Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference in these two cars? My wife wants one. We find a lot more Vibe's than we do Matrix. The only thing I see different is the front end. She has found one a Vibe that is less expensive and has a ton of options including on star and xm radio. I had a toyota dealer tell me not to buy a Vibe because they do not put the same wire harness and air bags in the Vibe. I smell Bull Hockey.Thanks for any info. I have bought Toyota for over twentyfive years and know I will get grief from my friends if I dive up with a car that has a Pontiac badge on it. But hey if I can get a Vibe that is a Matrix for 1500.00 to 2k less cause it has a Pontiac badge I anit that proud:)

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Just saw your post. I don't know about the wiring harness and airbags but IMO the interiors look pretty much identical. I (we) have an '04 XR and it has a GM Delco stereo in it (I like it). Don't know why they would've stopped there...maybe different steering wheel/airbag?? Even if it was different, for that much $$ I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker. That said, I did choose this Matrix used over a used '05 Vibe. Price was pretty close despite the age difference. Just didn't like the looks with the body cladding and roof rack. In hindsight, would've been nice to have some protection on the doors but oh well...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The Vibe is for my wife. She liked the cladding and the roof rack. She also likes the frontend better. So I got her a 07 wave blue with monsoon sound system and moon roof. It only had 40k on it and I bought it for $10,000.00. Whats kinda strange is the Vibe looks bigger, I know it is not. But I think the roof rack and body cladding just makes it look bigger. Anyway she loves it.Oh and it has 100,000 mile warranty or 5 years on the motor and tranny.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Congrats on the Vibe. That's a great price. Nice looking cars. Gotta agree with your wife on the front end looks. I just installed a Parrot CK3100 bluetooth device in the Matrix. Works well with the factory stereo. My wife likes it a lot (her daily driver).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! You will be happy. Vibe owners tend to Love their cars.

The main difference is with sheet metal. It is more than the front end, the windows and lift gate are different as well.
Mechanically they are Toyota Corolla. The interiors are basically the same with the notable exception of the cabin air filter being a slightly different size!
Look at any part on the car, the computers under the seats, the engine electronics, everything mechanical says TOYOTA.
When I got the car new in 08, my son in law had an 07 Corolla, we parked them side by side and popped the hoods, there was ZERO difference. Part for part, identical cars.
The Vibe is (was) made in California at the NUMMI plant along with Corolla, the Matrix is made in Canada.

I have an 08 VIBE and have nothing but praise. Get your parts from Toyota, they cost less for GM buys them from Toyota to resell as a GM part.
IF you have an automatic, check the oil and change it about 60,000 miles. It tends to get dirty quickly despite Toyota's claim of 100,000 miles. It will get very dark red and smell. The filter can be cleaned, it's just a metal screen but check the pan for debris and clean things up in there.
Don't do a trans flush with "cleaners", not a good idea on any car.

Best of Luck, Enjoy!

Check out
Generation Vibe Discussion Forums: Main
register, it is a very active Vibe web site. There are a lot of good people on there that can help you with many questions. It is a good companion to this and other Toyota based sites, I look forward to seeing you there.

Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
I see you bought the Vibe. I just wanted to say...
I have worked at a Toyota dealership for years.

About Two years ago we had a Matrix unloaded off the truck with a Pontiac steering wheel. They are made in the same plant.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just an FYI, DJ is right. Vibe= NUMMI, Matrix= Canada. I wonder if the steering wheel mix up was at one of the ports. Maybe there is a Vibe out there with a Matrix steering wheel on it as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last GM car I had was a 1981 Buick Regal. After several leaks bad springs and other Problems I bought a 1983 Toyota Celica. Never looked back. Since then have always owned Toyota or Honda products. When my friends see me in the Vibe they do a double take and I have to explain why I bought it.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts