Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up an 07 DC this coming week and need to transport something in the bed that's approximately 22.6" tall just like the bed is without the factory bed liner. Does anyone know which tonneau covers add a little bit of clearance to the stock depth of the truck so I can fit this in there. FWIW, its a Shifter Kart if someone happens to have tried exactly this. Thanks in advance for the answers.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
oh crap. um....my co worker just had one put on his truck last week. its black textured like my armorlid or the undercovers, but it doesnt overlap the bed sides at all, it sits right on top of the bed rails and also goes up about 2 or 3 inches...let me see if i can find out what the brand is. i dont particularly like it for my own truck but it sounds like it would be perfect for you...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm picking up an 07 DC this coming week and need to transport something in the bed that's approximately 22.6" tall just like the bed is without the factory bed liner. Does anyone know which tonneau covers add a little bit of clearance to the stock depth of the truck so I can fit this in there. FWIW, its a Shifter Kart if someone happens to have tried exactly this. Thanks in advance for the answers.
Perhaps one of those hard fiberglass caps...they always seem to stick up a bit above the bed. I think they are probably a little pricey tho.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that would be useful though the styling you mentioned is less than ideal. Unfortunately this would be huge for me to avoid towing for races I don't need a trailer. The one I have in mind is the ARE LSII but I cannot judge if its underneath makes it taller than the actual bed itself.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
You may be the first person I ever suggested this to but you may be best served by a spray in liner. When you need to save every mm, it may make the difference. Another idea would be to get a topper. Plenty of room and if your machine gets taller, you'll still fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about a roll up cover??
I guess if it really adds bed depth and is lockable. I'm trying to secure my kart for overnight stays in hotels.

You may be the first person I ever suggested this to but you may be best served by a spray in liner. When you need to save every mm, it may make the difference. Another idea would be to get a topper. Plenty of room and if your machine gets taller, you'll still fit.
This is a really good point about the spray in liner. As for a topper, what is it exactly you have in mind? I don't want a shell because the wife and I both do not like how they look. This is why a raised tonneau seems like the best solution out of what I have seen reading Tundra forums for several months now.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
The tailgate locks. I have the Truxedo TruxPort. To roll it back, you have to lower the tailgate. Someone would have to cut the cover and the bars to get to what is in the bed. I have left stuff in mine overnite many times. I use my bed, so a hard top was not an option for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tailgate locks. I have the Truxedo TruxPort. To roll it back, you have to lower the tailgate. Someone would have to cut the cover and the bars to get to what is in the bed. I have left stuff in mine overnite many times. I use my bed, so a hard top was not an option for me.
Does it gain any room over the top of the bed walls? I saw that one and I like it a lot but it looks like it loses room if anything.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
They are all pretty much designed to be sleek and streamlined to the walls. The fiberglass tonneau (hinged) may give you a couple of inches. You might do some searching for some sort of utility mini-topper shell. Not quite as big and bulky as a regular topper. Something like this one?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting idea but I think that's probably uglier than a regular cap. Thanks for the ideas guys, please keep them coming.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Guess if your only talking a few mm to clear why not simply just let the air out fo the tires on the cart during transport times or get a folding unit thast basicly flush. I got the BakFlip HD unit. Leve it folded if you need more hieght and the weatehr nice and at night let the ait out of the tires and lock it down.

:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe a half inch. I did not loose any space. Here is what I have. TruXport ? Economical, Soft Roll-up Tonneau Cover
Thanks, I'll check it out closely. I really like the roll ups since you never know when you need to remove a tonneau to haul something that will not fit under one.

Guess if your only talking a few mm to clear why not simply just let the air out fo the tires on the cart during transport times or get a folding unit thast basicly flush. I got the BakFlip HD unit. Leve it folded if you need more hieght and the weatehr nice and at night let the ait out of the tires and lock it down.
Unfortunately with karts like this, there is only a 3/8" or so of ground clearance so its a very minor gain even if I can manage to get the tires to deflate enough to do that. Naturally my goal is to get something I don't need to do anything to the kart to transport it otherwise I might as well use my trailer or get a cap.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
forgot about this thread.

but his is a venture cover made by penda..
Penda Automotive | Venture

hard to tell but on his, his sits even on the top of the bedrails, not overlapping like mine, and his goes up considerably in the middle...cant help but think that would help a little...maybe u can find a retailer in ur area and see it in person...

also if u click through the pics they have, the last one has a cutaway and uc an see hwo the smooth underside kinda bows up and is higher than the bedrail so maybe that will help?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the idea about the Venture. I finally got my truck yesterday so now I'm serious about a cover. The Armorlid looks like it would work. Since you have one 07DC, do you gain any height in the middle between the wheel wells, thats where i need about 3/4" clearance from the top of the bed rails.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a follow-up. I talked with Truck Alterations and decided I would give the Truxsport cover a try first. They were great to work with, the price was unbeatable, and it works for what I need, see the attached pics. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/advice.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
Just a follow-up. I talked with Truck Alterations and decided I would give the Truxsport cover a try first. They were great to work with, the price was unbeatable, and it works for what I need, see the attached pics. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/advice.
For the price you cant beat it. They are great to work with. I bought mine from him as well. Congrats!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
So what's you opinion on the Trusxport cover? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? You install it yourself?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what's you opinion on the Trusxport cover? If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? You install it yourself?
This is a bit of a loaded question. This is my first and only tonneau I've ever owned so I can only comment on how it is based on a comparison of never owning another... With that in mind, I really like it. I paid $236 shipped and I installed it myself. Installation took about 15 minutes and I consider myself a competent mechanic but I would suspect someone who is not would take less than an hour. The quality is good and I love how it used the factory bed rails properly (they have a version for those that don't have them). I just ran it through a car wash today and it held up just fine as it they said you could do so. I got a bit of water in the but that was expected as you need to put a seal on the tailgate and a seal near the cab to make it closer to water-tight. In all, I would definitely buy another one and recommend it to others understanding the limitations which to me are very small given the price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts