Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 4 door 2006 Tundra SR5, XSP. I had the dealer check the vin to determine if vehicle had a factory or port installed keyless entry. Results indicated none installed.

Used keyless entry modules are available at various salvage yards and my question is;

Does anyone have installation instructions/wiring diagram or any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i haven't done this, but if you use the search function over in the electrical forum you might find your answer there. good luck and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
126 Posts
For new cars, you have to have door transmitter system (unlock and lock clicker) and a factory installed security system to add remote start. I haven't looked into this for older Tundra's and other early 2000 decade Toyota's in general. I work at a dealership so I just checked a Toyota accessory website and there are two systems,

1) Glass Breakage Security - you may find this hard to believe, but it detects glass breakage. Deceptive name huh
2) VIP Security system - upgraded security that REQUIRES factory keyless entry

I find it strange that there isn't an option to install keyless entry, but I'd think the only way to do it is through picking one off a junk one. It may be a pain though because you'll want to call a dealership with the truck's VIN so they can check its Port installs to make sure the truck has what you need. As far as wiring, I have no idea. I'd focus on finding a truck that actually has that system that you can take first, it may be an adventure.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Then I presume you do not have an alarm as well. I'd suggest you get one of the less expensive Viper alarms and that should solve your issue and give you a quality alarm.

·
Banned
444 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Viper system gives you security and remote start and its cheaper. Thats the reason he recommended Viper. I think thats a better idea money wise as well.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I find it odd that a xsp model doesn't have at least the keyless entry system. If it in fact does not have one then you're better off with an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Then I presume you do not have an alarm as well. I'd suggest you get one of the less expensive Viper alarms and that should solve your issue and give you a quality alarm.
I dont have a clue how to install any type of remote start but a buddy from work installed a 2 way viper remote starter in my tundra. From what he told me, you can add remote keyless entry to pretty much any vehicle that has power locks. Most good remote starters can give you keyless entry, alarm and remote start. Most are definately better than factory. They dont shut off when you open the door, and a lot of them have options you can add. Like remote power window up function for a few extra bucks. So, as long as you have power locks, an after market set up is definately the way to go, like Spenser and most of the others have said.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Don't have any experience with the Tundras, but I have worked with 7th gen Celicas which I would imagine are not too dissimilar. For the keyless entry only, there are literally one or two plugs that you plug into the module. If you get the Toyota VIP alarm, it is mostly plug and play, but you may have to splice one or two wires. Just be sure to make note of where they were connected on the vehicle form which you are removing them and connect them in the same place on your truck. There will be a lot of plugs though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Honestly, Toyota systems are restrictive and overpriced. I'd pay $270 or whatever for Viper.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
ummmm...He wasn't asking about an alarm.
No Kidding? The suggestion was: if you are going to spend money on key less entry, one just might consider spending a little more to get a nice quality alarm that .....< drum roll>... comes with keyless entry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts