Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, first post here! i have a 2006 double cab and just bought the jl audio stealthbox(not in yet) for some good bass . i am going to add an aftermarket head unit also. i know the stock speakers proably won't handle the 50watts per channel, so i was wanting to put in some new door speakers. i have the non-jbl system, anyone know what size door speakers i need for front and back? thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
6.5 in the front and in the rear. I am using Blaupunkt vc650 components. Most component systems will require you to make/purchase a spacer ring for the 6.5 speaker. I used 1.25 thick abs plasticfrom a plastic shop and rotored out my own rings. Try not to use mdf it will break down when water hits it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What about depth? That is the primary issue with the DC's. Obviously the spacer ring is what is needed to account for a deeper aftermarket speaker, but does anyone know the maximum depth we can go on a 6.5" with the right spacer ring in place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi guys, first post here! i have a 2006 double cab and just bought the jl audio stealthbox(not in yet) for some good bass . i am going to add an aftermarket head unit also. i know the stock speakers proably won't handle the 50watts per channel, so i was wanting to put in some new door speakers. i have the non-jbl system, anyone know what size door speakers i need for front and back? thanks for any info.
I have a 2006 DC also. Crutchfied told me there is no aftermarket speakears that will fit in the doors because of dept. They said all you can do is put them in the kick panels uo front. Let me know if you have any luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 2006 DC also. Crutchfield told me there is no aftermarket speaker that will fit in the doors because of depth. athey said you have to install them in the kick panels. Let me know if you have any luck. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
There's aftermarket speakers available, you just have to do some more looking. ;)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
There are no direct fit speakers, but just about any 6.5 inch speakers will fit with adapters or by using the stock speaker housings as adapters....just cut out the speaker guts with a dremel. There are LOTS of threads on this....just use the search function.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
There's lot's of depth, especially if you use the factory housings. I even had some shallow 8's in my back doors for a while....plenty of room!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Using the stock speaker housing will do what? Thanks! In a 2006Tundra double cab, are the speakers 6.5 front and back? You say there is plenty of room foe depth in a 2006?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
give you about 1.75 extra inches of mounting depth as well as adapt the 6.5 inch speakers to the non-standard mouning hole in the door......feel free to use the search function, this is all discussed in detail with pretty pictures in other treads.

·
Registered
124 Posts
its 6 3/4" for front and rear. However, many 6 1/2" speaker sizes will fit. I just installed 4 Alpine sps-600 speakers yesterday and they fit 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 size mounts. And if your looking for a new set of speakers, those Alpine speakers sound real clean and have a tight sound them, a vast improvement over stock.

Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Plasma TV

Crutchfield is very helpful for showing you what speakers will fit your truck, just plug in year, model etc. However, i would try amazon.com to buy the speakers, much cheaper. The Alpine speakers were $100 on crutchfield, but I found them for $60 a pair on amazon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts