Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2002 SR5 looked a whole lot different(leaf springs) than your stocks, I'll post a pic when I find it. I replaced the entire rear end with a newER one with 107000 miles vs my 245000 miles one when the gears ate themselves :D 274469 a few days ago, BTW RCLB-lb/long bed? rc=what?

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
With the exception of a Hellwig rear sway bar, the rear suspension on my 2002 regular cab long box (RCLB) is bone stock.

The rear suspension on my 2007 regular cab short box (RCSB) is the one that's been reworked & modified.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I removed the Ranch Hand bush bar last week to see if I liked the truck better without it... I will not be re-installing the bar because both the ride & handling are better without the bar.

I sold the bush bar.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I replaced the factory tow mirrors with a used set of standard mirrors yesterday... the tow mirrors are a bit too much for a daily driver that does not tow anything.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Installation of the Air-Lift kit from SOS Performance was completed this morning. Initial results are excellent, but I need to put more miles on it and play with the air pressure until I find the perfect psi for daily driving. The ride with 22 psi is firm & forgiving.

I was forced to add this kit because once lowered the rear would squat during a hard launch... it squatted so much that the drive shaft and a cross-member on the bottom of the bed were making contact. It would also bottom out coming off speed bumps & heaves in the pavement at higher speeds. All of that ended today.

Attachments

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Athens to Buckhead and back shakedown run Saturday... how sweet it is.

The Air-lift kit SOS has available for their rear lowering kit is money well spent, it really makes the rest of the kit work better. Avoid additional labor, and install the bags at the same time you are installing the lowering kit.

Actual mods so far: the complete rear only lowering kit, Line-X for the bed, N-FAB rear bumper, Kenwood head unit with Focal door speakers, and Wet Okole seat covers. Everything else falls under repair & maintenance.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I put it off for over a year... the drive shaft and transmission seal were replaced today.

With major service & mechanical repairs out of the way, I can focus on MILD performance mods like a quiet performance single exhaust, an Auburn LSD, and maybe a DAP tune. I will also look at cleaning up it's appearance, but it's not going to be a show truck.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
15 months have passed since I drove this one home for the first time...

Attachments

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I replaced the Bilsteins in the rear with Bilsteins that are 3" shorter than stock, and I relocated the spare up into the bed right behind the cab. These two changes make the ride so much better... I also added a set of Iron Cross running boards because I know some short women.

Attachments

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I have been researching headers and exhaust systems for street use, and the Direct Connect system ARH offers looks really good.

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here is a better look at all that was done to lower the rear end, and tie it together.

Attachments

·
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I installed this custom 3-muffler BAM Muffler cat-back a couple weeks ago ... 3 different muffler lengths... front to back: 16", 10" and 8.5" after the Y-pipe. The goal was to keep the truck as quiet as possible, without sacrificing any potential power gains. A single factory tail pipe that I shortened just a bit to clear the leaf pack on the passenger side was used.

I will be evaluating this Dirty Deeds cat-back and how the DAP tune responds over time, but I can already report that the sound is intoxicating... it produces a deep rumble at start up, and it is almost undetectable at idle.

As mentioned earlier, I had to remove 24" of tailpipe and it appears this reduction in tailpipe length makes the resonator pictured below incompatible - it has been removed.

After driving a couple hundred miles I am happy to report that this exhaust system combined with the DAP tune makes my truck feel 1000 lbs lighter, it's much more responsive than it was with the stock exhaust.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts