Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a previously owned 2006 Toyota Tundra Regular Cab 4x4 without a tow package. I am attempting to add a tow package so that I can tow my boat. The boat trailer has a standard 7 blade RV connector and has electronic brakes. I have no issue upgrading the alternator. I'm ok adding a supplimental transmission cooler. Someone has already added a class IV hitch reciver. I have already mounted a Hopkins Multi-Tow 7 blade towing connector, model 43385, to the hitch receiver using the 4 wire harness already run to the hitch receiver. My question is: "What do I need to add a brake controller? I'm attempting to use/add the factory wire harness if possible."

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can go with what is called a "Hard Wire" brake controll install. You need some extra 12-16 gauge wire depending on what your truck has, a 30 amp circut breaker, and some butt connectors. Run an extending set of wires from the blue and black wires coming from the hopkins connector to the front of the truck, zip tying them as you make your way to the front of the truck. Attach the circut breaker somewhere under the hood where you can easily get too (preferably on the side where your battery is located). attach the black wire you ran from the hopkins connector to one side of the circut breaker. Use a scotch lock to attach another wire to the same wire you ran from the back but the other end goes directly to your break controller. You then attach another wire to the other end of the circut breaker that will then connect to the positive side of your battery using the appropriate type of connector. The blue wire you ran from the hopkins connector will go directly to your break control. You then have to ground your break controller to the negative side of your battery. The red break light wire from the break control has to be tapped into from under your dash. Just follow the break pedal up and use a light tester to find the wire. I have found it to be either a red or white wire, but not always.

You should be able to use your factory wiring harness which you plug into from under the dash and attach those wires to the break controller. keep in mind, depending on the break control they do not always go color coordinated. Depending on how you installed the hopkins 7-way round to the truck you might or might not have to butt connect the black (power) wire and blue (elec. brake) wire from the hopkins connector to the trucks wiring. This way should work and be much easier and faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts