Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only smell it when ya walk to front exterior part of car and it's a faint coolant smell but could be electrical but i am leaning to coolant! As mentioned it's only noticed on outside of car between the front wheels only after shutting down engine and NO i had not been dogging it! Normal in town driving, anyone with any thoughts, i have wasted numerous batteries looking already with no indication of leakage?:unsure: Guess this weekend i will put it on a lift prior to taking to Dealer!

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
We have had a few people with the same condition and have found NO leaks. The only thing I can attribute this to is the OVERFLOW tank, which is open to the atmosphere and your just smelling the hot coolant in it.
Nope I can explain it, but my Tundra does the same thing when I get home from work and walk across the front of the truck, I smell coolant. No leak and believe me, I have been all over this truck.
Let us know if you find something.... I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Vic, Happy Holidays! This is a weird thing cause i see no overflow for coolant reservoir? Coolant level never moves hardly just a tad when it gets warm then cools of? just normal movement but this smell is kinda strong just for a while when ya walk in front of the thing? My 10K service is coming up soon and i will put it on rack at Auto Hobby shop here on the AFB and see if i can isolate anything? 20 years of looking for leaks on a C-130's taught me a little. If i can't find anythinig i will get the dealership to pressure test the cap? Could be cap but no evidence of coolant anywhere? My dealership probably does not even have a cap tester but if not i will just replace the cap myself to see if smell goes away?Later TB:wave:

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
Happy Holidays my friend. If you find something let us know. I haven't found anything substantial for this either:noidea:. We have a cap tester, so should they.......:D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a puzzling case to me and coolant just does not smell unless it's leaking from somewhere? will keep ya up to date cause this concerns me with less than 10K on the clock!:tu: I have a 2 Million candle power light i will use when i put it on the lift!:crazy:
hey when is the 09 Tundra hitting the lots? i heard May?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found my leak but have no clue where it's coming from since it's coming from a tight area under and behind Alternator/AC Compressor next to a bolt? Their is a wire bundle just above this leak that comes or goes up to the alternator?
It is leaking just enough to smell when ya walk in front of the car but not enough to drip on garage floor! I susppect water pump but not sure since i have no pdf of the motor HELP :p:nod:

Attachments

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
Yes, that looks like the water pump leaking. It is warranty 5/60. It crusts up because Toyota coolant has a chemical in it to specifically do that.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Vic, i was almost posotive that was what was going on but thanks for the Pics and you diagnosis. I will wait till New Year to get it done since i am in no hurry and getting things done at Dealership during holidays will be hard i know! I bought it from (The Mail Man) here in ABQ and they are good people so i will give them a visit around first of the year! Really not happy a new car has a leaky water pump, is this normal or unusual? Only 9300 miles and this started around 6500 miles, just a faint coolant smell when ya walked in front of car after running it normally! Later TB

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
Nope not unusual. Many Toyotas do it (leaky w/p). Can't tell you why, but lately parts have not been up to par of what I am used to for Toyota. "HECHO EN MEXICO" really scares me.
Ever since the MORE AMERICAN involvement in Toyota, quality has suffered IMO.(ALLOT)!
Still a great product, but has lost something over the years.
Later

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In shop at 13:00 out at 16:30 new h20 pump and hopefully the smell is gone, only time will tell that. This engine was made Japan and i would think it would have lasted for ever like they always used to? BTW thanks for calling that one :D you were spot on!! I took it over to The YES MAN at American where my normal Master Techs that have taken great care of me and once again they did today! Watch it have a puddle in the AM:fear:

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
Unfortunatly thats now starting to become KEY WORDS...
Japan engine, but the waterpump is made in JAPAN and assembled in Mexico. They do all sorts of weird stuff. OH, we have 7 of those IN STOCK, does that tell you anything, LOL
Glad they fixed it, it's nice to hear of other GREAT PLACES that repair vehicle properly and that your happy, congrats..

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am happy as long as their is no puddle under car on rt front!:tu: Just hope the coolant smell goes away since it has a faint electrical smell if you have a good sniffer. I quit smoking back in 92 and i can smell things like i never smelled before! I can also find a leak pretty quick once i decided it was time to fix it! I guess looking for fluid leaks for 20 years as a C130 Crew Chief made it easy to find:D So how are the FJ's doing as far as maintenance and dependability? i think she wants to trade the TC for an FJ?

·
Retired Contributor
5,940 Posts
Personally , I HATE THE FJ, thankfully they dont make it anymore. They are very hard to drive and have a tremendous blind spot (drivers shoulders rearward). Sorry, there are allot of people who love them, your going to have to drive one and see for yourself.
FJ's are noisy, rattle, sqeak....etc... I call them (F'n-Junk. They use the same 4.0 as the Tacoma and it is a really good engine, only problems have been people not changing oil and either slugding them or stretching the timing chains, otherwise pretty buillit proof. The 6 speed manual is also the same as the Tacoma and it sucks, the same as aTacoma does. The Clutch Release bearing rides on a collar that is made into the bellhousing and is aluminum. That collar used to be steel and (see picture for what is happening). Thses pics are of a FJ throwout bearing and bellhousing and they are not the only ones.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did drive an 07 FJ before we got the tC and my other half has not stopped crying since about not getting her FJ :der: i said to self, SELF why do i need 3 4x4's 2 full of expensive computers and one with 240K miles on it. i got the tc for gas mielage, it's great mielage! 30 MPG doing 80+ in Colorado in places! Man that looks nothing like what i want a part of i just did clutch job on my 93 and she runs really nice now! Later TB:ts:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts