Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 SE V6 - windshield washer fluid smell in cabin

Hi all, First post here, just joined. I have a 2007 Camry SE V6 built in KY and I took delivery mid-April of 2006. I just rolled over 20k miles and have had it serviced at 5k intervals at the local Toyota dealer. Over the past 5k miles (3-4 months) when I use the windshield washer fluid to clean the windshield I get a VERY strong washer fluid smell in the cabin...and it seems to linger for several minutes after the windshield washer cycle stops! In fact, it is so strong that at times it seems like the washer fluid vapors are stinging my eyes and nose. I do not remember noticing this until the past few months. I should not be able to smell the washer fluid inside the cabin. Has anyone else experienced this overwhelming washer fluid smell in their cabin? Thanks, Patrick

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi all, First post here, just joined. I have a 2007 Camry SE V6 built in KY and I took delivery mid-April of 2006. I just rolled over 20k miles and have had it serviced at 5k intervals at the local Toyota dealer. Over the past 5k miles (3-4 months) when I use the windshield washer fluid to clean the windshield I get a VERY strong washer fluid smell in the cabin...and it seems to linger for several minutes after the windshield washer cycle stops! In fact, it is so strong that at times it seems like the washer fluid vapors are stinging my eyes and nose. I do not remember noticing this until the past few months. I should not be able to smell the washer fluid inside the cabin. Has anyone else experienced this overwhelming washer fluid smell in their cabin? Thanks, Patrick
Good god!!!

The air into the car comes from just in front of the bottom of the windshield where all the fluid drains to.

If you don't want to smell it turn your air intake off!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Njerald,

Thanks for your response, although it provided very little - if any - value to the thread. A simple, 'I have not heard of any issues with washer fluid smells in the cabin.', would have sufficed.

So, every time I want to use washer fluid to clean the front windshield I am supposed to turn off the A/C|air intake, or set it to re-circulate? I doubt Toyota's engineers would tell me that is necessary. I would bet money that they design the windshield and fluid run-off/drainage system on the front to prevent fluids and other external fumes from being drawn into the cars interior ventilation system. Since I didn't smell this when I originally bought the car last year, it would lead a normal person to assume that something has changed...a cracked washer fluid line or leak dropping fluid into an area of the air intake system where it normally does not drain. I'm just looking for opinions and other owner experiences - so thanks for sharing yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 2007 SE V6 - windshield washer fluid smell in cabin

Not a solution but a "band-aid" fix. There are washer solutions out there with air freshener built into them. If you're gonna smell it, it might as well be more appealing ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm just looking for opinions and other owner experiences ...
Our '93 does it, as does my Crapillac, my previous van and many cars I've had over the years. You'll find some washer fluid has more odor than others, at least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Patrick,
Can't believe that I found somebody else with the exact same problem. At first I thought the dealer had put in the wrong kind of fluid during a recent oil change/service. The smell does kind of burn your eyes and I am a little concerned about its effects.
I have an appointment to bring the car in on Wednesday the 11th and would be more then happy to let you know what they find.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife drives a 07 SE as well, she has not problems yet. However my father in law Service Manager at a Toyota dealership, and his wife drives an 07 as well, I'll ask him about it. If he knows anything I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jprice/BOB,

I have not taken my car to the dealer on this issue, yet...so I would be very interested to hear about your experience and what if anything was done.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer could not find anything wrong. Their answer was to "dilute" the washer fluid. The smell still comes into the cabin. Don't know what my next move should be. I have driven a lot of cars in my life time and have never had this problem.

Bob

·
Registered
514 Posts
The dealer could not find anything wrong. Their answer was to "dilute" the washer fluid. The smell still comes into the cabin. Don't know what my next move should be. I have driven a lot of cars in my life time and have never had this problem.

Bob
Wow/amazing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a thought, but since the odor started during the winter, I am guessing that the windshield washer fluid that the dealer added has a lower freezing point than fluid used during warmer weather. Usually a higher percentage of methol alcohol is in winter washer fluid. What you are probably noticing is the evaporation of the alcohol as it flows to the bottom of the windshield toward the vent intakes. I would bet that switching to summer fluid would decrease the alcohol odor. It might be worth a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that advise. I was unaware that there was a summer and winter washer fluid. I just assumed that it was all the same living in this area. I might try and remove all the washer fluid that's in there now and replace it. Have any ideas on how to do that?
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts