Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer is suggesting I have a transaxle (transmission) flush on my 2006 Solara with 57k miles on it. At intermittent times the transmission will jerk when shifting. ( it never did it when the tech drove it, and no error codes were in the computer) On the dipstick, it says the fluid "does not need to be changed under normal driving conditions" I can't find anything in the manual on which type of fluid ( I think in 2006 Toyota switched from type IV to WS?) In the maintenance section, it only calls for period inspection of the fluid, but never a change or flush. He wants a $199 for the service, which is a pretty good profit for $40 of fluid and an hours labor. I have 2 questions

1. Which type of fluid does it use
2. What's the likelihood of the fluid being bad at 57k in miles and causing intermittent transmission jerks?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 06 Solara & its saysin the manual not to touch the fluid unless you have a problem or it has extreme use. Otherwise, leave it alone. Anti freeze does not get changed untill 100 thousand miles. I think the type of fluid is printed on the dip stick. If not it should be in the manual. Its not just a flush but the fluid has to be sucked out of the converter & a new gasket & filter installed. You just don't drain the fl uild out of the pan. If the fluid is discolored or smells burnt change it. More on this tomorrow when I check my manual.
Coal miner

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I would suggest a tranny flush at 60K miles if you drive it hard or use the "Steptronic" shifting like I always did. My tranny fluid was turning pretty brown at the end and I was right at 60K miles.

The AT on the Solara is really crap - especially the '06+!! You'll see more of my rants about it in here so I wont' go into it in this thread. ;)

THe transaxle, however, should be an issue unless - as others have stated, you have a problem.

The tranny flush should help smooth out the shifting a little though.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
326 Posts
According to the drivers manual for my 06 Solara itstates the fluid never has to be changed under normal circumstances. Type of fluid for that transaxle is Toyota genuine ATE - type T-IV. This is also printed on the dip stick. On the top of the stick it again states no service required. Good Luck, Coal Miner in New Jersey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts