Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have a 2006 tundra acess cab and my truck didn't come with the factory fog lights. I have the factory fog lights and have installed them, but instead of using the switch on the steering column(mine doesn't have) I want to run the lights to an alternate switch. I need to know which wire in the steering column feds the fog lights so that if I hook up a 12+ DC power to it, the lights will come on. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.?????????????????????

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Hey check your PM but I'll answer here.

Use the Blue/silver spotted wire listed below to get power to your switch. This is from my post on the fog light mod.

"You need to find a 12V switched source to provide switched power to the Red/yellow wire going into the white plug, which provided power to the fog light switch. Look to the right, there is a black plug going into the windshield wiper control stalk. Unplug the black plug. With a test light, verify that you have power to the Blue/silver spotted wire at the plug when the ignition is in the ON position. Do not be tempted to use the Blue/red stripe wire....this also has power when the ignition is on, but when you hit the windshield washer the power goes off to the fogs, and that is just plain wierd for your fogs to go off when you wash your windshield:D . If this blue/silver spot wire does indeed give power with the ignition in the ON position, strip off some insulation (do not cut the blue/silver wire), and solder on a short jumper wire to it, and run it to the red/yellow wire going into the white plug."

Then you need to get the 12V power coming OUT of your switch to your relay. I do not know if you are using the factory relay in the fuse box or your own, so I can't help you there, not enough info.

good luck
Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I am going into the factory relay but I don't know which wire in the steering column stalk leads to the factory relay. If I find this wire, I will be able to connect power(blue/silver spotted wire) to one side of my aftermarket switch and the wire leading to the relay(THE ONE I DONT KNOW) to the other side which will turn on my fog lights when the switch is turned on.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
here it is for all to see, also in your PM.

The wire that comes OUT of the factory fog light switch and TO the factory relay under the hood, is a Gray/Light blue stripe wire. Find it on the "truck" end of the multiwire connector on the underside of steering column. The other end of that connector goes to the various controls on the headlight stalk.

Your fogs will work whenever the ignition is on.

Joe

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had the same issue as you. No factory fog lights. I bought a set of fog lights and I bought a factory turn signal with the fog light switch. I installed the fog lights, plugged them in and installed the headlight/turn signal and the fog lights worked.

Another member on this site re-wired the fog lights to come on when the ignition is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts