Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , my rear shocks are leaking bad and need replacing asap. No dealerships in the country have any shocks for my Sequoia, there all on backorder,and they dont know when or if they will ever been in stock again. The shocks need to be w/air. I dont have the money to replace the airbags with springs.I was told i should only buy the OEM shocks because of the height control{airbags}, I cant find any anywhere. Are there any aftermarket rear shocks that may work with height control? Its very hard to drive it with the bad shocks. Please help me before i just sell it like it is. Thanks. -Ronnie
Jaw Ear Eyelash Smile Art

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have been running a set of Rancho RS9000's with my '05 air suspension. They work well. Specifically #RS999208. I think mine are set to 7 or 8. They range from 1-9 (IIRC).
Had Bilstein 4600's but they were way too soft for rear air suspension.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have been running a set of Rancho RS9000's with my '05 air suspension. They work well. Specifically #RS999208. I think mine are set to 7 or 8. They range from 1-9 (IIRC).
Had Bilstein 4600's but they were way too soft for rear air suspension.
Hey did you have to do any modifications before installing them, or do they just bolt right on? Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey , my rear shocks are leaking bad and need replacing asap. No dealerships in the country have any shocks for my Sequoia, there all on backorder,and they dont know when or if they will ever been in stock again. The shocks need to be w/air. I dont have the money to replace the airbags with springs.I was told i should only buy the OEM shocks because of the height control{airbags}, I cant find any anywhere. Are there any aftermarket rear shocks that may work with height control? Its very hard to drive it with the bad shocks. Please help me before i just sell it like it is. Thanks. -Ronnie View attachment 156563
I'm running Bilsteins on my Sequoia 2005, Love them. However, my HC suspension has been "adjusted" to run the longer shocks. (I have a 2 inch lift up front, adjusted the rear to match)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I have read that these are a bear to replace. Apparently at the factory they install the shocks before the body is lowered onto the frame making access to the top bolts nearly impossible. Let us know how you make out. I have the same truck, and I'm sure mine are overdue for replacement. Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
kyb excel g and yes, they are a bear to replace, particularly the one on the passenger side. I asked the dealer to replace them while they replaced the frame, cuz it would be the easiest job in the world. they "forgot", and the shocks were on back order, the labor will now be crazy expensive cuz the need to move gas or brake lines. ugh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
kyb excel g and yes, they are a bear to replace, particularly the one on the passenger side. I asked the dealer to replace them while they replaced the frame, cuz it would be the easiest job in the world. they "forgot", and the shocks were on back order, the labor will now be crazy expensive cuz the need to move gas or brake lines. ugh.
I called around and most places said they could install them for $100 on my 06 sequoia

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmm, I did my rear shock replacement in my garage. Hit the top bolts with pb blaster or wd-40 a couple days in advance of the replacement. I too, used the Rancho adjustable shocks. Was not that hard to remove and install the new shocks. I think I had to use some channel locks to grab the shock body and turned that while I had a wrench holding the top nut. This was a few years ago, but it was t that difficult. Use some anti seize on the threads of the new shocks when installing. 👍😎

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hmm, I did my rear shock replacement in my garage. Hit the top bolts with pb blaster or wd-40 a couple days in advance of the replacement. I too, used the Rancho adjustable shocks. Was not that hard to remove and install the new shocks. I think I had to use some channel locks to grab the shock body and turned that while I had a wrench holding the top nut. This was a few years ago, but it was t that difficult. Use some anti seize on the threads of the new shocks when installing. 👍😎
Hey, I took it to another shop, they just cut the top bolt off with a torch, then installed the rancho's. They work great

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced my leaky air bags on the street with my kiddo helping. Here's the part I ordered: Amazon.com: Rear Air Ride Suspension Air Spring Bag Assembly - Pair

And here's the video I watched a few times to understand what was involved:

Only thing I would add is that you should NOT deflate both. Do one side, then the other, otherwise it drops quite a bit more than you might expect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts