Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum...although I have read many of the posts on here about the Tacoma issues!

I purchased a 2006 Tacoma 4dr SR5 Prerunner new...I currently have 96,000 on it....about a month after I had it I complained to the dealer about the transmission downshifting erratically...Of course they couldn't reproduce the problem...went back several times...no luck...typical run around. I grew up around transmissions because my Father owned a transmission shop for 30 yrs. I'm very familiar with automatic transmissions and how they should function. They told me it was the computer adjusting to my driving. A year later I went back...same issue...nothing done. Although, They did fix TPS and UNI belt under warranty. Very disappointed about the TSB rear spring replacement had no idea until recently. I guess that's not the dealer responsibility...Truck bottoms out all the time with 4 people and 4 sub 25 lbs mountain bike...I can believe this not a recall...does the part have to fail to qualify for a recall?

I've dealt with transmission shifting but I'm looking into to bringing it in for the 100,000 service on the transmisson service which apparently the service interval has changed after reading a post on here...wish I would've been notified by dealer. BTW, I usually would perform my own service but since its all internal...looks like its not possible. Sure wish there was dipstick in there to check how the fluid is doing.

What should I have done at 100,000?

1)Transmission service...dealer only...heard there is a TSB out there but with my milage doubtful

2) spark plugs...DIY..correct?

3) Rear diff

BTW, the Truck has been great besides the shifting issue and rear bottoming out.

I never had these problems with other Toyota (1985 4Runner) 5 spd manual with 250,000 :)

I love Toyotas but I'm starting to question their quality...especially whats going on with all these recalls.

Thx in advance for your advice

·
Registered
663 Posts
1. I'm getting close too. I'm at 85K miles now. Soon I'll be taking it in for a transmission flush. And I might go ahead and do the coolant soon too.

2. Spark plugs on the V6 are supposed to be changed every 30K miles (only the 4 cylinders have 100K mile plugs). If you're on your original plugs, I gotta say "Wow!". I changed mine the first time at 48K miles and they were still looking really good. I started changing them every 30K after that though.

3. Definitely do the rear diff if you haven't done so before. Also, if you've got a Limited Slip Diff, then you should be changing it every 30K miles (Many of the SR5's have a LSD and many don't. Just depends on which SR5 package you got. It was part of the SR5 package on mine). And if you don't have the original window sticker which will list it as part of the package, there'll be a big LSD Oil Only sticker on the back of the rear diff.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I am not a mechanic but I might try to service (change trans fluid) on my Tacoma. It would have been nice to have a dipstick though.
Just curious, do you know the cost of a dealer transmission flush & any fluid, filter or screen replacement ?

If you are paying for it ... the TSB rear spring issue can be fixed a lot cheaper than the Toyota OEM rear spring replacement parts ... you could perhaps use airs bags or helper springs.

With a little help, you can do most, if not all of that stuff, and save yourself a fortune.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just curious, do you know the cost of a dealer transmission flush & any fluid, filter or screen replacement ?
I got quoted from the service adviser I use that because they have to do the flush with the machine, it's $189. That does not include the filter/screen replacement, just the flush.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, forgot to mention I had the plugs replaced at 45,000 but i was thinking it looks pretty easy...DIY job on the plugs...I need to keep up with plugs 30,000 sneeks up ya fast.

I had the transmission serviced by Toyota on Friday...$188 total...next time I'll do it looks pretty easy...after seeing DIY post

I replaced the rear diff with Royal Purple on Sunday.

Next weekend rear brakes

Thx again for the advice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts