Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Tundra DC 4.7l V8 Darrell Waltrip Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra with a 4.7l V8 with 190k miles and it has a very loud sequel at high (4500+) RPMs only while at 75% throttle and up, in every gear. I think it is heat dependent, but I’m not about to go full throttle without the temp gauge being at least 1/2 way to operating temp. It doesn’t matter if it’s 18 degrees F or 114 degrees F outside.

I’ve been reading countless forum posts and replies suggesting to take off the serpentine belt, make sure intake hose is tight and clamping surfaces are clean, and check all vacuum hoses are connected and aren’t loose or dry rotted. I’ve tried and done all of these things and nothing changed. I even sprayed silicone on the intake tube ends, vacuum hose ends, and on the rubble lip of the intake filter. I’m hearing impaired and can’t hear anything past 7k hz and it is very loud to me even with the windows up. It sounds like a 4.5k hz squeal/whistle.

My dad installed a new timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and thermostat when he first bought the truck, about 20k miles ago. I never drove the truck before all of that was done, so I don’t know if it did it before or not. I know it’s not anything that is spun by the serpentine belt because it took it off and drove it without it, and nothing changed at all. I can’t find my data tool which can show things like map sensor vacuum readings, so I don’t really know if applying more or less throttle at the same rpm increases the vacuum or not.

Here are some videos showing the noise:
(VOLUME WARNING I had to have windows down so the video could pick up the sound, but that also included wind noise🙃)

It only does it at heavy throttle

FYI I don’t go full throttle all the time. I felt terrible doing this for the videos and I waited a few minutes between each video just in case it’s something inside the engine. I do believe being a spirited driver keeps engines running smoother, cleaner and longer.

I’m fairly mechanically inclined with internal combustion engines and I am stumped.

Being a Darrell Waltrip Edition it’s a rare truck (2000 ever made with this trim). I’ve never loved a vehicle more than this truck and besides the noise, it runs perfectly with no rattles or vibrations. Extremely reliable. It’s never had any mechanical issues according to the previous owner, who turned out to be my 5th grade history teacher. All he towed was his bass boat.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also there have never been any metal shavings in the oil, the coolant is clean, and the pitch of the squeal/whistle doesn’t change whether at 4500 RPMs or at redline.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 limited double cab 4.7l
108 Posts
it sounds like a bearing to me or a air leak that only opens up at throttle WOT check anything on the serpentine belts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does it even after taking off the serpentine belt and driving it. I hope it’s just an air leak

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 limited double cab 4.7l
108 Posts
It does it even after taking off the serpentine belt and driving it. I hope it’s just an air leak
could be one of the tensioners on the timing belt or the fan when was it done last at 190k it should be on belt 3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts