Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few months my Nav system has been out of whack. I have been informed by the dealer that there is a new software disk that will correct this problem....The dealer should have it in next week.

Meanwhile, I have just learned today that there is an overide function that would allow a passenger the ability to use the Nav system while driving. (And I am sure that I don't need to tell you how frustrating it is is not have passenger be able to make corrections to your driving route, let alone recalibrate the current location...) I tested it and the overide works...Of course my Nav system thinks that I am currently about 50 miles from where I currently am....

So my question is, is there another way to fix my nav problem? It seems to me that my system is telling the satellite where it thinks it is, but is obviously wrong. Is there is a hardware fix in lieu of the software fix?

Also, I read someplace else about burning a disk that combines the file that gives overide access, by copying the correct file from the 5.1 disc and combining it with the rest of the data on the 6.1 disc. Has anyone tried this with success?

In addition, I would like to mention that my Acura Nav system acted funky for a day until we recalibrated it, but we have not had this recurrent problem.....Interesting that it happened within days of the Sienna system going bad (if not the same day).

Thanks for any advice.

--Julia

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I can't answer the question about your system being 50 miles off. I have read of this problem with Lexus, never with Toyota. Will be interested to see if the software will help.

As to the override function, check out this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...istance/73620-override-for-navigation-system/

Hope it helps.

For the last few months my Nav system has been out of whack. I have been informed by the dealer that there is a new software disk that will correct this problem....The dealer should have it in next week.

Meanwhile, I have just learned today that there is an overide function that would allow a passenger the ability to use the Nav system while driving. (And I am sure that I don't need to tell you how frustrating it is is not have passenger be able to make corrections to your driving route, let alone recalibrate the current location...) I tested it and the overide works...Of course my Nav system thinks that I am currently about 50 miles from where I currently am....

So my question is, is there another way to fix my nav problem? It seems to me that my system is telling the satellite where it thinks it is, but is obviously wrong. Is there is a hardware fix in lieu of the software fix?

Also, I read someplace else about burning a disk that combines the file that gives overide access, by copying the correct file from the 5.1 disc and combining it with the rest of the data on the 6.1 disc. Has anyone tried this with success?

In addition, I would like to mention that my Acura Nav system acted funky for a day until we recalibrated it, but we have not had this recurrent problem.....Interesting that it happened within days of the Sienna system going bad (if not the same day).

Thanks for any advice.

--Julia

·
Registered
39 Posts

Thanks for any advice.

--Julia
The countermeasure disc that the dealer will install is V5.1. This will upgrade your firmware to resolve the positioning issue you have been experiencing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. So it really is not a hardware issue?

I have rad that after I upgrade, I will lose the override function. Is this true?

I have also read that I might be able to burn a copy of my current disc then take the new disc and use that to create V6.1 system that is capable of override. Anyone try this?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Never heard of it being called a countermeasure disc but the disc the dealer will usually use has 6.1 firmware and 5.1 data. If the 6.1 firmware solves your problem, there is really nothing you can do to gain back the override function, it is a part of the firmware. Those without the problem you have can make a disc with 5.1 firmware and the 6.1 data. I use this and it works great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The countermeasure disc that the dealer will install is V5.1. This will upgrade your firmware to resolve the positioning issue you have been experiencing.
Has anyone done this? Did it work? I have a 2006 Sienna that has me in the pacific ocean at times. It adjusts itself in a clear area or after an hour or so or when I stop for an hour. Just don't want to spend $168 for a new navigation disk and not have it solve the issue.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kudos to rfjf! I tried your suggestion (i.e., disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes) and it worked. I just called my Toyota dealer's service department and filled them in. (Toyota's policy, of course, is that purchasing an updated DVD will solve it, but some of the local guys were as skeptical as I of that solution.)

Here are the symptoms I had. Some weeks ago the Toyota brand navigation system on my 2006 Sienna Limited began to malfunction intermittently. When malfunctioning it would not show an accurate location. I now realize that I was losing the GPS signal. (The letters "GPS" show up in the compass box in the upper left-hand corner when the GPS signal is being received.) The only location information it was getting apparently came from the info it was getting from the map, steering, wheel revolutions, compass, etc, which meant that it would be wrong in a matter of minutes. This had nothing to do with being in a tunnel or anything like that. It malfunctioned more and more frequently until eventually I had no GPS signal whatsoever. Note: When I took it into the dealer for analysis, their computer told them the system was functioning perfectly; they had no idea why it wasn't working. (In fact, one person there told me if *was* working -- yeah, right.) Toyota has not yet acknowledged this as a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts