Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to change the pressures in the tires for load/no-load conditions without upsetting the tire pressure monitoring system on the 2006 Tundras? My parents have one and it seems like the rear tires have to be pumped up too much for no-load driving. It makes the rear seem especially harsh. They would like to run the same or less pressure in the rear if that's possible. How do you reset the system for a desired air pressure?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Check Section 1-7 of the Owner's Manual for more details, but you just need to [re]initailize the TPMS after adjusting the tires for proper inflation (or for other reasons as noted in the manual).

From the Manual:
To initialize the system, perform the following:
1. Park the vehicle at a safe place and apply the parking brake. Stop the engine.
2. Adjust the pressure of all the installed tires to the specified level. (See “Tires” in Section 8.)
3. Turn the ignition key to “ON”.
4. Push and hold the reset switch until the low tire pressure warning light blinks three times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds simple enough. My dad apparently didn't find those instructions in the manual. Is the reset switch the ODO reset switch or is there another?

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Check Section 1-7 of the Owner's Manual for more details, but you just need to [re]initailize the TPMS after adjusting the tires for proper inflation (or for other reasons as noted in the manual).

From the Manual:From the Manual:

Quote:
To initialize the system, perform the following:
1. Park the vehicle at a safe place and apply the parking brake. Stop the engine.
2. Adjust the pressure of all the installed tires to the specified level. (See “Tires” in Section 8.)
3. Turn the ignition key to “ON”.
4. Push and hold the reset switch until the low tire pressure warning light blinks three times.
The next step is to leave the ignition key on for 20 minutes while the system resets and registers all the tires. If you don't wait, it doesn't reset.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The next step is to leave the ignition key on for 20 minutes while the system resets and registers all the tires. If you don't wait, it doesn't reset.
not to argue, but I didn't wait 20 minutes, I think I waited about 5 and it seemed to do the trick!

·
Registered
369 Posts
. . . 4. Push and hold the reset switch until the low tire pressure warning light blinks three times.

Initialization is completed over for more than 20 minute.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Just an FYI--As you can see from the part I bolded, it appears something got lost in translation, which is why I left it off and referred Yardstick to the Owner's Manual. (Didn't feel like retrieving my paper copy to see if it was written any better than the pdf.)

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
not to argue, but I didn't wait 20 minutes, I think I waited about 5 and it seemed to do the trick!
You had better luck than I did. (or maybe your truck is smarter!) It was driving me crazy. I tried it four times with no luck before I read the manual. Once I let it sit for 20 minutes, the light went out. Guess it just depends on how fast it recognizes the signals. 20 minutes is probably the longest it should go before resetting. I'll experiment next time I rotate. I run 32 in the front and 35 in the back and have to reset when I lower the pressure on the tires going to the front.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My light's been on for about a month.

Do these have sensors in the spare tires too?

·
Registered
104 Posts
My light's been on for about a month.

Do these have sensors in the spare tires too?
Yes. My light came on about a month ago when the temps here dropped. All 4 of my tires were ok but I filled them all up a little bit. The spare read about 22lbs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes. My light came on about a month ago when the temps here dropped. All 4 of my tires were ok but I filled them all up a little bit. The spare read about 22lbs.
Figures. And it looks like the spare will need to be dropped to get to the valve stem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts