Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL Calm down. If it blows I will be sure to let you know. I'm planning to sell it soon anyway and the new owner will be made aware of the timing belt situation. Oh yeah, about the oil. I change it once a year if it needs it or not. Same will all my vehicles.
Same here...06 tundra, (bought new) Now at 300,000 miles. Changed plugs at 100,000. Never touched timing belt or water pump. Oil change once a year or so. :) Still runs like new. Turn the key and go. Oh I did put universal joints myself, like for 30 bucks after dealer wanted me to buy the whole drive shaft assembly for $1200.00. I will re-post when the timing belt breaks. Got my "monies" worth. :)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I bet this guy also got his money's worth on his belt, how's he doing now?.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gates timing belt set with the proper unlabeled water pump, new idler pulleys, gaskets and "O" rings is less than $150 from Rock Auto. Someone with moderate mechanical skills can view a complete "how to" set of videos (3) on You Tube and complete the process in a couple of non-stressful days. I went ahead and also invested in a crank pulley removal tool ($60) just cuz!
Or the other option is play the odds and have a valid AAA card handy, spare engine in the garage and a mechanic on retainer for the assured up coming adventure. It's all about choices... Chap

·
Registered
56 Posts
So, 50K huh?
If your serpentine belt is already showing cracks or wear, maybe. If not your timing belt should be fine to 100K at least.
If you have the cash to spare ot never hurts to do early.
Ask for old belt/water pump etc back to get an idea of condition.
But go all the way if you do it as starter is next to impossible afterwards. At worst you have a good used set of spares.
Except belt and cam seals.
Good Luck!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts