just plug and play. Maybe you will get away with installing the part yourself and seeing if just that works. Im a little baffled on why it would need to be calibrated specifically to your vehicle. AND call all the auto places around you to see if they have the calibration tool. I was quoted $150 from one place, thousands at the dealer and $65 at a local hole in the wall shop that literally made $65 for 30 minutes tops of work and the use of a computer ha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts