Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got the 2007 Toyota Solara SLE convertible and have been using regular gas since I purchased it in October and it runs just fine.
I noticed some owners are running premium gas in similar models.

Is premium recommended for this car?

Thanks,

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Yes - Premium is recommended for the V6 (SLE) high compression engine (10:1) - check the owner's manual.

I only run premium - performs well and no loss of torque or pinging - and I know it will burn more efficiently so my emissions and cat work well. ;)

When you add up the cost of running premium over regular over a year, it's a couple hundred bucks - which I think is money worthwhile knowing I'm give the engine what it needs. :tu:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any precautions I should know about when switching from regular to permium (i.e. should the tank be completely empty first, should I run any additives, etc?)

Thanks,

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I would maybe run an injector cleaner through a tank full, run it dry, then fill up with premium and disconnect the Neg. terminal on your battery for about 30 minutes and reconnect. This will reset the computer in your car.

Drive it aggressively for that first tank - the computer will make adjustments to the fuel and driving style.

See if you notice any performance or mileage changes after a few tanks. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I've got the 2007 Toyota Solara SLE convertible and have been using regular gas since I purchased it in October and it runs just fine.
I noticed some owners are running premium gas in similar models.

Is premium recommended for this car?

Thanks,

Vic

Hi,

not needed - I was told by Toyota - 87 octane - ok.

Alan Russell

·
Registered
56 Posts
Waste of money using premium gas, the Dealer recommend 87 octane. This not a performance car no matter what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
You guys are trashing your engines... unless you drive like Grandma. :rolleyes:

High compression engines like the 3MZ (10:1 compression ratio) need higher octane for proper performance.

No - it's not a sports car, but it is still a precision engine - which is why they last so long.

Run what you want in your car - hell, put diesel in it if you want - I don't care what you do to your car! I'm going to listen to the manufacturer (not the dealer who wants my service and to buy a new car from them in a couple years). :tu:

·
Registered
326 Posts
:eek: I have an 06 V-6 convertable with an automatic. My drivers manual recomends 89 octane for best performance. I never used it as it runs fine on regular. But than I am an easy driver. Of course, high octane is best for the V-6. Wait till they start using this menthanal gas & other gas made from corn & old cooking oil! I hate to think of us having to use cheap fuel but its coming? Coal miner in Florida

·
Registered
6 Posts
I received my 2008 SLE ragtop. The owner's manual says 87 octane in two places, minimum. I was quite surprised, actually, as I had expected to have to put 91 in it...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Use regular on my 2006 SE and get 19 MPG city and 26/27 highway. This engine dose not require premium gas per the manusal.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Guys - read your manuals better! :eek:

It specifically states that you CAN use the 87 but that 91 or higher is preferred!

I guess it depends on performance and longevity of you ride... if you drive like Grandma and are just leasing your car and don't care if it lasts over 100k then by all means, keep pumping the cheap stuff into it.

High compression engines (like the 3.3 V6, rated at 10:1 compression) need the higher octane to perform well. :tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
3MZ- FE engine: Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number of 96) or higher is recommended
From the Solara manual, emphasis mine... My reading of that is that if you want to race your car, use 91. If you want to jack-rabbit start, use 91. If you want to show off with a "fast" car and get speeding tickets, use 91. If the young lady beside you has a midnight curfew and it's 11:55 and you're 8 miles away, use 91.

If, however, you want to enjoy the fact that it's below 80 for the first time in a week, there's not a cloud in the sky and you can see every star above the tree line, and the young lady beside you is staying in your bed all night no matter what time you get back, 87 octane is just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
From the Solara manual, emphasis mine... My reading of that is that if you want to race your car, use 91. If you want to jack-rabbit start, use 91. If you want to show off with a "fast" car and get speeding tickets, use 91. If the young lady beside you has a midnight curfew and it's 11:55 and you're 8 miles away, use 91.

If, however, you want to enjoy the fact that it's below 80 for the first time in a week, there's not a cloud in the sky and you can see every star above the tree line, and the young lady beside you is staying in your bed all night no matter what time you get back, 87 octane is just fine.
Touche :rolleyes:

I guess if you're worried about the little old lady's wig flying off you better keep it under 40 and use that 87 octane then! LOL!! :D:p

As for me, I'll keep using the recommended 91 - since obviously I've spent $$ on an MAFCi intake, headers and exhaust and suspension components... not trying to impress anyone else - just enjoying the ride! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
LOL... very nice, pxl... Over here on the right coast there's not too many places to open up the throttle and whip around the corners... Now if only i could figure out how to bypass Toyota's STUPID, STUPID, STUPID nanny "features"....

KD

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
^^ Agreed... I am seriously considering doing a manual tranny swap some day and bypass this "slushbox" they call a "sport-shift auto" once and for all! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
OMG, I would LOVE a manual tranny in my convertible... of course, I'd have to win the lottery so I could afford it as a third car... if I pulled out of my parking lot to get a manual put in the one I have now, I'd be served with a temporary restraining order and divorce papers before I even made it to the shop:cry::cry::D

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
OMG, I would LOVE a manual tranny in my convertible... of course, I'd have to win the lottery so I could afford it as a third car... if I pulled out of my parking lot to get a manual put in the one I have now, I'd be served with a temporary restraining order and divorce papers before I even made it to the shop:cry::cry::D
LOL! Get the divorce first, THEN the manual tranny! :tu:

(J/K of course!... well... kinda...) :D:clown:

·
Registered
223 Posts
my wife just bought a 08 SLE convertible. It recommends 87 octane. I have a 99 LC that recommend premium but I have used 87 in it since a few months after I bought it. It now has 135k and runs as smooth now as it did new. I ran the premium in it for a while but the power and mileage increase wasn't enough to justify it. I expect the same will apply to the solara. I think toyota decreased the HP ratings to 210 from 220 when they started recommending 87 octane. Whichever you run, 87 or 91, the Solara isn't going to outrun anything you would brag about. Hell, the 3.5 Camry will blow it's doors off.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Jeff - guess what!

Jeff!
Guess what?
------------------Dianne

1 - 20 of 20 Posts