Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has 130K miles. Battery check is good, tested under load) All the lights come on when I turn the key but no start or clicking of a solenoid. Checked fuses, all look ok. Will check for starter solenoid tomorrow see if it is working and to see if power is available to the pin. I know where the starter is located so I wanted to check everything possible before heading in that direction. Besides what I mentioned, are there any other tests I should look before suspecting starter?

Thank you

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are getting power to the solenoid and it's not clicking, replace starter. If the solenoid does click but no start, check power to the starter. If power is good, replace starter. I know it's under the manifold, so definitely a good idea to give it a good thorough check. But besides what I mentioned, I don't know what else to check. Never replaced mine yet. Was replaced before I got it. Doesn't look like a bad intake to pull though if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Been there, done that. Get ready for an adventure.

Getting access to the starter by pulling the manifold is relatively easy, but replacing the starter itself is not easy. The mounting bolts of the starter are accessed between the rear of the motor and the firewall. That is difficult at best, as the gap between the two is just enough to get a wrench on the bolts, but the big difficulty is accessing those bolts while supporting yourself above the motor.

After my adventure, I vowed that, if I ever do it again, I will build a platform above the motor to lay on while doing it. It will be easy to construct it of heavy punched angle and 3/4" plywood. At the rear, it will bolt to the firewall. At the front, it will bolt to the "front firewall", i.e. somewhere near the bumper mounts. When mounted, it should be rock steady. I'll pull the manifold, install the platform, lay on it on my stomach, and swap the starter.

Yes, really.

Open the hood and take a long look at it. I could not reach the starter mounting bolts by any method other than climbing into the engine compartment. Neither I, nor the engine compartment, are made for that. It was a long day.

What I found after removing the old starter was that the solenoid contacts were worn out, and this was the problem. They arc with every use and eventually won't make contact. The starter itself was fine.

So, IF that is the problem with yours, then you have two alternatives: 1) replace the starter and solenoid assembly; or, 2) replace only the solenoid contacts.

The tradeoff is: Since you are going to a lot of effort to get access to the starter in the first place, you ought to replace the whole thing, as it would not be pleasant to replace the contacts now, only to replace the starter a bit later. But, accessing the solenoid is relatively easy, you would avoid the difficulty of building a platform and replacing the starter, and the contacts are very much less expensive than the starter.

My suggestion, presuming you have easy access to the parts needed, is to tear it down and examine the contacts. If they are the culprit, then make a decision: replace the contacts, or replace the whole shebang. Then get the parts and get after it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just realized this was an 06 so I assume you have the plastic manifold? In that case just make sure you don't over torque the bolts going back in. They probably have aluminum spacers embedded in the plastic but still wouldn't wanna over torque them. Mines an aluminum intake

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I'll pay close attention to this. I'll more than likely use the torque value to be on the safe side.

Thanks again the info was very helpful!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a test procedure for doing this? I found the st relay (purple) ohm's test on the two copper terminals with zero reading (good) and I have reading across the other two terminals (good). So what readings do I need where this plugs in? I have 12v across where the copper terminals connect. Could use some help from here. Thanks

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had computer issues and my email not working on this site for some reason. I put a jumper in between the two terminals where the solenoid goes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
bring up an old post I'm having similar issues what's the CT solenoid? thinking about checking that and the started relay. Thanks...

·
Registered
81 Posts
typo of ST solenoid? i assume he meant starter solenoid as it's the only thing that makes sense to me given the context of this post. i read about these starter threads and shudder to think about having to do it on my 02. it doesn't sound fun. i haven't really looked under my manifold to see if you can even see the starter. but if you can reach the solenoid with some long rod like a 2ft extension or something similar, you can sometimes confirm if it's a bad solenoid by having someone crank while you tap the solenoid. if it cranks when you tap, your confidence goes up that it's the solenoid. you still have to do all the hard work to replace but knowing more before you take things apart is good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea I would think he meant ST instead of CT. Yea mine is getting worse everyday, sometimes taking up to 3-4 times to cycle the switch before it turns over. Most of the time I turn switch to crank it up and you just hear the click like a dead battery, but all the lights are on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i'd bet you beers that's the solenoid going bad. you're lucky it will still crank with a few retries. better get it fixed before it stops working completely (not trying to jinx you)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yea for sure I'm just going to replace the starter, no since in getting all the way there and not replacing a 14 year old starter while I'm in there

Reactions: LGL002

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I got the starter out last night. What a PITA. Took around 2 hours all said and done. Really not too bad until you actually get to the starter. Now just waiting on the new one to come in and I'll put it all back together.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would replace the entire starter after opening the engine up. Just like replacing a timing belt on these and not dealing with pullies and the water pump. Why do you think they sell them as a "kit"? Just an old guy that has retraced many steps and replaced a few "almost new" gaskets because I used a band-aid approach... Chap

·
Registered
260 Posts
Found the same when I did my starter and may be doing again 4 months later. Truck won’t start again. Hate myself for getting parts store parts. Would be a much easier job if the bolts went through the starter then threaded into the top of the block instead of going through the block right next to the firewall then into the starter

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got everything back together last night. All in all not a terrible job, just have to learn those starter bolts. But yea def use Toyota parts. I've owned Toyotas for the last 15 years and used aftermarket parts with no success. Toyotas like Toyota parts for some reason they don't accept aftermarket as well as domestic vehicles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Got everything back together last night. All in all not a terrible job, just have to learn those starter bolts. But yea def use Toyota parts. I've owned Toyotas for the last 15 years and used aftermarket parts with no success. Toyotas like Toyota parts for some reason they don't accept aftermarket as well as domestic vehicles.
I never use aftermarket. Was gonna be hard to afford the denso unit and couldn’t convince the wife. Only used aftermarket twice and it seems to have bit me now both times. A starter and an o2 sensor. Everything else has been oem replacement for good reason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts