Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We just picked up our brand new 2007 Sequoia last week and we're having a couple of weird issues:

The idle seems to be pretty high. At stoplights, I'll be sitting there with my foot on the brake and the Sequoia will suddenly lunge forward a bit. I have to really push down the brakes to stop. This is freaking me out.

Also, the starter seems to need to take a couple of turns before the engine will start. - "Rrrr Rrrr Rrrrr Rrrr Vroooom!"

Is this normal? What could be causing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi,

We just picked up our brand new 2007 Sequoia last week and we're having a couple of weird issues:

The idle seems to be pretty high. At stoplights, I'll be sitting there with my foot on the brake and the Sequoia will suddenly lunge forward a bit. I have to really push down the brakes to stop. This is freaking me out.

Also, the starter seems to need to take a couple of turns before the engine will start. - "Rrrr Rrrr Rrrrr Rrrr Vroooom!"

Thanks!
I have the lunging happen sometimes, but only in very hot weather with the A/C on. Dunno bout the brakes - have you driven a full size suv before?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Four cranks sounds about normal for all of the Sequoia's I'm around (02, 03, 04, 06). I doubt they've changed the starter much over time.

You have to remember the starter is building up engine speed as it cranks. If it bugs you, take it to your local dealer since it's still under warranty. If they're decent, they'll take a look NQA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From what I've read the lunge is common. The first few times my 06 did it I looked in the rear view mirror because I was sure I'd just been rear ended. I have almost 5000 miles now and it's rare if it happens any more.

My truck sometimes makes a noise at startup, like a clunking, just for a moment. I took it to the dealer and was able to duplicate it. The service mgr said it was a belt tensioner and normal.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
The lunge is something that has almost gone away. I am used to it now but at first I also was sure someone bumped me...LOL..... I did notice that it happened alot more during the first 5000 miles. Now if it happens one time a month it's alot. It does not bother me, and I don't feel as if it is a saftey issue at all because it's so slight.

Starter noise? Or starter makeing the sound that a starter makes?? You do know that you DO NOT need to hold the key turned until the truck starts rite? All you need to do is give the key a quick tap and let go, the starter will stop starting when the engine starts. Alot of people with Sequoia's think they have to hold the key turned until the truck starts, they don't know it's pretty much auto start with a quick flick of the key.

Give it a month or two and you will get used to all the new sounds and feelings and you will be fine with it. That's my opinion, Johnnnny:D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
The lunging this is normal. It is worse when the engine is cold and on choke.
Make sure you grease th propeller shaft at lease every 5000 miles. This will help reduce that "clunk" you get somtimes when stopped at a light and the transition between gears will be smoother as well.

The starter thing is normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lunging is normal? This isn't just a surge forward, where the car doesn't really move - this is where we'll be sitting at a light and all of a sudden we're in motion and about to hit the car in front of us. My wife scared the pants off of a pedestrian the other day.

It also doesn't seem to happen when the engine is cold - it's usually where we've been idling at a stop in traffic for at least a minute or more.

I can't believe that's normal. What if we hit someone - do we just say "sorry, but Toyota Sequoia's just do that sometimes"

This is a serious safety issue.

Although this is my first big SUV, my wife used to drive a Suburban . . so she's used to big vehicles with big V8's.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The lunging is normal? This isn't just a surge forward, where the car doesn't really move - this is where we'll be sitting at a light and all of a sudden we're in motion and about to hit the car in front of us. My wife scared the pants off of a pedestrian the other day.

It also doesn't seem to happen when the engine is cold - it's usually where we've been idling at a stop in traffic for at least a minute or more.

I can't believe that's normal. What if we hit someone - do we just say "sorry, but Toyota Sequoia's just do that sometimes"

This is a serious safety issue.

Although this is my first big SUV, my wife used to drive a Suburban . . so she's used to big vehicles with big V8's.
Well, obviously if its doing that, its not normal. What I describe as normal is two situations. 1) when the engine is on choke at high idle, it takes more brake pressure to keep it stopped. 2) when the AC compressor kicks in while stoped at idle, the engine revs will jump up and if you don't have enough pressure on the brake pedal, the vehicle will creep.
I have not experienced any uncontrollable situations such that you just described.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we dropped it off at the dealer last Friday and the service guys "could not replicate" the lunging problem . . so I don't think they looked at the brakes or anything else that could be causing it. I showed them the NHTSA complaints for the Sequoia and Tundra which talk about this problem, but they just shrugged. The disconcerting part is that they basically said "yeah, this is a major safety problem, but unless we can replicate it here there's nothing we can do - here are your keys and have a nice day".

It happened again yesterday . . with no fan or AC on. My wife said the brake pedal dropped an inch or so just as the car began moving.

This is really bugging me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have to escalate this with the dealer. For it to generate enough power to surge forward sounds like a throttle control problem. Could even be a bad throttle pedal module. Time for them to start digging deeper.

Z

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well we dropped it off at the dealer last Friday and the service guys "could not replicate" the lunging problem . . so I don't think they looked at the brakes or anything else that could be causing it. I showed them the NHTSA complaints for the Sequoia and Tundra which talk about this problem, but they just shrugged. The disconcerting part is that they basically said "yeah, this is a major safety problem, but unless we can replicate it here there's nothing we can do - here are your keys and have a nice day".

It happened again yesterday . . with no fan or AC on. My wife said the brake pedal dropped an inch or so just as the car began moving.

This is really bugging me.

Call toyota ASAP... drop your car off at the dealer and tell them ou will not drive it till it is fixed...

if they wont fix it leave it there...

they will understand your serious then...

but like I said ...call toyota...ask to speak with a regional manager...not some phone jockey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cliffs Notes:

Toyota acknowledges lunging problem - tells us we are SOL.

We have a nightmare experience trying to get a leaking main seal replaced under warranty.

The frame of our 5 month old car is rusting and we are told it's normal and we are SOL.

Full post:

Update: We're just about fed up with our Sequoia. The car still lunges forward on occasion, but I guess we're getting better at reacting to it. Still unacceptable, but we're kind of stuck with it.

We had to take our car in to a different dealership to deal with a leaking rear main seal. We mentioned the lunging to this dealership - they say "oh yeah, that's normal - nothing you can do about it". Funny that they had heard about it when the first place played dumb. We also talked to Toyota Customer Service (who managed to get dealership # 2 to look at the leaking main seal issue), and they said "Yes, we are aware of the lunging issue. It's something we are trying to fix for the 2008 model, but we do not have a fix for your vehicle." <== that's the official word from Toyota folks. Unbelievable.

A few new issues:

Leaking rear main seal:

My wife brought it to our mechanic to get the oil changed. The mechanic is a family friend and does good work. They got it up on the lift and instantly spotted that there was a huge oil leak around the rear main seal. Told us to bring it to a Toyota dealership for warranty work and that it was impossible to verify that it was indeed the main seal until the transmission was removed.

We brought it to the dealership where we bought it - the same one that said they couldn't help on the lunging situation. They looked at it and said that there was no oil leak. They said there was "residue", but it was probably cosmoline and that we wouldn't know what that is. They said they removed the inspection panel to the main seal and that it was fine. Then they said they cleaned off the residue, drove the car for 20 minutes and that there was no leak. The funny part is that there is no inspection panel for the main seal and they managed to do 20 minutes of driving in only 10 minutes. We tell them that we're leaving for a week long camping trip the next day and want to know if the car is safe - they say the car is fine.

The next morning, we're feeling a bit weird about what the dealership told us, so we brought it back to our mechanic. Up on the lift, you could see lots of nice clean, fresh oil dripping down along the main seal again. Since the first dealership cleaned the area really good, it was obvious. We took pictures and called the dealership. They told us that there was no leak and that it sounded like we wanted something to be wrong with the car. Then they told us that they didn't want to work on the car any more!

So we go to another Toyota dealership. They get it up on the lift and say "wow - oil leak". They then tell us that it's probably from getting our oil changed by someone other than a Toyota dealership! WTF? After a lot of bitching on our part, they agree to do a die-test. They add the die and tell us that we can go on our trip. We ask them if they can guarantee that the car is safe . . because losing oil when your camping in the middle of nowhere would not be fun. They tell us to leave the car and give us a rental.

Four days later they call us to tell us that there's no leak. We ask them if they checked the die - but they said they didn't have to. We ask if they DROVE it at all after the die was added. They said no. We tell them that we're not going to pick it up unless they drive it and check for die. They agree.

We stop by the dealer the next day to pick up the car, since they say that even if it is the rear main seal, we can't get it fixed for at least a week. The car isn't there when we're supposed to pick it up. The service manager says that the guy driving it should be back any moment so they can do the test. After 30 minutes of waiting, my wife has to run to the store to buy a bottle for our baby . . and she sees our car parked on the street. I then see our car par pull up to the dealership and a service guy get out with bags of chinese food!

So they do the die test and surprise, surprise, the rear main seal is leaking. They replace it a week later - they have to pull the transmission out to do it. They promised to give us a "free detail" because of the chinese food thing, because the car reeks of fried eggrolls. Of course, when I go to pick it up they've forgotten to detail it. They say they will detail it and bring it to my office. When it shows up, it looks like they just hosed it down - there are still bugs stuck all over the hood. Ugh, it's just frustrating.

Rust on frame:

When it was up on the lift, we noticed a number of rust spots. We bought this in March, 2007. They said that was normal and nothing we can do about it.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Cliffs Notes:

Toyota acknowledges lunging problem - tells us we are SOL.

We have a nightmare experience trying to get a leaking main seal replaced under warranty.

The frame of our 5 month old car is rusting and we are told it's normal and we are SOL.

Full post:

Update: We're just about fed up with our Sequoia. The car still lunges forward on occasion, but I guess we're getting better at reacting to it. Still unacceptable, but we're kind of stuck with it.

We had to take our car in to a different dealership to deal with a leaking rear main seal. We mentioned the lunging to this dealership - they say "oh yeah, that's normal - nothing you can do about it". Funny that they had heard about it when the first place played dumb. We also talked to Toyota Customer Service (who managed to get dealership # 2 to look at the leaking main seal issue), and they said "Yes, we are aware of the lunging issue. It's something we are trying to fix for the 2008 model, but we do not have a fix for your vehicle." <== that's the official word from Toyota folks. Unbelievable.

A few new issues:

Leaking rear main seal:

My wife brought it to our mechanic to get the oil changed. The mechanic is a family friend and does good work. They got it up on the lift and instantly spotted that there was a huge oil leak around the rear main seal. Told us to bring it to a Toyota dealership for warranty work and that it was impossible to verify that it was indeed the main seal until the transmission was removed.

We brought it to the dealership where we bought it - the same one that said they couldn't help on the lunging situation. They looked at it and said that there was no oil leak. They said there was "residue", but it was probably cosmoline and that we wouldn't know what that is. They said they removed the inspection panel to the main seal and that it was fine. Then they said they cleaned off the residue, drove the car for 20 minutes and that there was no leak. The funny part is that there is no inspection panel for the main seal and they managed to do 20 minutes of driving in only 10 minutes. We tell them that we're leaving for a week long camping trip the next day and want to know if the car is safe - they say the car is fine.

The next morning, we're feeling a bit weird about what the dealership told us, so we brought it back to our mechanic. Up on the lift, you could see lots of nice clean, fresh oil dripping down along the main seal again. Since the first dealership cleaned the area really good, it was obvious. We took pictures and called the dealership. They told us that there was no leak and that it sounded like we wanted something to be wrong with the car. Then they told us that they didn't want to work on the car any more!

So we go to another Toyota dealership. They get it up on the lift and say "wow - oil leak". They then tell us that it's probably from getting our oil changed by someone other than a Toyota dealership! WTF? After a lot of bitching on our part, they agree to do a die-test. They add the die and tell us that we can go on our trip. We ask them if they can guarantee that the car is safe . . because losing oil when your camping in the middle of nowhere would not be fun. They tell us to leave the car and give us a rental.

Four days later they call us to tell us that there's no leak. We ask them if they checked the die - but they said they didn't have to. We ask if they DROVE it at all after the die was added. They said no. We tell them that we're not going to pick it up unless they drive it and check for die. They agree.

We stop by the dealer the next day to pick up the car, since they say that even if it is the rear main seal, we can't get it fixed for at least a week. The car isn't there when we're supposed to pick it up. The service manager says that the guy driving it should be back any moment so they can do the test. After 30 minutes of waiting, my wife has to run to the store to buy a bottle for our baby . . and she sees our car parked on the street. I then see our car par pull up to the dealership and a service guy get out with bags of chinese food!

So they do the die test and surprise, surprise, the rear main seal is leaking. They replace it a week later - they have to pull the transmission out to do it. They promised to give us a "free detail" because of the chinese food thing, because the car reeks of fried eggrolls. Of course, when I go to pick it up they've forgotten to detail it. They say they will detail it and bring it to my office. When it shows up, it looks like they just hosed it down - there are still bugs stuck all over the hood. Ugh, it's just frustrating.

Rust on frame:

When it was up on the lift, we noticed a number of rust spots. We bought this in March, 2007. They said that was normal and nothing we can do about it.

let's see 7 year's out and they can't get it right Jeez I think I might trading on something else if i were you. We all know 08 Seq is brand New ground up redesigned based off the 07 Tundra even still I wouldn't buy the first year's because your stuck with the problems again.. Good luck try something else.

Erik

·
Registered
20 Posts
Toyota's biggest downfall is the dealer. I work for GM and hate our product line. We have 3 toyotas and love them. I had to take in the Sequoia for a stabalizer link (warranty) it took an hour and I had to reinstall the part when I got home(was LOOSE!!!) Lets face it the best car in the world sucks if the dealer is bad. Next warranty issue I have I will be going to another dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts