Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 'new to me' 2007 5.7 Double Cab. Didn't notice the incessant rattle coming from what sounded like the suspension. Had the dealer look at it, they heard it and tightened the entire front suspension system down. Still had the rattle. Sounded like a hollow plastic box being tapped on and only made the noise when rolling/moving.

Read about the piston slap and ruled that out. Read about a piece of trash inside the tire (the dealer put brand new tires on the truck when I bought it, so that was plausible) and ruled that out. Read another post on this forum where there was some loose plastic inside the dash, behind the radio, where the vents joined up. Took apart the dash (yeah, I have had the truck since Tuesday of this past week, 5 days, and my dash is already in multiple pieces. My wife thought I was nuts...). Applied the fix per his posting, but it didn't help, directly at least.

When I was being an amateur contortionist, I moved the truck, rolling it forward on the wheels, it moved all of an inch, but I heard the noise!

The source? The computer mounted directly under the glove box. It passes through the firewall and the firewall acts like the head of a drum and amplifies the noise. I popped the hood, whipped out the 10mm socket and tightened the four bolts, which did move, but not whole lot, along with chasing down the large bundle of wiring and any place it attached via bracket to the firewall, but a bulk, if not 100% of the noise, was coming from the computer mounted through the firewall.

Hope this post helps you track down the noise. :amen:

Dean

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I like that your first post is a solution and not some stupid question that's been asked 10,000 times!! Good job man and Congrats on the truck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts