Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 2007 Avalon XLS has less than 1000 miles on it. The climate control is set to Auto with temperature set at 70. Every day or two, the climate control disables Auto and the temperature set changes from 70 to MAX. Heat and full fan followers. It is easy enought to undo this but getting to be a nusance. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I understand your pain. When that happens to me I find that I have inadvertantly hit the buttons on the steering wheel, and have either turned off the climate controls or jacked the temp. all the way to max. Perhaps your condition is the same?

All these damned levers and buttons in the way, something is bound to get switched when you don't want it to.....

Hope you find a solution.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thought of hitting the buttons on the steering wheel occurred to me but it's happening too frequently to be that (2 - 3 times per hour).
I took it in to the dealer and asked them to fix it. Their response after being unable to duplicate the behavior is to live with it until it's a solid failure.
Observation: This is a mechanic talking, not a computer person. When climate control is turned over to a computer, I would expect the computer to log every event and action taken as well as the source or originator of the event. Without that, how can they possibly diagnose anything unless there's a cause-effect relationship on what is happening? I'm a bit put off by the dealership's response and wonder if they are prepared for their automobiles to enter the computer control age.

Your thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd suspect the wheel buttons, too. On a panic stop, it took me a minute or two after to notice the system was OFF, and why, recently. Panic grip! Maybe yours are too sensitive? Try activating them repeatedly and see if you observe a problem with them reacting too rapidly, maybe that will be a clue for the dealer. Dealership mechanics have been training on computer controls for some time now, but sometimes you can help by pointing to a specific.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts