Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2006 tundra, V-8 with 52,000 miles on it. Dealer is recommending the timing belt and water pump be replaced due to age. We don't drive it a lot of miles so I am debating whether this should be done now or wait until the mileage gets closer to the 90k range. Also, I can seem to get a definitive answer as to whether this is an interference engine or not.

Thanks,
C
I have a 2006 tundra, V-8 with 52,000 miles on it. Dealer is recommending the timing belt and water pump be replaced due to age. We don't drive it a lot of miles so I am debating whether this should be done now or wait until the mileage gets closer to the 90k range. Also, I can seem to get a definitive answer as to whether this is an interference engine or not.

Thanks,
C
Have an independent reputable mechanic do an inspection of the timing belt, as it can be done with a partial removal of the cover. You can likely see a video on tubeU to see how it is done. If it has been garaged, you may have a perfectly normal belt. Your call.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks,
C

Thanks,
C
Have an independent reputable mechanic do an inspection of the timing belt, as it can be done with a partial removal of the cover. You can likely see a video on tubeU to see how it is done. If it has been garaged, you may have a perfectly normal belt. Your call.

·
8,499 Posts
1. The Toyota 2UZ-FE (4.7L) V8 engine is an "interference" design.
2. It's not just mileage and age we're talking about here. Arguments are strongly made that it is the starting cranks that most stress the belt and this is usually when they fail. They are rubber-coated with a polycarbonate core, both materials that degrade in heat. How many times do you think you've turned that key and brought the engine to life?

Bottom line: If you want the truck to last you without potentially leaving you stranded at the side of the road looking at a $3K-$4K engine replacement bill, pony up the $800-$1000 and do the timing belt (and water pump, and tensioner, and idler pulley, etc) and buy yourself another 100K miles. You wanna roll the dice, just drive it and cross your fingers.

If it was mine, I'd be shopping for quotes and a mechanic I trusted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will also add that tensioners can fail, weep holes (water pump) leaks can happen that also have the potential to degrade and/or suddenly cause t-belt disaster.

I have seen so many threads on tacoma forums, ih8mud, here and elsewhere that say it is AND is not an interference motor. I've also seen just as many cases where folks have broken belts and gotten away unscathed but ONLY from the pre VVTi motors. I have not yet seen anyone break a t belt on a 05+ motor and post any results from that yet.
That is comforting as my 06DCLtd creeps closer to 100K.
I bet on 125K easy on mine, but hope not to push it that far.
ALWAYS better safe than screwed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have mulled this over and over the last year or so as my '07 has 86,500 miles on her and was/is waiting for the 90k mark to change the belt out. I only recently heard about the 6-8 year limit time and wasn't concerned with years on the belt as much as miles. So I called my dealer that I trust and left a message that I need a estimate on the complete job including water pump, pully's etc.....he called back and said the complete job would be about $15000 (no tax included) but he did say they usually don't do the water pump and pully's unless needed and that would be closer to $1200............so I don't know if my area is so much more to have this job done or are some of the quotes I have read here ($600-$1200) old and out of touch prices.

I'm still leaning to wait until I get 90k on the truck which should be about the end of summer, but who knows.

Billy Bob

·
Premium Member
92 Posts

Thanks,
C
Had this truck since new. Its an '03 with 350k miles on it now and did 2 belts, one water pump. The first belt I did was at 175k miles and it looked in perfect condition. The water pump was very smooth feeling when I turned it over by hand so I left it in. Changed the 2nd timing belt at around 290k miles. Again, the belt looked new and so this time I figured I would replace the water pump this time. I put the water pump on my bench and checked it out thoroughly and to tell you the truth I would have been very confident in it lasting until my third belt change with no problems. It is very well built! One thing I did do was to buy these parts directly from Toyota as you can't beat genuine parts in my opinion. I also did my friend 06 and we just did the belt at 150k miles not the pump. He's over 250k and no issues so we'll do his again at 300K and maybe a water pump also. From what I see I think you are premature on the water pump for sure, and the timing belt?? Again, from what I've seen... No problem in going to 150k at all.

It's roughly a 6 hour job to do the belt on these 4.7 taking your time with it. This has been my experience with the belts and not everyone may agree with me and that's perfectly ok. But I have been there and done that! These dang Yota's are built to last my friend! Hope this helps, take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. The tundra is at the shop now having the water pump, timing belt, etc replaced. We decided we have been lucky to go 14 years even though very low mileage. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a kit off of eBay, that included just about everything you need. Timing chain, serpentine belt, hoses tensioners, water pump gaskets, and more. While they where working on it Toyota OEM pink coolant and a new set of plugs and I did this at 105K. In my book, better safe than sorry or as the old tv commercial said "you can pay me now or you can pay more later"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a kit off of eBay, that included just about everything you need. Timing chain, serpentine belt, hoses tensioners, water pump gaskets, and more. While they where working on it Toyota OEM pink coolant and a new set of plugs and I did this at 105K. In my book, better safe than sorry or as the old tv commercial said "you can pay me now or you can pay more later"

·
Registered
4 Posts
At gates.com you can look up timing belt recommended intervals and if interference for most any vehicle. When I did mine I followed a good tip. I used a strip of scrap roofing rubber (bike tube) around balancer, then hose clamp around that (link a few of needed). Then a bar from the head of clamp to frame. Worked like a charm and cheap.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts

Thanks,
C
i just did mine with 175000. belt look great . the water pump i caught it just in time it was starting to weep. I live in california truck gets used hard!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my 2002 Tundra with 178,000 miles on it. Had lots of maintenance records but none mentioned the timing belt/water pump. I purchased a complete Gates kit from with "unmarked Aisin" water pump from Rock Auto and did the job myself in two days. Fortunately I had the tools and enough mechanical ability to feel comfortable doing the job. 1A Auto has a great three part video on You Tube showing the complete process.
Watch the video and decide how much it is worth to yo to have it done. Here is the link to Part 1 of the video.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts