Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2006 Tundra DC that had previous light front end damage. Yesterday on my way home, it started to shift strangely. It wouldn't shift like normal, much higher rpm's. and no power. I was curious if the tranny fluid was low. Much to my suprise, no tranny dipstick. I searched on here for a solution and it appears that only a dealer can service the tranny. I think I just need to add fluid because I know the tranny cooler was replaced when it was fixed. I think they didn't top off the fluid as they should have causing my strange shifting. ( at least I hope that is the promblem) How do I add tranny fluid to it and what type is supposed to be used? It is of course sunday and the dealer is closed. I have to drive 250 miles home tonight for work tomorrow so I would like to figure this out today. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a pdf on the forum somewhere that show's how, but there are 2 bolts on the bottom of the pan, the "allen" bolt is the overflow port and the 14 mm nut is the drain plug. To refill you take the 22 or 24 (?) mm bolt out on the back of the trans near where the driveshaft goes in, useing a pump fill like a rear end differential. Around 2 1/2 quarts to drain and fill pan, fill pan till fluid comes out of overflow port.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
it can be a PITA to just check if your not familar with how it is done and no i have not checked mine but Toyota ATF "WS" fluid is a synthetic fluid and you would need to use that type of fluid for top-off. here is the PDF good luck and strongly feel low fluid level is not your problem. read PDF carefully because tranny has to be warm when ya check and vehicle running and ya loose yes loose just under 1/2 qt when ya do this check due to design. it is explained pretty in depth just do not try to make it harder by cofusing yourself!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If low fluid is not the problem what else could it be? It was sluggish taking off 4 or 5 times before I parked it. Sometimes it was as if it wasn't responding to acceleration. Then it would not shift gears winding up to 4 or 5k rpms. I could let out of the pedal then apply constant but lighter pressure to the accelerator and it would go better. Any help would be fantastic as I really need to get home today if I can.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
the Aisin Trannys are not like a simple tranny and your guess is as good as mine but ya said if ya took it slow it was ok? I guess the idiot light for the tranny comes on and goes off when ya start the truck? if so it should work if it is low on fluid because it should increase temp and indicate an issue before damadging something. My take on trucks that have been wrecked ya probably could care less about but good luck and be safe. you could be just low on fluid since the tranny cooler had been changed and when ya open to check and it does not belch about 1/2 qt you are probably LOW on fluid because they say all of them do this when ya do this check! not too sure on mixing ATF fluids with different types? Toyota Tundra ATF uses WS fluid and Toyota dealers only place to get it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
your still under warranty I assume? Take it to the dealer, have them check it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same condition you described with may tranny. Same 2006 DC with front collision repair that required the installation of new radiators. Will you please share what was the outcome on your particular case? tks

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,556 Posts
I have the same condition you described with may tranny. Same 2006 DC with front collision repair that required the installation of new radiators. Will you please share what was the outcome on your particular case? tks
The OP hasn't logged on in over 3 years. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2006 DC that had light front end damage before I bought it act simlarly: Won't upshift when accelerating down hill (like an on-ramp from an overpass). Also shifts sorta hard from 1 to 2. Would like to hear more on this topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts