Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to replace the factory JBL head unit in my 2007 TRD Sport Tacoma with something along the lines of a Pioneer AVIC D3. I stopped by a local installer today and was quoted $1,799.00 installed. I told him that was about $500.00 more than I expected, and he proceded to explain to me that the amplifier won't start up without some sort of data stream that gets transmitted from the JBL head unit, and in order to replace the head unit, you have to buy a $200 part that stores this data from the JBL unit to "trick" the amplifier into thinking it's still attached. I think he said the part was called TLY-K1 or something like that. He basically stressed that it was a big job, and not likely something I could myself. I don't recall this part or problem being mentioned here, and a search provided no joy, so I wanted to see if anyone had some first hand experience to share.

I was under the impression that I could just pull out the JBL head unit, install a dash kit from Scosche, install the AVIC-D3 and be good to go. (Much simplified obviously)

Thanks in advance!
Bravo

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is true that the amp is unique. It needs a special signal to turn on. You can either 1- purcahse that part and use the original amp, 2- have him run the correct number of wire pairs to the amp from the HU, remove the speaker wire from the amp and wire directly to the HU, or 3 - run RCA cables to the original amp location, purchase new amps and wire the speakers to that. It is all up to you. I had the wire pairs ran and used the internals MOSFET amp in the HU to power the speakers. I was thinking about the part you are talking about. It is around 175 but I am no sure how much of a difference you, or I for that matter, will notice with either amp which is why I am hesistant to possibly waste 200. Let us know how you make out.

--Joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Forgot to mention that if you do remove the original amp from the loop, you will loose you sub from the mix. You would need to install a new amp to drive that. I use a small 150watt to drive the original. It gets the job done.

--Joe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've decided to order the Metra TYTO-01 from Circuit City for $80.00. I've been searching the internet and I believe this harness will allow me to use my JBL amp with an aftermarket head unit. I have a silver Scosche dashkit on the way, and I also just ordered the Pioneer AVIC D3 with free rear-view camera, the Bluetooth kit, PAC SWI-PS and iPod interface cable from Crutchfield. I'm gonna try and tackle this install with a friend as soon as everything arrives.

As of right now, I've ordered all of this for about $400.00 less than an installer wanted to install just the head unit with his $200.00 TLY-K1 part. Even if I can't get it done myself, and end up having to have another installer finish it (another installer estimated $1250 for the AVIC D3 installed:confused: ), I'll probably come out spending less than the original quote of $1799. Plus I now have the bonuses of the Bluetooth kit, rear view camera, ipod interface and steering wheel controls.:)

I'll keep you posted if you want.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I installed the D3 last Friday evening, and the Metra harness works! I saved myself, oh around $400.00, plus I got all the extra goodies. :cool: I decided not to go with the free pioneer backup cam. I'm going to install a BOYO VTL300 when it arrives. It's a license plate frame style cam, so it should be much easier to integrate. Here's a pic of the D3 installed.

It's the first time I've ever installed a headunit before, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I also modded it for DVD viewing and Nav use while the truck is in motion. It's a really nice unit. All of my buddies want one now.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts