Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the transmission in the 2006 Tundra supposed to stay engaged while decelerating/coasting? I've been driving my parents' Tundra all week and it seems like if I take my foot off the gas it drops speed a lot quicker than I think it should. I can feel when it downshifts while I'm coasting too. It's a strange feeling compared to my 2001 Silverado that seems to be able to coast for a long time without dropping much speed. It could be normal, but it seems like the Tundra encourages staying on the gas longer than in my truck. I wonder if that could be contributing to my 4.8L V8 getting 17mpg where their 4.0L V6 is getting 16mpg. It has been in OD the whole time too.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I've only noticed mine does it more on downgrades but as soon as you tap the brakes it shifts into a lower gear to help with the deceleration.

It's pretty normal.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Disconnect your battery for a few minutes and drive the truck a little harder than normal - the truck will adapt quicker to your driving style i.e. not downshift as much while coasting.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Mine seems reluctant to upshift also. This gives some high rpm part throttle cruising and the engine braking coast down mentioned. It almost seems like Toyota wants an aggressive transmission calibration to keep the revs up for maximum acceleration (or perhaps anticipation of maximum acceleration) given the high revving nature of the four valve engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adaptation to driving style seems entirely plausible. My dad tends to drive ~5 mph over the limit and not let the vehicle coast much. Every once in a while I find myself looking for the brake pedal on the passenger side when riding with him. :D If it has adapted to that style of driving it probably won't do so well with mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wonder if that could be contributing to my 4.8L V8 getting 17mpg where their 4.0L V6 is getting 16mpg. It has been in OD the whole time too.
I consitantly get 19.5 average mpg in my 4.0. I've gotten as high as 22 one tank. I don't think it's the transmission that getting those low mpg numbers. Although, I do agree, the downshifting and staying in gear is a bit annoying. That should only happen in a tow/haul mode, or OD off, Toyota should have addressed this.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
The owners manual states that this is normal behavior and the tranny was designed to do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts