Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Tundra 4x4 Limited is making a metallic grinding noise. It sounds like it's coming from the trans area, but it's been doing this since I bought it, and the trans has shifted fine for 20k miles, so it's not a problem with that. I bought it a year ago with a salvage title, and so it may or may not have been from that. The frame is definitely straight though, and underneath the truck looks new. It always does it if there are people in the back seat, and it randomly does it otherwise. Some days it drives flawlessly, but once the noise starts, it does it the whole rest of the day. It kind of sounds like a grinding, it's really bad when accelerationg, but when you stop the noise continues as more of a loud vibration. You can also feel it through the gas pedal. I'm running out of things to check. One thing I did notice is that the trans mount/bushing appears to be a bit loose/missing a bushing or something. I couldn't get to it to try tightening it though, and a local indy shop didn't find anything when it went it to have the trans fluid changed. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you have them check the carrier bearing? What about wheel bearings?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have them check the carrier bearing? What about wheel bearings?
I've never heard of a carrier bearing, I'll check it out. I'm almost certain I have a bad wheel bearing as well, but that's not where this noise is coming from. I just told the shop to load it with five people and drive. They couldn't find the noise, so hopefully someone on here can help me out.

·
ASE Autobdy Master Tech
69 Posts
carrier bearing in driveline.likely suspect.look it up on you tube

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I watched a few fids, and I'll go check that out. It seems like more of a grinding than it sounded like in the vids, but it could be a result of that. Anyone else have anything else to check out? I'm really tired of messing with this, it makes every trip with more than two people miserable. If I can't figure out what it is, I may just sell the truck to someone who doesn't mind messing with it till they figure it out. THanks for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys. A littlte update on my Tundra (Goodness, I wish I would have kept my dodge).
We took a trip from Tennessee to florida the other day, and were pretty determined to find the problem before we rode in it for 8 hours each way. We looked under the truck, and with it running put 5 people in it. We noticed the body got a lot closer to the frame in a few places, but didn't seem to quite touch. So we stuck a wooden shim inbetween where it was getting close, just hoping we could figure out if this was the problem. The first 3/4 of the trip to Florida, the truck drove flawlessly. Thinking we had fixed it, we were contemplating putting on a 1" body lift to help separate the close gap. The last little bit of the trip it was doing it a tiny bit, but still not bad. While we were there, we put quite a few miles on it driving back and forth to the beach, and half the time it was making the noise, and half of the time it drove wonderfully. On the trip back, we brought a friend home, so it had 5 people in it. It drove absolutely horribly the entire way, was grinding, rattling, and scraping the whole trip. I hate this truck. We figured it might be from having a fifth person in it, but now it's still doing it most of the time. Could someone post a pic of the trans mount? Mine looks like something's wrong with it, but I don't know how to upload a picture on here.
Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts