Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I'd like to get some opinions from some people who own V6 Tacomas with tow packages and who have towed heavy trailers with them. I am thinking about buying a 2007 V6 Tacoma automatic with a tow package, and I'd like to pull a 3,500lb trailer from the eastern US to Las Vegas with it. I'm concerned about how the Taco will handle with that much weight for such a long distance and with such extreme altitude and temperature changes. For those who have had experience pulling similar loads with your V6 Tacomas, do you think that the V6 Tacoma automatic with the tow package would be able to handle this workload without any problems (i.e., no overheating, brake failure, or noticeable wear to the vehicle), or do you think that I should go with the 2007 V6 Tundra automatic instead? Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The truck you're looking at will tow that wieght fine provided you remember that it'll drive like a truck pulling a trailer and not like a sports car. Just make sure you get decent trailer brakes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did tow a 2000 lbs trailer a while back and it hauled with no trouble at all. I don't know if this help but here's a article they did towing on the Tacoma and the rest of the mid-size trucks in 2005. And guess who the came on top?;) Also, edmunds.com did a 2005 tough truck shootout with the tacoma and they did their towing out in Death Valley, Ca @ 115+ temp if you search on their website, good infos FYI.

2005 Tow Vehicle of the Year

The 2007 Tacomas are all similar to 2005 Tacomas soo their is no major difference between them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to tow a 6,000 lb trailer accross the country with my Tacoma. Have a little faith in your vehicle... it can easily handle that load.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like allready said just be smart when braking. Remember what happens when 18 wheelers jackknife? It's pretty ugly. Pulling that much trailer is no problem in the power department.:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi;

I'd like to get some opinions from some people who own V6 Tacomas with tow packages and who have towed heavy trailers with them. I am thinking about buying a 2007 V6 Tacoma automatic with a tow package, and I'd like to pull a 3,500lb trailer from the eastern US to Las Vegas with it. I'm concerned about how the Taco will handle with that much weight for such a long distance and with such extreme altitude and temperature changes. For those who have had experience pulling similar loads with your V6 Tacomas, do you think that the V6 Tacoma automatic with the tow package would be able to handle this workload without any problems (i.e., no overheating, brake failure, or noticeable wear to the vehicle), or do you think that I should go with the 2007 V6 Tundra automatic instead? Thanks.
No problem, its rated for 6500 lbs. I towed the biggest uhaul from Albuquerque to Charlotte, NC, and then from Charlotte to Vermont. Braking issues are the same regardless of what truck you have, be sure you have good trailer brakes. A heavy trailer can push the rear end around on any truck if the trailer doesnt have brakes. The hydraulic surge brakes on the uhaul trailer werent all that great but I never felt it push really hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 06 DC LB towed my 00 SS Camaro vert filled with crap on a uhaul car hauler from OK to WA back in December. The truck was also filled with all my crap as well. Truck performed like a champ! :tu:

·
Registered
682 Posts
3500# for the tacoma with the tow package is a nothing. Testing on Edmunds was done with a 5000# trailer. They liked it for the most part. I also pull a loaded travel trailer that's about 5000# loaded and the truck does pretty good.. especially for a V6. I would recomend a weight distribution hitch though just for stability in general.. that's something I would recomend for any truck though not just the Tacoma.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Speaking of brakes: Most states have a weight limit for towing...relative to trailer brakes: I think the dividing line is around 3,000#. Under 3,000# and NO brakes are required on the trailer. OVER that limit and you may be required to have trailer brakes.

I have been towing a 3,000# boat trailer for over 12 years now with my old '95 Taco V6 4x4 without any problems..No trailer brakes. The brakes on the truck were more than adaquate. I never felt I was on the margin. Make your own judgment. TacoGuy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All ~

I'm glad I ran across your towing conversation. My 2005 Tacoma came with a Trailer Brake Jumper Harness Wire Connection. Is it required/recommended that a Brake Controller be added to the truck when towing? Is it a job that can be done by anyone with basic wiring skills (me ;))?

I'm in the same situation that I'm towing a pop-up trailer (Coleman Tacoma) which I believe is around 3500#. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
459 Posts
3500 lbs? shouldnt be a problem. I've had 4500 trailer with 1200 in the bed. After 2.5 yrs of ownership... with this V6, run premium when towing, costs a little more, but big diff when towing heavy loads.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Speaking of brakes: Most states have a weight limit for towing...relative to trailer brakes: I think the dividing line is around 3,000#. Under 3,000# and NO brakes are required on the trailer. OVER that limit and you may be required to have trailer brakes.

I have been towing a 3,000# boat trailer for over 12 years now with my old '95 Taco V6 4x4 without any problems..No trailer brakes. The brakes on the truck were more than adaquate. I never felt I was on the margin. Make your own judgment. TacoGuy
I agree. I've got a 3500# boat/trailer with no brakes too and while stopping distance is longer so you have to plan ahead more, it's not really a problem if you stay alert. The key to not jackknifing is to be absolutely sure to NOT get into a situation where you have to brake hard while turning. Bad things can happen....but obviously with 12 years of incident free towing, you already know that.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't see power or cooling being an issue, but spend the $150.00 or so & buy a controller. I bought my Prodigy @ a local camping center & paid $165.00 for the controller & plug & play harness. Simple to install, & can be easily removed when not in use. Why take a chance, or roast the Taco's brakes for that cash?

I was in the construction equip business a few years back, & had the brakes of my Ram 2500 HD 4X4 (8500 GVWR) fade while towing a small skid loader w/ no trailer brakes, NOT a fun experience!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to be concerned about towing with my Tacoma as well. Just returned from a trip pulling a 24 ft camper trailer. Absolutely no problem for this truck. Get the brake controller to be safe.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the 2005 w/tow package and regularly tow our 5500lb boat. The truck handles the weight fine, with no problem accelerating up hills. The boat has surge brakes so I don't need the controller, but I do use one when towing our 3200lb trailer. With the prodigy set correctly, you don't even know the trailer is behind you when braking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts