Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've searched and searched but I can't find a definite answer to this question regarding a 2006 4wd Tundra:

If I am reusing my present rear differential, can I swap in an axle from any ABS equipped (2004?-2006) Tundra either 2wd, or 4wd?

I've read there are flange and rounding-error gear differences between 2wd and 4wd, but it isn't clear if these are the only differences. I've got a 2006 rusted rear end which is rusted out. It is very hard to find decent 2006es up in New England, so I'd like to widen my search parameters. I'm hoping that beyond the differential the only limiter is the ABS mounting stuff or not.

Is this correct? Worst case I could just take the axle housing, but I'd prefer drum-to-drum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it rusted out on the back "cover" one of these guys will fix you up for much cheaper than a whole rear axle.

Toyota T100, 1996 and Newer Tacoma and 1999-2006 Tundra Heavy Duty Differential Cover
Yeah, that's a good solution, especially after getting a couple of quotes on complete axles! I sort of figured that it would be less painful to just install a new axle, but in the end I guess it'll cost a lot more.

I previously welded the bottom to stop leaks, but then it started to leak from the top. So at least it stays full when you aren't moving.

I would like to know the final answer to this, but I do think that some more patching is in the future.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts