Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been looking for a 5.7L RCSB locally since the first of the year (2017), and all of the ones I found were asking over $12K. Well, I didn't want to spend that much before making the desired changes. Anyway, I had basically given up when this one popped-up on Craigslist in a town about 75 miles north of me. I was the first in line to see it... I negotiated the best deal that I could and wrote the nice lady selling it a check...it had about 270,000 on it when I drove it home and I am the 4th owner of this Georgia farm / work truck.

My goal is to make it as pavement friendly as possible, so I am lowering the rear to match the stock height of the front. New OEM coil springs, New Alcan leaf springs, new Bilstein shocks, new OEM alloys, new Michelins, and a TRD sway bar will make the truck handle & ride the way I want it to.

All of the required maintenance & service has been brought up to date, so I am now focused on cleaning up the interior & exterior. I have removed the badges, PDR is scheduled for next week, I will be replacing headlight housings with new OEM housings, then the interior & exterior will be detailed. After that, I'll be adding Wet Okole seat covers... I installed new FOCAL 6x9 co-ax door speakers last week, the original head unit is working fine for now.

Body armor:
I purchased a Ranch Hand brush bar, it will be sprayed with Line-X before installation... I'll eventually get Line-X for the bed. The original chrome bumpers are in decent shape, I'll leave them as-is for now... This build is not intended to be a show truck, it's meant to be a fun, reliable daily driver / road trip kind of truck. An unassuming sleeper if you will...

These are the 'before' pictures, the last one includes my '02 RCLB.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Impressive plans! I just bought my 3rd Tundra about 2 months ago, an '04 DC with 200k on the odo. She had immaculate records, and is slowly getting restored in a similar fashion, can't seem to get past 1gen though...:)

Reactions: H2O_MAN and Jonesy

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One thing I've learned: Bilstein 5100 series FRONT shocks are NOT what you want for this set-up, they are 0.875" LONGER than the standard length 4600 series shocks. Use the 4600 series Bilstein shocks, and the front will match the lowered rear.

The description reads like this:
"Multiple snap-ring grooves in the shock body allow for different spring seat positions, providing 0" to 2.5" of front end lift, depending on application." when in fact it is 0.875" to 2.5" of front end lift.

I was able to return the 5100s for a full refund.

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This American Muscle Truck made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs the other day, but everything came to a halt when we connected with Atlanta...

BTW, the 1964 Pontiac GTO is the original American muscle car, it had a 389 cubic inch V8 with a 10.75:1 compression ratio that produced 325/348 bhp with a single 4 barrel, or three 2 barrel carburetors. The '64 GTO 389 produced 428 lb-ft of torque. The 5.7L RCSB is very similar to the original GTO. 347.835 cubic inches with direct fuel injection and a 10.2-to-1 compression ratio. 381 bhp at 5,600 rpm and 401 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm.

Attachments

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Benefits that I've seen since lowering the rear and adding a rear sway bar:

. The occasional bed bounce & vibration are gone.

. The seating position is more comfortable, I no longer feel like I am being pushed toward the windshield.

. I have a better view from the rear view mirror, I can see more of what is behind me.

. Lane changes & cornering are much more precise, even at higher speeds.

. I didn't give up any ground clearance.

. Launch & acceleration is more efficient than before.

-- It's also much easier for my 80 year old mom to enter & exit the truck.

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the second time that I have used Alcan for replacement Toyota truck leaf springs, several years ago they built a custom set with a little lift for my '96 4WD T100. Alcan makes some great leaf springs.

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to install the upper braces on the Ranch Hand Bambi / Protestor Bar yesterday, now it's rock solid. The braces had not yet been installed when this picture was taken.

Attachments

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The installation instructions mention the possibility that the new suspension will interfere with your exhaust system, they aren't kidding. My low cost solution involved cutting the tail pipe off at an angle were it curved up to go over the axle, we then rotated it 180 degrees and welded it in place as a resonated turn down. There was a leak at the original connection that had eroded the flange, so we had to weld it up ugly. The end result is totally functional, and it's almost as quiet as with a full length tail pipe.

Attachments

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I put 1200+ miles on the RCSB for Thanksgiving... not a single hick-up, and I averaged 16 to 19 MPG depending on speed. 19 MPG under 75MPH, 16 MPG above 75 MPH (sustained average highway speeds). Press your right foot to the floor while cruising @ 70 mph and the truck comes alive. Right now, the harmonic sweet-spot for this truck the way I have it set up is a little above 80 MPH. Lane changes are exact, but the ride is still a little stiff for huge potholes, ugly expansion joints, and abrupt changes in the surface. It's not harsh, and easily controllable... the nannies did there job at least one time that I know of when I touched on the marbles on the outside edge of a downhill sweep to the left. I think the ride will soften a little bit once the new suspension is broken in.

All-in-all, I am satisfied with this old RCSB.

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Moving forward in the RCSB.

The Cruise Control doesn't work, I have a new switch and I may need to replace the coil / clock spring. < not a priority though.
The interior cleaned up very well and I want to keep it clean, so I installed a set of Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners < these are awesome!

Attachments

·
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just yesterday my friend (father of the bride) and I took the path less traveled on the way home from his daughters wedding in Asheville, NC - US 178 from Rosman, NC south to I-85 in SC. He rides, and he was driving the AWD Subaru like he would ride his motor bike (yanking & banking).

This RCSB handles the hilly-twisty-curvy two lane blacktop at speed with ease, the only problem I experienced was temporarily losing sight of his Subaru Outback directly in front of me as we negotiated the sharp left-hand curves... the huge A pillar in the Tundra is what blocked my view.

Toggling the sequential 6 speed kept me off the brakes, and allowed me to whip through the turns - it was a great roller coaster ride in the rain & fog. We encountered one slower driver, and they pulled over to let us pass - we appreciated their courtesy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts