Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom owns a 06 rav4 with v6 engine 60k miles on it. i guess she hadn't have the oil change for a few months or years :facepalm: but as i check her oil the dipstick had some sludge on it and i took the oil fill cap off and their was more sludge, so my question is how do i clean it out? some people say to use engine flush or seafoam but then you got the chance of some of the sludge breaking off and blocking your oil pump, and some say to just use synthetic oil and change the oil after a few miles. what should i do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can try to flush it with a 0-30 weight oil (Amsoil has one) and changing the intervals to around 1-2k miles but your concern should be the oil screen that siphons the oil.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just change the oil as much as possible for a couple of years and let the oil do the
cleaning. Your don't want a massive amount of ick getting to the pan at the same time.
Check the oil level a lot due to the history of oil burning when these engines get in this
shape. So sad. yspert

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I doubt that's sludge and is more than likely a water emulsified oil vapor that's collected on the cap and stick. Short drives in Minnesota winters cause that collection because the engine doesn't get warm long enough to evaporate the moisture build up. Wash the oil filler cap in paint thinner if it bothers you or wait until June or July and see if it isn't all gone on it's own. Trust me it's not uncommon.

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts