Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a trailer soon because I need something to live in.. I have the 2007 5.7L doublecab longbed Tundra and I am struggling to decide what to choose a 5th wheel or travel trailer?

Anyone know of a good page that explains the pros/cons of each?

I really like that 5th wheels have the tall ceililngs and make use of the bed overhang for the bedroom...

I'm going to be living/traveling in my trailer doing computer work.. I will be parked in one spot for 2-4 weeks at a time.

My priorities are:
1. Towing safety
2. Tall ceilings
3. Open trailers/few walls and less junk (want to live in it)

Anyone know if there are hideaway goose neck hitch adapters available yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the new '07's towing and weight carrying capacities. I do know that for my '06 there are very few 5'ers out there that fit within the capacities of the truck. Not saying they don't exist, they are just not as easy to find as bumper pull trailers. Part of the problem is most all 5'ers are pretty decked out compared to bumper pull trailers (it's considered a "set up" for the most part to have a 5'er). All the extras like tile floors, granite counter tops, glass showers, super slide outs, and extra high ceilings add LOTS of weight!

I'd think the size of 5'er you'd have to settle for so the tundra can pull it would end up not having those supper tall ceilings you like anyway. 5'ers can have a pin weight between 15-20% of the trailers gross. Bumper pulls have only a 9-12% hitch weight in comparison.

Let's look at the numbers:
Max Towing capacity = 10,500 lbs
Max payload = 1,655 lbs

You can not go above either one of those numbers and you can not add them together. Meaning you can not have a 10,500 lbs trailer (axle weight) and have the bed loaded to 1,655 lbs.

It's no secret that 5'ers are a favorite among full timers due to all the luxury's, space, and superb towing manners. I'd love to have a 5'er one day, but for now I have to take too much "stuff" with me in the back of the truck that wouldn't be possible if I had a 5'er hitch back there.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Fifth wheel i would say is by far safer to tow that a TT. I see a lot of the TT off the road demolished here.
I have a 6200 lb 5th wheel that i will be towing with my 07 RC DC. It has a pin weight (dry) of 1240 lbs. I'll be pretty close to max weight, but i feel more comfortable towing a 5er. I've had TT house trailers in the past, and i will not go back.
THE problem i am having is B&W has not made my hitch yet. So i may have to go with a universal type gooseneck hitch. Which means i'll have 2 1" high rails in my bed at all times.:td:
But, if you go with a 5er, just be sure to watch the pin weights.

·
Registered
318 Posts
THE problem i am having is B&W has not made my hitch yet. So i may have to go with a universal type gooseneck hitch....
Gooseneck hitch?? Surely you haven't converted your 5th wheel camper to a gooseneck? I hear doing so puts a lot of stress on the frame of the camper.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Gooseneck hitch?? Surely you haven't converted your 5th wheel camper to a gooseneck? I hear doing so puts a lot of stress on the frame of the camper.
Yes, gooseneck.

I did this so i can tow the horsetrailer with my truck. Yes, i know what you're talking about as far as stressing the frame. This particular manufacturer (kz) authorizes the use of goose type hitches. You must be sure that the trailer has enough support to do so though.

Oh, just ordered my hidden hitch today ($399 shipped). She'll be here in about a week. Now i can go camping!!!! But really, i just want to see how the tundy handles the load. hahaha;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
You might try a search or posting the question on the RV.net towing forum. There is a lot of good knowledge over there. I've noticed, though, that most of the 5th wheel fans will tell you not to tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck.

You definitely have to work out the numbers, but that applies to towing travel trailers as well.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I agree that rv.net is quick to dismiss 5er towing with a 1/2 ton truck. I guess it is bourne of the 500th time someone joins up and says they just bought a 30BHSS umpty squat 5er and the dealer said they could tow it no problem with their 1/2 ton. Then they look for validation that they're ok because other folks do it and they don't want to upgrade their tow vehicle.

Run the numbers. If the weights work, a 5er is a fine choice for either the old or new Tundra. As long as real weights are used. I thought travel trailer hitch weights were deflated, but not nearly so bad as 5er pin weights manufacturers put in brochures. Plan on 20% of the GVWR of the 5er you are looking at. If you can handle that weight within the limits, then you should be good to go.

Tom

·
Registered
302 Posts
You need to determine what size trailer/fiver you need for living in full time. I'd say the max total trailer weight for the fiver would be around 8K for the 07 Tundra [8000 X .15 = 1200 pounds pin weight]. In that weight range you can find several light weight fivers [Aerolite, Starcraft, etc.] that your 07 Tundra should be able to handle. I'd get a fiver hitch installed first and then test tow some of the fivers and get some actual weights while on the "test tow"!!
I have found that the small 18 to 19 foot TTs [I have towed my FunFinder 189 with no special hitch set up, no sway control, etc] tow as well as a fiver but of course you are getting much less living space in these compared to a 26 to 30 foot fiver. I did not like the feel of a 30 foot TT in-tow behind a 99 F250 so I doubt I would like the "feel" towing one this size with the Tundra. I towed a 28 foot Aerolite fiver with the same F250 and it was great towing!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You need to determine what size trailer/fiver you need for living in full time. I'd say the max total trailer weight for the fiver would be around 8K for the 07 Tundra [8000 X .15 = 1200 pounds pin weight]. In that weight range you can find several light weight fivers [Aerolite, Starcraft, etc.] that your 07 Tundra should be able to handle. I'd get a fiver hitch installed first and then test tow some of the fivers and get some actual weights while on the "test tow"!!
I have found that the small 18 to 19 foot TTs [I have towed my FunFinder 189 with no special hitch set up, no sway control, etc] tow as well as a fiver but of course you are getting much less living space in these compared to a 26 to 30 foot fiver. I did not like the feel of a 30 foot TT in-tow behind a 99 F250 so I doubt I would like the "feel" towing one this size with the Tundra. I towed a 28 foot Aerolite fiver with the same F250 and it was great towing!
I don't think i would ever tow a TT that was over 24' in length. No matter what truck i had. You're taking a huge risk with one over 24'. I used to own a terry 23' TT & it towed fine, but the minute you started going down hill you'd better slow her down. My brother had a 25' TT and was darn near pushed completely off the road by a side wind. Not cool.

Now we own 25' 5th wheel trailers, and honestly i will never go back to a TT.
With a fifth wheel, you add the 20% pin weight to the truck which in turn gives you better stability. Because now the trailer does not out-weigh the truck. And you're not as long either.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 5er can be done if you stay within the weight limits; that's the hard part. 5th wheels are specifically discussed in the '07 Owner's manual. One smart thing you've already done is the long bed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I prefer a TT for now..
Really like the use of my truck box..
I have a 25ft TT, no probs..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you towed your 5er yet? I bought a 07 DC 4 x 4 and thought it would work well with my 5er. My pin weight dry is 1350, but by the time you add driver, fuel and the hitch itself, I am about 500+ lbs over the payload capacity as computed per the owners manual. I have been told not to worry about payload as much as ability to pull and stop. With the 381 horse 5.7 and the oversize brakes those issues seem to be ok. I would be very interested to have your take on how well the Tundra does the job for you.
abeever

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Have you towed your 5er yet? I bought a 07 DC 4 x 4 and thought it would work well with my 5er. My pin weight dry is 1350, but by the time you add driver, fuel and the hitch itself, I am about 500+ lbs over the payload capacity as computed per the owners manual. I have been told not to worry about payload as much as ability to pull and stop. With the 381 horse 5.7 and the oversize brakes those issues seem to be ok. I would be very interested to have your take on how well the Tundra does the job for you.
abeever
Yes, the truck handles it awesome. :tu: I'm very pleased.

500lbs over is nothing. I wouldn't sweat it at all. The ability to pull & stop is great on this truck.
My 6200lb 5er has 1250 pin weight & the truck looks level when loaded. I tow it in Seq. mode 5th gear & it works great. It will hold it in 5th on the flat & on some small hills if i'm going over 72mph. I don't set the cruise because it will sometimes go to 3rd, and i don't like that. Fourth pulls most hills around here with no problem. I'm also very pleased with the straitline ability when on the freeway. The truck is very stable & secure.
Oh, i can't forget............the truck has plenty of power for ANY hill. :tu:

I also tow our new 5er 4-horse trailer, and it pulls that better even though it's about 3000 lbs heavier. It's got to be the wind resistance.

Overall, i am very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
500 lbs overweight is most certainly something. Well, really, it's only a 33% exceedence of your payload capacity. If you exceed the GVWR, more power to ya. Take your chances. Maybe you'll win, maybe you'll lose. If you exceed the RAWR or tire ratings, please post your route of travel so everyone can avoid you.

Just because the truck has a lot of power doesn't mean it's now the tow boss. Stay within your weight limits. Weigh your rig and know where you stand. This is not a 3/4 ton truck as far as payload capacity. It's just a regular old 1/2 ton with a monster drive train in it.

Maybe I'll go hook up my dad's bulldozer on the triple axle trailer and tow it down route 50 and then come back and boast of my manly towing. It only weighs about 16,000 lbs. nah.

Tom

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
500 lbs overweight is most certainly something. Well, really, it's only a 33% exceedence of your payload capacity. If you exceed the GVWR, more power to ya. Take your chances. Maybe you'll win, maybe you'll lose. If you exceed the RAWR or tire ratings, please post your route of travel so everyone can avoid you.

Just because the truck has a lot of power doesn't mean it's now the tow boss. Stay within your weight limits. Weigh your rig and know where you stand. This is not a 3/4 ton truck as far as payload capacity. It's just a regular old 1/2 ton with a monster drive train in it.

Maybe I'll go hook up my dad's bulldozer on the triple axle trailer and tow it down route 50 and then come back and boast of my manly towing. It only weighs about 16,000 lbs. nah.

I would recomend not overloading your tires, that could be dangerous. I run 10-ply tires on mine with 60 lbs of air in all 4 when towing.

I'd say 16k is a little much for your tundra, or even ours. I think i'll just stay within the 10k lbs, okay?

Come on now tom, 500 lbs? I think you're being a little anal here.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
500 lbs over on the GCWR would be tolerable. That's only 3.2% or so. 500 lbs over on the GVWR of the truck is not.

1580 lbs 2007 DC 4x4 cargo capacity
-1350 dry pin weight
-200 lbs 5er hitch weight
-180 lbs driver
= -150 lbs

Given the known fact that payload capacities are based on stock trucks and dry pin weights are always low, his estimate of 500+ lbs overweight is probably spot on. That's 32% overweight. I can't imagine he'll tow with an empty truck, so that can only get worse. If you think that's anal, you're entitled to your opinion.

My recommendation, as always, is to weigh the rig and get real data. Determine exactly where you sit and decide whether you want to tow overweight. I can live with a little over on GCWR. I can live with a little over on GVWR. But 32% is more than a little and outside my range of acceptable exceedence.

Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
Possibly good to remind everyone of the reports of overloaded rigs involved in serious accidents being treated as criminal cases by law enforcement in some states as opposed to normal accidents if they are at fault. The cases that have been discussed were pretty extreme but it may be well to keep in mind that there may be considerations other than just whether we can handle the weight in most situations.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK, you guys all had me scared a few months back after making the "mistake" of buying the '07 Tundra DC w/ 5.7L to tow my 31BHS 8,000 lb TT, 4 kids, wife, 2 dogs, 6 bikes etc.
OK, not denying an oil burner would be nice (for $50k!), but 2,000 miles later, up and down many of California's mountain passes and several hundred miles of highway 1 and 101 coast highway, the Tundra does just fine, thank you very much!
My modus operendi:
55 Max (it's the law after all here)
Check tire pressures religiously
Tranny in the "Selectronic" mode, engine braking down hills (yea, I know it will do it for you in D, but if you do it yourself, you're in the right gear before it sees you braking.
Buy water, groceries etc. after you get where you're going as much as possible.
I have found the Tundra to be stable, powerful, great braking, smooth etc. No white knuckles. I may go ahead and add a set of suspension air bags now that they are out, but I think the oil-burning truck is a few years off for me. The Tundra will do fine for now.
That's my $.02
K

·
Registered
9 Posts
abeever: I would like to know how your experience with the set up you discribed went. Did you beef up the springs with airbags or superspings to overcome the relatively heavy hitchweight of 1350 lbs? And, you have added about 150 lbs to the hitch with the load you described. I know this post was quite awhile ago, but I am interested because I am seriously considering a 5ver for my new DC with tow package.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts