Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2006 speedo calibrator D-cab 4x4

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnny_5 
#1 ·
Which one do you guys recommend? My truck came with the 245 70 16's and I put on the 265 75 16's. The tires are not real big but they are just over 2 inches taller than the ones that come on it from the factory. Driving around town you can tell a little difference but when I tow you can really tell a big difference with the shift points. Looks like the choices are limited and I am not sure if anybody makes one for the 06. They all seem to stop at 05 models.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

#4 ·
I bought the TruSpeed speedo calibrator for my 2006 4x4 DC. I got the wiring diagrams for the combination meter from Mustang on this forum (works for Toyota). The install was easy and the calibrator seemed to work, but it fluctuates wildly at random times. Some days when I drive to work it is 10 mph fast, and other days it is 10 mph slow. I have a gps that I use to keep track of my speed so I can tell when it is off.

I called Superlift and ordered a replacement, which I installed but it had the same issues. I'm about to send the unit back but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or whether anyone had encountered the same problems. I am guessing it has something to do with the speedo signal and the combination meter on the 2006 models, but I don't know enough to know why.

#6 ·
Abbott ERA is the only one I've had good luck with, been working perfect for about 8 years and has been reset for countless gear and tire changes. Got mine installed behind the passenger side kick panel.

Tried the Superlift prior to that and it was total and complete crap, some days it would say I was doing 100 MPH when I was really rolling about 30 MPH and was a total PITA to calibrate. My Abbott has my speedo dead nuts on with my GPS and the little radar signs the police put on the side of the road.

Was trying to work with Dakota Digital prior to deciding on using the Abbott, Dakota's customer service & attitude left a lot to be desired...........

Abbott Enterprises - ERA

#7 ·
hi, i would suggest you call your dealership & ask them, what they use.
when they install 20" rims & tires?
gorilla
WTF? You don't need to recalibrate for larger wheels if the tires are the same diameter.

I bought the TruSpeed speedo calibrator for my 2006 4x4 DC. I got the wiring diagrams for the combination meter from Mustang on this forum (works for Toyota). The install was easy and the calibrator seemed to work, but it fluctuates wildly at random times. Some days when I drive to work it is 10 mph fast, and other days it is 10 mph slow. I have a gps that I use to keep track of my speed so I can tell when it is off.

I called Superlift and ordered a replacement, which I installed but it had the same issues. I'm about to send the unit back but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or whether anyone had encountered the same problems. I am guessing it has something to do with the speedo signal and the combination meter on the 2006 models, but I don't know enough to know why.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have problems with the Truspeed. There seems to be alot of people on here that haven't had any issues with theirs. My first one worked flawlessly for 9 months and then took a sh!t. The replacement they sent me is doing the same thing as yours. It seems to be temp related. Temp last week was mid 50s and it worked fine. Now in the morning when it's cool out my speedo reads 5 mph slow. In the afternoon when it's hot out my speedo reads 7 mph fast. I called Superlift 2 weeks ago and customer service told me they had to talk to the R&D guy and get back to me. Still haven't heard anything from them.

#8 ·
hi, do as you see fit.
follow johnny5, since he know's all.
including whats behind my dash & whats connected to my ECU's tundra.
thats why his speedo is off & mine is dead on.

he knows everything.
yes, he is correct about the diameter.
if you had 31" tall rim & tire combo & no matter what combo you put on, if it still was 31"s.
you don't need to do anything.
gorilla

#9 ·
Abbott ERA is the only one I've had good luck with, been working perfect for about 8 years and has been reset for countless gear and tire changes. Got mine installed behind the passenger side kick panel.

Tried the Superlift prior to that and it was total and complete crap, some days it would say I was doing 100 MPH when I was really rolling about 30 MPH and was a total PITA to calibrate. My Abbott has my speedo dead nuts on with my GPS and the little radar signs the police put on the side of the road.

Was trying to work with Dakota Digital prior to deciding on using the Abbott, Dakota's customer service & attitude left a lot to be desired...........

Abbott Enterprises - ERA
I will have to give the ERA a try....my superlift stopped working after a year as well.

#10 ·
hi, do as you see fit.
follow johnny5, since he know's all.
including whats behind my dash & whats connected to my ECU's tundra.
thats why his speedo is off & mine is dead on.

he knows everything.
yes, he is correct about the diameter.
if you had 31" tall rim & tire combo & no matter what combo you put on, if it still was 31"s.
you don't need to do anything.
gorilla
I have asked you in the past what calibrator you have and you won't tell me.:confused: I never said I knew it all. I simply posted my experiences with a product being discussed while you babble BS about the amazing calibrator you have, but won't tell us what kind it is. It must be another one of your "secrete"(sic) mods ;-). My dealer doesn't have any type of calibrator available, so maybe you can post your dealer's contact info so I can order the same one you have.

Edit: You've posted in several other threads that you have 295/45R20 tires which are about 30.5" tall. According to the sticker on my doorjam, the stock tires are 265/70R16 which are about 30.5" tall. The height is what affects the speedo, not width or wheel size. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the tire size can't be changed in the ECM I'd guess the trucks come from the factory calibrated for a roughly 30.5" tall tire. Your speedo should be dead on without the calibrator.;)

#11 ·
here you go: call al hendrickson toyota
since i babble, & never say anything or answer questions.
i belive i have opened a world of info for many. it might not be what you want.
but i have done alot to my tundra.
i would write a list, but that would be bragging, in your eyes.
gorilla

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.