Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just subscribed because I need some how-to's; but before I get to those I'll pay back some good advice I got here. I needed to replace my passenger mirror, and got some good ideas about how from this forum as a guest, but nothing specific. I worked through it, and it's pretty easy on the '06. Also, before I get into it, I bought the mirror (pn 6332-5110R) from MonsterAutoParts.com. The vendor was great, the part was not. But now it's spilled milk.

Sorry I don't have pics to add.

I started out believing I'd need to remove the entire door panel - that's not the case, it just needs to be wedged back away from the door a little. The panel appears to be in two parts (though I think they're permanently connected), and the topmost part of the panel is all you need to worry about. It's better if the window is rolled down prior to starting.

The speaker cover comes off fairly easily. If you don't have a speaker on the door just opposite the mirror, there is probably a very similar cover there. Snapping it back on wasn't perfect, even though I didn't stretch or break anything, so be careful. The pin that holds it to the door is closer to the top, so some careful encouragement under the edge of the cover near the top is all it needed to be removed. It's a simple ball and socket pin - no clips or other machines holding it.

There is a screw under a little snap-on cover on the door panel just under where the speaker cover is. The cover is easy to remove with a softer tool or a strong fingernail.

There is a screw under a snap-on cover in the bottom of the pan for the door handle. The screw cover is attached to the pan, so don't try to completely remove it; a tiny screw driver will pry it up and expose the screw. The pan needs some encouragement to come off, but I don't think you even need to take it completely off. I do believe removing the screw is smart, though.

There are two little pins on the very back of the panel (facing the sill, not the interior). I don't know if both need to be removed, but I did remove them both. The center of the pin pushes in just a little, which makes the pin very easy to remove. Play with it a little after you get it out and you'll see how it works, which will helpful to understand when you replace it.

The door panel should now separate from the top of the door. It's hooked to the top of the door frame at the window sill, but not by any mechanism other than an inch or so of folded plastic. Pull it up and out, and it should work fine. A folded shop rag or somesuch will keep the panel wedged back enough to get to the harness connector.

The harness connector for the mirror is visible just under the panel. If you have large hands, it might make the job a little harder, but it'll come loose. If you're scared it'll drop into the door, hook a string or wire wrap on prior to loosening it. Mine stayed put just fine.

The three bolts visible around the speaker are all that holds the mirror on.

From here it should be fairly straightforward. I'd advise cleaning the situation very well with some alcohol or other paint-safe cleaner before putting the new mirror on, to ensure less grit gets under it over the next few years. I'd also advise spending the extra dough and getting an original part from Toyota. The one I got on the cheap is flimsy and rattles a little. Not the end of the world, but less than perfect.

I hope this helps,

Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
THANK you for your time in composing and inserting tips. I'm going to try my L/S door panel today, hoping to remove mirror for insertion of washers under screws. It's loose, vibrating especially at idle (think once moving air pressure holds it sufficiently to subdue), rattling and generally driving me nuts. I also hope to look into the rattling window when part way down, I understand that's a Torx bolt or two hear back edge of door. Wish me luck, every time I've ever tried to remove a door panel in the past it's gone poorly. Your tips should help a lot.

John

·
Registered
739 Posts
stvn thank you for the instructions, i am upgrading to Muth Signal Mirrors wasn't sure of all the locations of the screws :ts:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts