Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wonderful dealer and the great people at Toyota told me to go pound sand, this is my problem since my truck has 37k miles on it...just outside of the warranty, and since this is my first Toyota, I do not have enough "Toyota history" for them to justify helping me...might be a good reason for me to not create enough history, but that is besides the point. The dealer graciously offered 15% off...gee thanks.

I need to replace this thing, and fast. The dealer wants $850 for the part :)eek:), and I can find pricing all over the map in the after market (180-600, I cannot even find something for 800+). I would go OEM but it is hard to figure out what OEM really is.

Can someone tell me what I need to put in this thing, I will take mfg and spec advice. If you know a good place to buy I will take that too.

2007, CrewMax, 5.7L SR5, Nav, back up camera, 4 disk in dash, all stock...no after market products

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another PM sent with a web site.

Good luck.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
One post wonder?:rolleyes:?

But, FWIW...Have you thought about a local starter/alternator rebuild shop. Round here, they typically charge about $100 to put in new brushes and turn the armature.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jacketfan are you running an aftermarket stereo system or something? Did the alternator give you any trouble before it went out?

I've never had an alternator fail on any of my toyota's and I've more than 400K miles under various Toyota's. Only engine part I've had go out on me was a starter, and that was a $10 fix. (New starter contact points and the starter is as good as new).

BTW - Alternators are easy to replace (Ford's) and you shouldn't need more than a 14 MM Socket (Guessing), an extension and a good ratchet.

Good luck.

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I'm with you, I have never had an alternator fail on any of my Toyotas in 30 years, A/C compressors either... but anything GM that I have owned both have failed like on a time schedule.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
That early of a failure is usually a defect in the regulator circuit, not your typical wear item like brushes are. Just because Toyota gets 800+ clams for a new alternator doesn't mean you can't rebuild the one you have - alternators are pretty simple devices and with some elctronic knowledge can be diagnosed/repaired fairly easily. There are some alternators that use the ECM to regulate charging (like some hondas) and I'm not sure if the Tundra piece falls into that category. Even so, it still can be diagnosed on a bench with a good multimeter. I'd check with some aftermarket companies (i.e. rockauto) or even your local rebuilder before you put down that kind of chunk of change.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I had an alternator fail on my 1990 V6 Toy P/U at about 200k.
I had quite a draw from accessories and a sound system, so it didn't surprise me.
I soldered in a set of $5.00 brushes, a little scotch brite on the armature, and it was good as new.

I'm surprised the dealer is being so douchey about it. 1K over, I'm 99% my dealer would take care of me.
I've heard of a couple failing on the Gen 2's cause of excess water.
Did it get soaked?

·
2015 Tundra TRD Silver
103 Posts
You can figure on about 4 hours labor to change the alternator. I changed mine just to up my amps. I can give you step by step instructions for 2003 Tundra SR5 4x4. One thing special was an E8 socket 3/8 drive. You have to move your power steering pump to get the old alternator out. Of course, this is for a 4.7L V8. Let me know if you wish my directions. Oh, I went with a rebuilt one NipponDenso 160 amps $135.00 on Ebay

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
Did ya notice that post about loosing the alternator is almost a year old?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
call the 1-800 number,, they will probably help you

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Did ya notice that post about loosing the alternator is almost a year old?
Not only is the thread a year old but that guy is in the wrong forum. But hey that means he used the search funtion to see a thread that old.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I know not many of you have ever seen our alternators being that they're so deep down in our engine bay, so here's a pic of it...

I hope you all can spot the alternator... if not, follow the belts, it's down there.

It is believed that the truck has around 25K miles on it. I didn't feel any honing on the cylinder walls, but I'm no engine expert.

-rockstate

·
Registered
409 Posts
yeah well i have posted several times about my alternator....well its happened again...realized yesterday my battery wasnt charging. Alternator is an aftermarket the dealer put in and they told me it was a new one last year when they put it in 13 months ago....well they said it only has 1 year on parts from anything they do. im so mad about it. they charged me $700+ to do it. ridiculous. i do think im going to replace the alternator myself this time....or maybe just trade the truck for another tundra.

·
Marine Veteran
826 Posts
In the short time I have been a service adviser (1 1/2 years) I have only had one Gen-2 alternator that needed to be replaced and the truck had 50K+ miles on it. However, I advised the customer to call Toyota Corporate on it and he did. Three weeks later he called me to say they reimbursed him for the repairs. They are all a case by case basis obviously but there are options.

Call Toyota Corporate and see if there is anything they can do. There is no way that should have gone out that fast (with the OE or the replacement).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts