Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I saw some old posts about this, but didn't see how anyone solved it.
I am having an issue where the engine has a hard time starting. It will crank strong, but seems like it is lacking or getting too much fuel. It cranks for 3-4 seconds and sputters then starts and runs just fine. It is not as much of a problem when doing a cold start in the morning, but seems worse when starting after has been driven, then shut off for 30 min - an hour.

All I know is that this is not normal and it is not a battery or starter issue.

I saw some old posts that suggested replacing the cold start injector, but the 2006's do not have one. Other posts suggest the coolant temperature sensor. Just wanted to see what worked for others? Thank you.

· Registered
100 Posts
Hi everyone, I saw some old posts about this, but didn't see how anyone solved it.
I am having an issue where the engine has a hard time starting. It will crank strong, but seems like it is lacking or getting too much fuel. It cranks for 3-4 seconds and sputters then starts and runs just fine. It is not as much of a problem when doing a cold start in the morning, but seems worse when starting after has been driven, then shut off for 30 min - an hour.

I saw some old posts that suggested replacing the cold start injector, but the 2006's do not have one. Other posts suggest the coolant temperature sensor. Just wanted to see what worked for others? Thank you.
I've had this issue randomly just as you described/Warm. It would crank it for 5 seconds with no start, then crank again, it fires with just a little stumbling, then its fine.
It hasn't been terrible so I have not done anything yet. But when its warmer out I plan on testing the resistance/Ohms on each fuel injector.
If you have an OBD2 reader that will display live data (they are dirt cheap $25), you can easily see if your Temp sensor is sending correct data to your ECM.
Check it at cold start, and then when you get to work or whatever see if its indicating 180-190deg.
I have the 4.7 in a 2000. This clip is from a 2005-2006 manual.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

· Registered
10 Posts

Super random idea so sorry if it's not helpful but... I would check your vacuum lines. A vacuum leak can cause rough idle and hard starting. In particular, the fuel pressure regulator line (coming off of your airbox and going into the passenger-side valve cover) could be causing too much fuel to be pumped in at startup.

If this is not it I assume you know where to start: plugs, coils, injectors, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts